Water Softener...

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Water Softener...

Been here ten years and never had a water softener in either of the two houses we owned. I've decided to get one installed. A few years back there was a guy who was mentioned on here who I believe lived in TV and installed them for around $500. Sure it is more now but I need some advice on the best. Not interested in spending thousands of dollars just want a softener. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Pelican

Want cheap, this ain't hit...........but they are the top.

Check out reviews.

They have a pretty good informative website.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Nova does whole house filters and water softeners at a reasonable price. Nova Filters | The Villages Fl

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-14-2021, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

You can check the big box stores and probably find a unit for around that price, not sure what installation will cost, do not forget you need a way to drain the backflush.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:47 AM

First, the Pelican system uses potassium chloride which is about 5 times more expensive than the traditional salt, sodium chloride.
Second, consider a system that recharges based upon your demand rather than on time intervals. I know that Kinetico sells a system sells a model like this but there must be others as well.
Third, I would second Villagetinker comment about considering where the backflush is drained

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:52 PM

Well, to be clear, all water softeners can use potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. They both are salts that can be used to regenerate the water softener. Water softeners "replace" the calcium and magnesium ions (hard water components) with either the potassium or sodium ions so either of these will be in your tap water. Granted it isn't much but if you are concerned about your sodium intake, then choose potassium chloride. By the way sodium chloride and potassium chloride are both salts. However, when the word salt is mentioned the general public thinks of table salt which is sodium chloride.

Water softeners contain a resin bed that actually does the work of the calcium/magnesium and sodium/potassium exchange. These can become less efficient (clogged) due to solid particles in the water. Pre-filtering the water is best in all cases. Chlorine also degrades the resin bed so it should be removed from the water prior to the softener.

Back flush: We all know that salt (sodium chloride) kills grasses and plants. However, potassium chloride is actually beneficial as potassium is the "K" part of fertilizer (usually labeled as NPK or nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) . I won't tell you that it will make plants grow better or faster but it won't harm them either. Potassium chloride like sodium chloride will affect concrete over long periods of time so don't send the back flush down your driveway - especially if you have it painted.

All that being said, I would highly recommend NOVA systems. We have that installed at our home. They install a large 3 canister filter system to filter particles/sediment and the last filter is coconut carbon to remove odors and chlorine. The filters should be changed once a year and NOVA will replace them for about $125 (filters and installation). Using these, you can bypass the filter in your refrigerator which usually need to be replaced twice a year at a cost of $40 - $60 per filter. After the 3 stage filter, they install the water softener. Total system is <$1700 and well worth it. And I would remove the refrigerator filter because even though it isn't doing much filtering (nothing to really filter at that point), it will over time it can/will start growing stuff and releasing what it captured before you installed the whole house filter. Some refrigerators require a bypass plug and some do not. Check your refrigerator model.

Even though I say a large 3 canister filter system, it doesn't take a lot of space. The filters hang on the wall and the softener & salt tank sit on the floor. I'm guessing no wider than 5 ft. for the total system. Ours is on the side wall beside the garage door opening and is really space not useable for other things.

Check out their website: NOVA Water Systems

Edit: The NOVA water softener regenerates based on usage and not time.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Been here ten years and never had a water softener in either of the two houses we owned. I've decided to get one installed. A few years back there was a guy who was mentioned on here who I believe lived in TV and installed them for around $500. Sure it is more now but I need some advice on the best. Not interested in spending thousands of dollars just want a softener. Thanks in advance.
Cheap . pay peanuts you get monkeys. I have a Culligan Softener that I love. On demand recharge based on usage. Totally trouble free. $2500 installed. Cheap no, quality yes. Never even have to think about it beyond making sure I have someone add salt.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Demings advertises on this site selling and installing water softeners. Just search Demings Water Softeners
Old 12-15-2021, 06:59 AM

stay away from big box unless you wanna replace in 5-7 years. Made in China junk.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:29 AM

Go with the softener from Nova. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:59 AM
Default Water Softner

Quote:
I have a Water Boss from Home Depot. i installed it myself with quick disconnect fittings should I need to move the unit for service.

You will need top check the current cost and the size you need based on your family situation. My last Water Boss lasted 9 years. I was so satisified with it and the service I got out of it I replaced it with a like unit.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:16 AM

One additional comment - While it is true that potassium is a common ingredient in fertilizers, the back flush from a water softener has a very high concentration of salts, potassium/sodium plus calcium and magnesium chlorides. A solution with a very high concentration of any salt can damage plant life. Therefore, it is wise to not drain your back flush directly on top of plant life. Going down the driveway is also a bad idea.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 12-15-2021, 12:36 PM

Are you talking about a water filter or a water softener? Nova has a filter for about $700 and a softener over $1000.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Demings advertises on this site selling and installing water softeners. Just search Demings Water Softeners
NOVA Systems also support this site but don't post every time they do an install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
One additional comment - While it is true that potassium is a common ingredient in fertilizers, the back flush from a water softener has a very high concentration of salts, potassium/sodium plus calcium and magnesium chlorides. A solution with a very high concentration of any salt can damage plant life. Therefore, it is wise to not drain your back flush directly on top of plant life. Going down the driveway is also a bad idea.
Potassium, calcium and magnesium are beneficial to plants. All 3 of these salts are soluble in water. Now, would I spray back flush onto plants? No. But draining into a flower bed or onto the grass would not pose a problem. Just don’t allow it to drain onto concrete long term. The chloride will damage concrete. BTW, at least here in The Villages, our soil is very sandy which allows water to percolate further down away from roots.

Here is an interesting article about the myths of calcium chloride.

CALCIUM CHLORIDE USES ~ THE MYTHS AND FACTS ~
Old 12-15-2021, 12:53 PM

Another satisfied NOVA customer....
Closed Thread

Tags
softener, water, installed, years, $500

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.