Water Softener

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Default Water Softener

I have gone through previous threads on this subject and am still deciding on what water softener to get for my home. I tested my water for hardness using 2 different kits and both results showed I had very hard water. A plumber I know recommended an Aqua-Rex water conditioner as you don't have to use the salt to soften the water, it is an electronic device, has anyone used this system?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Veteran member

Bob,
Where's your business located.
I'd like to take a look at it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
I have gone through previous threads on this subject and am still deciding on what water softener to get for my home. I tested my water for hardness using 2 different kits and both results showed I had very hard water. A plumber I know recommended an Aqua-Rex water conditioner as you don't have to use the salt to soften the water, it is an electronic device, has anyone used this system?
I was recently told that the water treatment systems that are being installed make the water very high in sodium. Not good for anyone. This engineer that I was speaking to, mentioned the type of system like Aqua-Rex is better. Small and compact and won't take up much room in our garages.System does not use sodium. Don't know if there is a trustworthy company that installs in central FL. Anyone have info on this system?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Sage

Here's the Aqua-Rex softener's company web site for the U.S.:

Aqua-Rex Water Conditioners

From their web site - a pdf for the two page brochure explaining their system:

http://www.aqua-rex.com/PDFs_Docs/Q_...ex_Leaflet.pdf

Bill
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Sage

Well that's interesting but if it's the best thing since sliced bread why haven't other major manufactures picked up on it?????

Here's a review of it from this site

"By now, you’re probably a bit skeptical. What exactly are “healthy wavelengths”? How does wrapping your water supply with an aerial have any effect on the softness of water? A bit of digging reveals there are hundreds of similar water treatment systems out there, and electronic water treatment devices like the Water King are just one of many different “solutions” sold as alternative to typical ion-exchange softener systems.

Steven Lower, retired Faculty Member of the Department of Chemistry, Simon Fraser University runs the excellent H20 Dot Con/AquaScams website, where he has cataloged hundreds of different water treatment systems. He sums it up as:

The great economic importance of water softening has created a large and thriving industry that utilizes a number of proven methods based on well established scientific principles. It has also unfortunately attracted a variety of operators offering technologies that are purported to be better, less expensive, easier to install, or “chemical-free”, but which have never been validated scientifically and whose principles of operation are largely unexplained by the known laws of chemistry. This does not mean that such schemes cannot work (after all, we can use theory to show that under idealized conditions, water can never boil and it can never rain!), but it should inspire a good degree of skepticism.

Not surprisingly, the Water King is listed among many other devices on his site. (It’s also called the Aqua Rex.) So what exactly is the technology in the Water King supposed to do? It’s electromagnetic: passing current through the wires creates a magnetic field, which is supposed to cause small particulates of calcium and magnesium to form, reducing their effect. While Lower points out that there is some evidence that magnetism can have effects on water, he’s very skeptical about efficacy claims with these devices.

So do these “alternative” water treatments work? Given there’s no change in the total mineral content of the water, it’s difficult to say. Many of the claims seem to be based on anecdote, and testimonials related to efficacy could be strongly influenced by placebo effects. Perhaps that’s why I couldn’t find any regulator or agency that endorses these types of products as alternatives to traditional water softeners. Lower’s advice seems sensible:

The best advice I can give at this time is to choose a product for which actual performance data is available, and which offers a guarantee of sufficiently long duration that its efficacy can be tested in an actual installation. One should be wary of vendors who make over-hyped or scientifically unfounded claims for how their devices work.

Without objective information to evaluate the efficacy of these products, I’m going to remain skeptical of electronic water softeners."
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Eternal Member

Okay, I bit on this one. If it has an aerial then it must be transmitting a signal or RF of some type. What frequency is being used and what is the power level? What about television interference? People are complaining about the smart electric meters need to look into this.

Now many turns of the wire are wrapped around the pipe? Is there a difference between the number of turns if copper or plastic pipe is used. Is there a filter system to remove any residue?

Seems like a lot of money for something so small. I would like to see one in action.

VG
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

The question is this marketing scheme?

Water softeners exchange calcium and magnesium ions in hard water for sodium ions. The amount of sodium in softened water depends on how hard the water was when it entered the system. More sodium is used for harder water. Softened water is not a problem if you are healthy, but if you need to maintain a low-sodium diet, it may become an issue. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, high sodium in your diet can contribute to heart disease.
Water Softener

As rainwater moves through soil and rock, it picks up minerals, which makes the water hard. The hard water can leave mineral deposits on clothing, appliances and even your hair. As a typical water softener exchanges hard water mineral ions for sodium ions, the sodium content in your drinking water rises. For every 10 grains of calcium carbonate found per gallon, 75 mg of sodium is added per liter.

The majority of Americans consume more than 3,400 mg of sodium per day, twice that recommended by the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. These guidelines say you should limit your dietary sodium to less than 2,300 mg per day, less for high-risk individuals. If you are trying to limit your sodium intake and your water softener is producing 400 mg of sodium per liter, drinking such water will cause you to reach your sodium limit quickly. Do not decrease your water intake; other water treatment options exist.

Sodium and Your Heart

A strong relationship exists between high salt consumption and high blood pressure. In articles published in 2002 and 2005 in the "Journal of Human Hypertension" and "Hypertension," respectively, reduction of dietary salt significantly lowered participant blood pressure. Additionally, the Cleveland Clinic provides a low-sodium guideline for heart failure. A large amount of evidence points toward dietary sodium reduction as a way to prevent heart disease caused by high blood pressure, or hypertension.
Considerations

Since high dietary salt increases hypertension and hypertension causes heart disease, it seems a low-salt diet would decrease your chances of heart disease. Softened water presents an additional sodium burden to an already salty diet. To eliminate sodium in softened water, you can install a potassium chloride water softener. Also, you can filter the softened water to remove the sodium or bypass the softener altogether, using that one hard water tap for food preparation and drinking. Numerous ways exist to continue softening your water without adding sodium to your diet.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Default water softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
hope this helps, funny, just this morning my friend told me how happy he was with a new water softener installed last week from the Sear's store on Rt 441 near Rt. 42 in Summerfield[by he way they live in the Villages] installation was 180.00 and water softener was $900.00 and he could not stop telling us how happy he and his wife are. Cleaner water and cleaner clothes.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Sage

But what about the chlorine?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 AM

We bought one from Sears too. Includes water filter and water softener.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Sage

What appears to be odd is Sears claims "No filters to replace",

all filters need replacing after a certain amount of collection especially carbon, these filters do not filters ant sediment out of the water either????
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Sage

well if it works for you great

Potassium is applied in water purification. For example, potassium permanganate is applicable for oxidation of waterborne compounds, such as for iron or manganese removal, and disinfection. This is however not generally recommended.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Golf Carts View Post
Have not seen that system,

We are introduceing the Axeon water softeners here in the villages this company is one of the largest manufacturers in the world for water filtration.

I have been using their equipent on aquariums for many years it is all commerical grade not flimsy residential.
I am a direct authorized wholesale dealer

The sofener is a 30,000 gram unit that is equal (or better) to any on the market Kinetico, GE etc.

I'm sure you heard prices of $2,500 and up on these.

These units will be availible for $1500 installed on an introductory offer.

The Villages Florida
Jimbo,

Does this system use salt? Does it filter the water as well as soften?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.