Washing Machines...fixing and buying

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Default Washing Machines...fixing and buying

Our washing machine is 10 yrs old--purchased when we bought the house. It's been acting up lately so "IF" we'd have a repairman come to look at it---who would be reputable to call?

Next question---if it's time to replace the thing. Where would one look for something that will get clothing clean (doesn't need to be a fancy machine but just does it's job) PLUS be the best place for the dollar to look?? Think this one was from Appliances Plus or something like that, over on 441 but not sure we should try that again or not.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:15 AM
Sage

Throw the machine out, we did th same thing--the main bearing went bad, we only buy a top load with the full tub water level with an agitator--went to Lowes, if we get 10 years ,it most likely will outlast me-pay with a VISA and your warranty is doubled--do not buy any extended warranties
Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

I have a neighbor who had a fancy Samsung washing machine that broke down. She called Samsung for warranty repair, and they told her that they don't have any authorized repair people to service the area, so she could not get it repaired under warranty. I wonder if anyone else has had that problem.

I bought the cheapest washer (and dryer) that Lowe's sells (Hotpoint) and it cleans clothes just fine. I never understood how one that costs 3 or 4 times as much could clean clothes any better.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When it comes to Appliances I admit I am hooked on buying top of the line. My oldest son bought a Cheapo Washer/Dryer Named Roper about 15 years ago and it is still operating well.

If it was my call I would check out Consumer Reports. You can sign up for a one-month Digital Subscription for about $7.00 Even though you don't have to go exactly by what they advise at least you can blend your choice with their advice. I only got lumped up once in over 100 purchases on a High-end Sears Washer that Sucked. They said it was #1. Sears made it rite.

The only brand I would stay away from starts with an L and ends with a G. Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Given that you are in a unique market where low hour machines are sold routinely on this very website I would just by used.

That said front loaders will get your clothes cleaner. Many use fuzzy logic where the machine monitors the particulate (dirt) of the water, the weight of the load and it makes a decision on how to wash the clothes. As a bonus they use less water than a top load and because they use a DC vice AC motor they do use less electricity
Closed Thread

Tags
machine, washing, clothing, clean, fancy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.