Villages Relocation Services?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-27-2021, 10:06 AM
kp11364 kp11364 is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 55
Thanks: 36
Thanked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Default Villages Relocation Services?

Hi everyone,

Pre-planning my move to TV. Has anyone recently used this service? This is a "package deal" with realtors on both ends and movers as well. I'm very interested in hearing about the moving companies selected and how the move went. I really want to use a particular realtor up here in NYC and I'm waiting to hear if they are one of their "selected" realtors.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
  #2  
Old 07-27-2021, 10:10 AM
Toymeister's Avatar
Toymeister Toymeister is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,181
Thanks: 45
Thanked 1,305 Times in 412 Posts
Default

I would avoid. They are using RE agents on your end which are paying 10% of their commission for the lead. The best agents do not have to pay for leads.

Likewise, they are getting a cut of the moving company.

Why not simply shop for the best service at the best price?
  #3  
Old 07-27-2021, 10:33 AM
kp11364 kp11364 is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 55
Thanks: 36
Thanked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I would avoid. They are using RE agents on your end which are paying 10% of their commission for the lead. The best agents do not have to pay for leads.

Likewise, they are getting a cut of the moving company.

Why not simply shop for the best service at the best price?
I was thinking along the same lines - what I'm most interested in is to hear from folks that have moved recently from NY/NJ/PA/CT - looking for a full-service mover that did a very good job in terms of packing/unpacking, timely delivery, etc.
  #4  
Old 07-27-2021, 11:55 AM
LuvtheVillages LuvtheVillages is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 278
Thanks: 62
Thanked 346 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines - what I'm most interested in is to hear from folks that have moved recently from NY/NJ/PA/CT - looking for a full-service mover that did a very good job in terms of packing/unpacking, timely delivery, etc.
It’s important to downsize before you move. Movers charge by weight. For the price you pay them you can purchase new furniture for your new home. Florida styles are very different than what you have up north. You will soon be wanting new furniture anyways.

Sell it, donate it, but don’t move it. Only bring warm weather clothes and sentimental items.
  #5  
Old 07-27-2021, 12:20 PM
Stu from NYC Stu from NYC is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5,708
Thanks: 601
Thanked 7,996 Times in 2,625 Posts
Default

Some years ago before we moved here looked into this and too many hands in the cookie jar making it an expensive way to relocate.
  #6  
Old 07-27-2021, 01:12 PM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,531
Thanks: 32
Thanked 867 Times in 448 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
Hi everyone,

Pre-planning my move to TV. Has anyone recently used this service? This is a "package deal" with realtors on both ends and movers as well. I'm very interested in hearing about the moving companies selected and how the move went. I really want to use a particular realtor up here in NYC and I'm waiting to hear if they are one of their "selected" realtors.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
An interesting approach but totally foreign to my view. Sort of like a mail order bride.
The trip from NYC to the Villages is fairly easy and compared to the price of a house very little cost. A realtor is another name for a sales person. They will sell the pluses of what they are trying to sell and will not mention any minuses.

Having the mover pack? I did my own packing. I photoed every item put into the box.
Your valuable glass, whatever, packer it was chipped when I packed it. Gold, whatever, we never saw that. I too am an ex-New Yorker. Perhaps, far less trusting.

Aside, many years ago, I did concealed shortages on expensive stuff. Everyone of my boxes was not only sealed with packing tape, they were glued. There is no way as it typically done they could cut the bottom of a box and reseal it.
  #7  
Old 07-27-2021, 01:30 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 14,139
Thanks: 386
Thanked 1,348 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
It’s important to downsize before you move. Movers charge by weight. For the price you pay them you can purchase new furniture for your new home. Florida styles are very different than what you have up north. You will soon be wanting new furniture anyways.

Sell it, donate it, but don’t move it. Only bring warm weather clothes and sentimental items.
I disagree. We could never have replaced all of our furniture for the cost of our move (two houses three states apart) down to TV. That said, there were a lot of things I donated before the move that I now regret. I don't regret anything I brought, except for one thing that just wasn't the right size when we got it in the house, but we sold it quickly.

I spent a lot of time & $ choosing that furniture, and I was not about to give it up.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #8  
Old 07-27-2021, 01:30 PM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,531
Thanks: 32
Thanked 867 Times in 448 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines - what I'm most interested in is to hear from folks that have moved recently from NY/NJ/PA/CT - looking for a full-service mover that did a very good job in terms of packing/unpacking, timely delivery, etc.
There is a recent thread about long distance movers. My sister worked in accounting for a major mover. No I did not get a discount. I was supposed to get the best crew, by name. Honest etc. They are most like the old jokes about used car salesmen.

