What is the most reliable PIN based door lock with ability to override?

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2020, 11:40 AM
Default What is the most reliable PIN based door lock with ability to override?

I'm looking to rent property that I purchased in the villages and would like to purchase and install and door lock for front entry door that is PIN based with the ability to change the PIN remotely. Additionally, would like the ability to unlock the door with a key in case of power outages.

Looking for recommendations based on your experience as well as a Locksmith in the Sumter area that is reliable.

Thank you for your time.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Default remote lock

I got a remote lock on our new home in Marsh Bend from The Villages when we built our house. I believe it is a Kwik set or a Baldwin. Anyway - I was under the impression I could - lock the door from anywhere on my iPhone app. Not so. You have to be in front of this to lock and open the door. Sometime it works and sometimes it just goes crazy. Not a good choice and I will be adding that on to my one year inspection to see what else is available.
It's more frustrating than anything.:
Old 07-29-2020, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

We have a ResortLock on our front door. We bought it originally when we were snowbirding in the Tampa area and wanted a way to set up entry codes for workers, delivery people, etc. (We also had one up north in case someone needed to get into our house while we were down here.)

From your computer at another location you can generate codes for a single entry or for a specific period of time. The residence where the ResortLock is located does not require internet access. When we moved to TV we swapped it out and installed it here. I think it is an RL-2000 or something.

I just checked our online account with ResortLock and they seem to have been acquired by a company called REMOTE LOCK which sells various (similar) products. They don't list the specific products they offer online. You have to set up a consultation and they will tell you what they can sell you. It isn't clear if our device is still available although my personal page is there with my device listed along with people who have access codes.

In our case, we needed something that did not require internet access because our service was turned off when we were at our other house. If you are providing internet for your renters you can probably use a newer device that uses wifi.

Good luck. I'd be interested to know what you end up using.

kathy
Old 07-29-2020, 04:00 PM
Smile

I’ve got the Nest/Yale lock. I can control access from my phone in Maine. Works like a charm. I had the Geek Squad install it for me..
Old 07-29-2020, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,175 Posts

OP, if and when you get your lock, be sure you have your wifi and internet security up to date, turn of SSID, strong passwords, and get a lock that informs you of any and all changes so you know if the system is hacked. As for a key overide, you need to get a lock that is very difficult to pick. Consumer Reports di some testing on this and they may be able to help. I would couple your new lock with a RING (or similar) door bell so that you can see who is at the door.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:32 AM

On the Nest/Yale lock, can you use a regual key as well?
Old 07-30-2020, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,848 Times in 890 Posts

I have a Qwikset front door battery operated lock. An internet lock still has too many security holes to be trustworthy from some really good sniffer work. (just because nothing has happened yet, doesn't mean that nothing will happen in the future.) The batteries last about 6 months, and all of them that i have seen can use a key. For our rental, they get the key, no code. The code is only for us.

sportsguy
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 PM

There is no key...just a keypad to type in a code..
Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 PM

I haven't had any experience with this lock but do use their security cameras. Maybe worth a look.
Wyze Lock....
Old 07-31-2020, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I have a Qwikset front door battery operated lock. An internet lock still has too many security holes to be trustworthy from some really good sniffer work. (just because nothing has happened yet, doesn't mean that nothing will happen in the future.) The batteries last about 6 months, and all of them that i have seen can use a key. For our rental, they get the key, no code. The code is only for us.

sportsguy
We have a similar setup, but we give out temporary codes and never give out the key. The key can be duplicated, and the codes can easily be selectively deleted in about 2 minutes. This allows neighbors, etc., to access the house only when their code is active, and if there is a problem, we have a 'throw away' code the we can give out over the phone for access, then change later.

Tags
door, pin, based, ability, lock

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.