Vintage Car Repair

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2021, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

https://www.hotcars.com/15-cars-with...ever-recorded/

I’m surprised, being majority mileage don’t register over 100K miles. So verified documents would have to come into play.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Agree! If you have skill. How many today would even know what dwell angle is, or how to adjust crack opening on carburetor? I use to be motorcraft/autolite master. Easiest carburetor I ever rebuilt was autolite 2100 and 4100s. Qudrajets and Carter’s require bending of adjustment rods to get choke right. A real pain!

Any new car now if you even think of working on it you have to have scan tool. Even if you got scan tool you have to be able to figure out how to use it. Just another layer of knowledge you have to have IMO.
Still have my Sun Pro Tune Up Kit even though I swapped the dual point distributor in the Plymouth to Electronic Ignition 40 years ago! Rebuilt a few carbs in my time, never cared for it much as the metal in most old carbs was junk to begin with and only got worse with age.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
Still have my Sun Pro Tune Up Kit even though I swapped the dual point distributor in the Plymouth to Electronic Ignition 40 years ago! Rebuilt a few carbs in my time, never cared for it much as the metal in most old carbs was junk to begin with and only got worse with age.
I found that only the throttle plate bushings would wear out causing vacuum leak. Everything else was rebuildable. I had dual points in my 69 GTX which was in early 70’s.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:07 PM

Thanks again for all the responses..

My first car was a P1800...was in college then! It got me home after many a party!

Google, "most miles on a car". It was a P1800. Some guy in NY went 3 million miles on his car -- his clutch lasted more than 400K!

I do agree they are hot. AC's on those don't work that great. Very simple to work on. Imperative to get one of the later ones that had Fuel Injection, not carbs.

Passed on the last one, looking at another one now! Will check with Cech Bros. Thanks a lot.
Closed Thread

Tags
suggestions, vintage, rely, locally, mechanic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.