Packing and unpacking any of them will do it for a fee. In terms of major long distance movers, they have several crews, some are better than others. Packing and unpacking. They do not take the people who pack with them from NY to Florida. As far as unpacking, not sure what they will or can do. Stuff like glassware. Will they unwrap it? Put it away? Would you want them, expect them, to do that?
  #9  
Old 07-27-2021, 01:40 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 14,139
Thanks: 386
Thanked 1,348 Times in 612 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
There is a recent thread about long distance movers. My sister worked in accounting for a major mover. No I did not get a discount. I was supposed to get the best crew, by name. Honest etc. They are most like the old jokes about used car salesmen.

Packing and unpacking any of them will do it for a fee. In terms of major long distance movers, they have several crews, some are better than others. Packing and unpacking. They do not take the people who pack with them from NY to Florida. As far as unpacking, not sure what they will or can do. Stuff like glassware. Will they unwrap it? Put it away? Would you want them, expect them, to do that?
Packing wasn't so much more expensive than our last move (to storage when would be gone for a year). The house sold in a couple of hours for the right price, and we wanted to accommodate the buyers, who wanted to have possession before returning to NY. Couldn't pack ourselves in just a couple of weeks.

Unpacking I preferred to do myself--er, ourselves.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181206_165656051_HDR.jpg
Views:	1288
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	90236  
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #10  
Old 07-27-2021, 01:56 PM
kp11364 kp11364 is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 55
Thanks: 36
Thanked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
There is a recent thread about long distance movers. My sister worked in accounting for a major mover. No I did not get a discount. I was supposed to get the best crew, by name. Honest etc. They are most like the old jokes about used car salesmen.

Packing and unpacking any of them will do it for a fee. In terms of major long distance movers, they have several crews, some are better than others. Packing and unpacking. They do not take the people who pack with them from NY to Florida. As far as unpacking, not sure what they will or can do. Stuff like glassware. Will they unwrap it? Put it away? Would you want them, expect them, to do that?
I'd expect them to move the furniture into the rooms where they belong, and move the boxes that belong in each room to that room. I'd do the rest.
  #11  
Old 07-27-2021, 02:27 PM
Robbie0723 Robbie0723 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,117
Thanks: 702
Thanked 813 Times in 360 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
Hi everyone,

Pre-planning my move to TV. Has anyone recently used this service? This is a "package deal" with realtors on both ends and movers as well. I'm very interested in hearing about the moving companies selected and how the move went. I really want to use a particular realtor up here in NYC and I'm waiting to hear if they are one of their "selected" realtors.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
My experience was great, well coordinated and cost was lower than doing it myself. Similar to my employer relo services.

They suggest realtors who are corporate relocation specialist.

You can select your own realtor.

The move is scheduled from the Villages so if there is a problem, they have corporate influence.

Last edited by Robbie0723; 07-27-2021 at 03:50 PM.
  #12  
Old 07-27-2021, 02:43 PM
Robbie0723 Robbie0723 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,117
Thanks: 702
Thanked 813 Times in 360 Posts
Default

/// duplicate.
  #13  
Old 07-27-2021, 03:42 PM
Chi-Town's Avatar
Chi-Town Chi-Town is online now
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,667
Thanks: 30
Thanked 660 Times in 328 Posts
Default

I used the relocation service 11 years ago and was glad I did. They lined up two top realtors from different companies to make my choice, and three different moving companies' proposals at corporate rates. And they followed the progress of the ongoing sale.
If they so the same now it makes for less angst.

Last edited by Chi-Town; 07-27-2021 at 04:01 PM.
  #14  
Old 07-27-2021, 04:20 PM
Stu from NYC Stu from NYC is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5,708
Thanks: 601
Thanked 7,996 Times in 2,625 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
There is a recent thread about long distance movers. My sister worked in accounting for a major mover. No I did not get a discount. I was supposed to get the best crew, by name. Honest etc. They are most like the old jokes about used car salesmen.

Packing and unpacking any of them will do it for a fee. In terms of major long distance movers, they have several crews, some are better than others. Packing and unpacking. They do not take the people who pack with them from NY to Florida. As far as unpacking, not sure what they will or can do. Stuff like glassware. Will they unwrap it? Put it away? Would you want them, expect them, to do that?
We moved from Roanoke Va to the villages 18 months ago. Driver got two helpers from Wash DC (250 miles away) and they were great.

The movers sent over a few people for packing and they did a good job on fragile and expensive stuff like TV's.

At the villages he got two helpers from Tampa and not so great. They broke several things and hid the damage from us. Not very expensive stuff so we let it go but did leave a bad taste.
  #15  
Old 07-27-2021, 04:33 PM
delima2000 delima2000 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mira Mesa
Posts: 587
Thanks: 7
Thanked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Default

No don’t do it. We did on our move from Michigan to tv and the house was listed by one of their suggested realtor. House sat on the market for 6 months with no one looking at it. Took the listing off and asked the agent and he told us that he had to give part of his commission to the villages. He didn’t want to put the effort in to selling the house. Went with another agent without the villages help and sold the house in one day. This was 12 years ago. Things might have changed
Reply

Tags
realtors, move, selected, companies, villages

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.