vinyl siding painters

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Default vinyl siding painters

Looking for a quality vinyl siding painter
Old 08-31-2017, 03:09 PM
Platinum member

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If anybody can paint vinyl siding, it would be either Omar Painting 352-775-0532 or Investment Painters 352-446-7334. However, like Faugoofy said, I never heard of anyone painting vinyl siding. Usually you power wash the siding and after ten years or so when it has faded, you can replace the sides facing the sun. Omar's price for painting the outside of a masonry CYV is roughtly $1600 and a designer home can be twice that, so be glad you don't have to get your place repainted.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradV View Post
Looking for a quality vinyl siding painter
Brad, we used a company called Steve Kling Painting. I can't come up with their phone number for you but I can tell you if your experience is like ours they you will be thrilled. They even help you to not make a color mistake with your choices. They are very diplomatic about it also. Not the cheapest definitely not the most expensive, I had a estimate from a TOTV favorite that was almost double Kling's price. Good work Good People Good Price. Good Luck & Welcome. They paint Aluminum & Vinyl siding near us all the time. I believe Sherwin Williams is the only paint Kling uses use.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Nucky, I wouldn't of believed it, but after your post I looked into painting vinyl siding. Yes, it can be done but there is a lot more work that has to be done. If you don't do it properly, this is how it will look.

The Villages Florida

Proper Surface Prep

As with any other substrate, vinyl siding needs to be prep'd prior to painting. But the good thing about vinyl is that the amount of surface prep required is often less than that of other types of siding.

Usually a good pre-paint cleaning with some Liquid TSP Substitute will do the job of removing dirt and grime just fine. The only decision you have to make is whether to do your pre-paint cleaning by hand-scrubbing or pressure washing.

If you have mold, mildew, or algae problems you can mix your concentrated Liquid TSP Substitute with a gallon of warm water and one quart of household chlorine bleach. Apply any cleaning solutions that contain bleach to the surface with a pressurized garden-type sprayer rather than using the chemical injector on your pressure washer so you can better control the spray and keep it from getting on unintended surfaces. And be sure to always wear eye protection.

Choosing The Wrong Color Can Warp Your Siding

As many people have found out the hard way, applying a paint color that's darker than the original color of the siding can absorb and trap heat from the sun between the coating and the vinyl causing it to warp beyond repair. This limitation has had many folks regretting their decision to choose vinyl over other materials.

Fortunately, technology has recently come to the rescue to expand the color palette that can be safely applied. With the introduction of Sherwin-Williams' VinylSafe™ Color Pallette that ensures darker colors won't absorb heat, homeowners can now choose from over 100 colors to use on their vinyl.

VinylSafe colors can be tinted in several of SW's popular exterior paints, such as SuperPaint, Duration, Resilience, and Emerald.

Making Sure It Sticks

As for the concern of paint sticking to vinyl, many of today's high-quality 100% acrylic coatings will adhere well to the siding. But there's only one way to tell for sure, and that's to apply a test patch to the siding and perform an adhesion test.

To perform an adhesion test:

Apply the new paint to a few small areas (12” x 12” or so) on different sides of the home, then allow it to dry for a few days.
Take a break-away razor knife or a utility knife with a sharp blade and score the surface of the newly-applied paint in a checkerboard pattern (like you’re playing tic-tac-toe), and also with some X’s so that the lines intersect at sharp angles. Make sure you use firm enough pressure that your scored lines penetrate the new coating.
Take some good quality clear packing tape and apply the tape over top of the scored areas. Use your hand to apply firm pressure to the tape to make sure it is well-adhered to the surface. Grab a corner of the tape and peel it off of the surface at a sharp angle.
If you have only a very small amount of paint film on the tape then you should have good enough adhesion to paint, but if anything more than a very small amount of paint film comes off onto the tape then you do not.
If the adhesion test fails then you will either need to apply a full prime coat prior to painting, or choose a higher-quality paint.

The Villages Florida

(352) 267-7184
Old 08-31-2017, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Nucky, I wouldn't of believed it, but after your post I looked into painting vinyl siding. Yes, it can be done but there is a lot more work that has to be done. If you don't do it properly, this is how it will look.

The Villages Florida

Proper Surface Prep

As with any other substrate, vinyl siding needs to be prep'd prior to painting. But the good thing about vinyl is that the amount of surface prep required is often less than that of other types of siding.

Usually a good pre-paint cleaning with some Liquid TSP Substitute will do the job of removing dirt and grime just fine. The only decision you have to make is whether to do your pre-paint cleaning by hand-scrubbing or pressure washing.

If you have mold, mildew, or algae problems you can mix your concentrated Liquid TSP Substitute with a gallon of warm water and one quart of household chlorine bleach. Apply any cleaning solutions that contain bleach to the surface with a pressurized garden-type sprayer rather than using the chemical injector on your pressure washer so you can better control the spray and keep it from getting on unintended surfaces. And be sure to always wear eye protection.

Choosing The Wrong Color Can Warp Your Siding

As many people have found out the hard way, applying a paint color that's darker than the original color of the siding can absorb and trap heat from the sun between the coating and the vinyl causing it to warp beyond repair. This limitation has had many folks regretting their decision to choose vinyl over other materials.

Fortunately, technology has recently come to the rescue to expand the color palette that can be safely applied. With the introduction of Sherwin-Williams' VinylSafe™ Color Pallette that ensures darker colors won't absorb heat, homeowners can now choose from over 100 colors to use on their vinyl.

VinylSafe colors can be tinted in several of SW's popular exterior paints, such as SuperPaint, Duration, Resilience, and Emerald.

Making Sure It Sticks

As for the concern of paint sticking to vinyl, many of today's high-quality 100% acrylic coatings will adhere well to the siding. But there's only one way to tell for sure, and that's to apply a test patch to the siding and perform an adhesion test.

To perform an adhesion test:

Apply the new paint to a few small areas (12” x 12” or so) on different sides of the home, then allow it to dry for a few days.
Take a break-away razor knife or a utility knife with a sharp blade and score the surface of the newly-applied paint in a checkerboard pattern (like you’re playing tic-tac-toe), and also with some X’s so that the lines intersect at sharp angles. Make sure you use firm enough pressure that your scored lines penetrate the new coating.
Take some good quality clear packing tape and apply the tape over top of the scored areas. Use your hand to apply firm pressure to the tape to make sure it is well-adhered to the surface. Grab a corner of the tape and peel it off of the surface at a sharp angle.
If you have only a very small amount of paint film on the tape then you should have good enough adhesion to paint, but if anything more than a very small amount of paint film comes off onto the tape then you do not.
If the adhesion test fails then you will either need to apply a full prime coat prior to painting, or choose a higher-quality paint.

The Villages Florida

(352) 267-7184
Thank's for the backup on the phone number and the other info. I was really challenging for them, life in the fast lane. Exterior was white and I kept it white, no guts, it looks clean and neat and that's all I was after. Big Chicken. But can you imagine picking a color you don't like?

They painted the interior before we moved in and saved me from replacing every interior door and all chair rails and lower molding.
They sand, prime with oil base paint and they sprayed the trim and doors, fantastic outcome. They made it all look like new. They are busy people. Workers were here till 10-11pm and back at 7-7.30am. I think you can tell I like them. I'll never paint again, they will.
Closed Thread

Tags
vinyl, siding, quality, painter, painters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.