High Speed Access available here without Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Default High Speed Access available here without Comcast

I've had my gut filled with Comcast. I'm paying for 200 mg and getting 5 or 6 down. Total BS and I've tired of called for resets. QUESTION: Is there any way to get high speed internet so I can switch to HULU like we have up north? I've heard Century Link sucks. Any other options? Please tell me there is life after Comcast....and no Directv is no better.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Depends on where you live what provider is available. Personally I have no issues with ComCrap. Stuck with them because they are the only provider in my area that can provide more than 20Mbps. I'm on their 250/20 tier and always get 320/20. Have you tried connecting your computer hard wired (not wifi) DIRECT to your router and see what you get? That's really the ONLY way to determine where the problem lies. You could have a bad drop, a bad router or device connectivity issues. Something sounds very wrong somewhere. If that proves slow as well you should demand someone to come out and check your drop or the connection to the dmarc on the side of your house. Also, you could connect your router DIRECT to the incoming cable at the dmarc to eliminate inside wiring as a problem.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
I've had my gut filled with Comcast. I'm paying for 200 mg and getting 5 or 6 down. Total BS and I've tired of called for resets. QUESTION: Is there any way to get high speed internet so I can switch to HULU like we have up north? I've heard Century Link sucks. Any other options? Please tell me there is life after Comcast....and no Directv is no better.
I have Spectrum and never have problems
Old 04-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I have Spectrum and never have problems
That is true if you can get Spectrum in your area. I tried and they referred me to Comcrap. Many areas in T.V. can't. Those that can are lucky.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
That is true if you can get Spectrum in your area. I tried and they referred me to Comcrap. Many areas in T.V. can't. Those that can are lucky.
I’m so sorry for suggesting it then. Perhaps AT&T?
Old 04-07-2020, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I’m so sorry for suggesting it then. Perhaps AT&T?
Not in T.V. I believe the only other one is Century Link who still uses "early 2000's" DSL). Maybe in the southern new areas there are others, that's why one needs to know where the OP is located. It even varies by the street in many areas within the same "Village."

Last edited by EdFNJ; 04-07-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:33 PM

I'm off 466
No Spectrum here. I love them...too bad I can't get it.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I will do without before I ever deal with comcast again.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Century link is good in some areas. I lived in Buttowood near Fishhawk and got 100 MBS. In Sunset Pointe on Heron and only get at most 20 MBS now. Some of their network is fiber optic and some dsl.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:32 AM

First, look at your modem. You should be using one you bought yourself. Their modems are older and may not be delivering the service newer models can provide. Here's a reference:

The Best Cable Modem for 2020 | Reviews by Wirecutter

The box will tell you if it's compatible with your ISP. Pretty much all are, the current standard is DOCSIS 3.0.

Second, look at your router. Newer routers now feature tri-band technology (one 2.4GHz and two 5.0GHz channels). Theoretical speeds for different generations of wi-fi are explained here:

802.11: Wi-Fi standards and speeds explained | Network World

I have a TP-Link TC-7620 modem (Up to 680 MBps down, 143 MBps up) and a Netgear Nighthawk R7900P tri-band gigabit router, compliant with 802.11ac. No problems.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

If you are using a Comcast modem/router, you can always exchange it for their latest model at no charge. They claim that their latest model can handle well over 300 mbps.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:39 AM

The advice EdFNJ gave you in post #2 is right on.

First of all, you can have them reset all day, every day, but since that's not working, you (or they), need to determine is it their end or your end that's causing the problem. Reset of internet modem won't do anything for a bad cable or bad connection or bad box. They need to come to your house to check the speed that your internet modem is actually putting through. To avoid any possible charge from them for a home visit, do it yourself as EdFNJ says in post #2. Are you using "Speedtest.net" to check your speeds?
If you do contact Comcast/Xfinity use their online chat. Don't call them. Much easier on the aggravation factor.

Secondly, I learned long ago to never overlook the obvious. Be sure of what tier of internet service that you're paying for. It will state it on your bill (also available online)

A tough nut to swallow sometimes, but it is just as possible the problem is at your end. I know it's annoying, I've been there too. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:46 AM

I have had Comcast/Xfinity internet and TV Cable ever since we moved to The Villages in the summer of 2016. Never had a problem with Comcast except for the cost. In January this year we dropped cable TV and kept just the high speed internet. We have no problems with internet or with our various streaming apps. I have my own modem and router that is cable of handling over 200mbs and have no problems. The only problem I had a couple years ago was my older model modem kept dropping the signal. New modem solved that. Then my older router failed. Replaced that. Love my Comcast service and speed.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:57 AM

Unfortunately, I have not found a viable company. Comcast is probably the worst.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:06 AM
Thumbs up Centurylink Internet does NOT suck

I'm a computer technician in the area for 20 years and Centurylink Fiber Optic has always been a great option, excluding their TV service. Just get their internet and phone if you need it and Streaming TV (YourTube TV, Hulu, etc...)

Quote:

My God is Good ☺
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, speed, high, filled, century

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.