What lawn services do I need?

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts
Default What lawn services do I need?

We close on our new home on 3 Dec and want to start off on the right foot with it. What type of lawn services do we need beyond mowing? In Tennessee I sprayed for weeds and spread fertilizer. I've read on this forum about bugs and other things that are detrimental to a healthy lawn so what do I need? Also what does lawn care cost, we purchased a Ruby so there isn't a whole lot of grass.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you go to Current Issue / Archives – On Top of the World News Ocala you will find a monthly newspaper. Most months it has a column on what you should be doing to your lawn. The chemicals used are different than up north but you can do it all your self or hire someone. Make sure you know the type of grass you will have before you start your research.

You will also have a sprinkler system. Very important to be sure you have it set up correctly so you do not over water and deflate your wallet. Not uncommon to end up watering twice on the same day.

Phillip Hisey writes the articles. See page one of the Oct paper for into on him. See page 4 Keeping it Green for an example.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

Stay away from Service Smart, we use Deans for lawn cutting, fertilization, weeding, and termite control.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

If you live at your Villages home full time, it's both economical and easy to get a lawn spreader and all the lawn application products you need at Lowels. If you are a part time resident, its best to hire a lawn care company that comes by periodically and applies the appropriate applications. We are part time and have been very happy using LeeCo. Our technician does a great job on both our lawn and communication with us. Also, if you hire a lawn mowing service I would highly recommend finding a service that uses push, rather than zero turn riding, mowers. The push mowers do way less damage to your lawn and don't knock loose all the edging material you may have around your garden beds.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Whoever you hire for your lawn service, do not pay a year in advance or sign an annual contract. Almost all of the reputable companies will allow you to pay monthly or on a per service payment basis. I have Massey for everything except mowing, and I only pay them when they perform a service. Massey is not cheap, but they are competitive for everything except cutting your grass. Too expensive for mowing. Also, you should learn how to operate your sprinkler system, and how to replace and adjust the sprinkler heads. Don't depend entirely on a lawn company to do it.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-19-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
We close on our new home on 3 Dec and want to start off on the right foot with it. What type of lawn services do we need beyond mowing? In Tennessee I sprayed for weeds and spread fertilizer. I've read on this forum about bugs and other things that are detrimental to a healthy lawn so what do I need? Also what does lawn care cost, we purchased a Ruby so there isn't a whole lot of grass.
You don't say if you will be seasonal or full time here. In the last 18 months I had 2 companies for mowing and gardening care; both are no longer working for me. Lowe's sells mowers, blowers, and edgers. It gets hot here in the summer, so I edge one day and mow the next. Yard waste pickup day is Wednesday for me (not sure if it is for every neighborhood), but its good to get that stuff cleaned up and at the curb for pickup weekly. The man at ACE gave me a list of what to treat the lawn with and when. Its working and my lawn looks better now with self care. I wish you the best. Lots to figure out here. As for irrigation, my box in the garage has a sticker with recommendations. I think the most important thing is to hire a pest company here that is reputable. I use the Village Pest at 352-245-4522. Jay is wonderful.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:27 PM

Stay away from A Step Above Lawn too!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

get someone that will do ALL: grass cutting, grass fertilizing, shrub cutting ( minimum 4x per year - consider 6), weed control for both grass and beds, weed PULLING, pest control.. school is out on whether u need termite treatment on stucco homes. Lawn service should also be responsible to manage your sprinkler system . To my knowledge, no one that does pest control includes eradicating busy bodies that go around neighborhoods anonymously reporting innocuous "things" in your front and rear beds that violate your deed restrictions.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, services, read, forum, fertilizer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.