Who is the most reliable Internet Provider

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2020, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

SHORT VERSION:
I have defended Comcast in the past because once a service is set up it works great. However, every time we have had service turned on, our package of channels upgraded, or a feature added (i.e. a sports package) it is a nightmare. If I ever buy another house in TV I will make sure that Spectrum is available so I would not have to deal with Comcast people ever again.

LONG VERSION:
Hubby asked me to order the MLB package a few days ago. Got on the web site and ordered it. I get a message saying there is a problem and I need to call them at the number displayed on the screen. I spend an hour on the phone with the customer service rep who has no idea why the baseball channels won't work. I tell her that we have Tivo devices, not Comcast equipment, and frequently when we add channels we have to call tech support and have them send a signal to the cable cards in the Tivo boxes to get them working. She says she can transfer me to tech support but there is a 30 minute wait. I say I can't do this right now, will call them tomorrow.

The next afternoon I look for the tech support number on their web site. THERE ARE NO PHONE NUMBERS LISTED ANYWHERE ON THEIR SITE. NONE. I had to find a number on a third party site. When I call the robot says I can wait on hold OR they can call me back. In either case, the wait will be 1-1/2 to 3 hours. I don't want them calling me back during dinner so I decide to call back in the evening. When I do the robot says the wait is now 3-1/2 to 5 hours. I decide to try again in the morning.

The next day I spend an hour on the phone talking to two different "technical support" people. Heavy accents, clearly on a VOIP line with that awful hissing in the background. They are reading questions from a script. ("Is the cable box plugged in? Are you sure the tv in on the correct input?" and so on.) I keep telling them I just need someone to zap my cable cards to update my channels. They are very nice but have no idea what I am talking about. Finally, the second guy says he needs to send someone to my house.

I know that it does not take a house call to configure my cable cards to display channels that I have paid for. (The charge has already shown up on my bill, of course!) But I also know (or at least believe/hope) that if they send a technician he will know how to get someone to zap my cards so hubs can watch his Phillies.

The more that people cut the cord and cancel their cable service, the more expensive cable gets for those of us still subscribing AND the worse the service gets. When a company does not offer a phone number anywhere on their web site, that is a huge red flag. You have been warned!

kathy
Old 07-29-2020, 12:11 PM

I live south of 466A. Have spectrum. Only use for internet service and I have 400 speed. Have had for 2 years no outages. I have firestick for tv and love it. Comcast was horrible service as well as bill continued to go up. I used them for over 10 years
Old 07-29-2020, 04:01 PM

I just bought between 466 and 466a in March. I found that most of the providers were able to service us. We wound up going with DISH, and Hughes net only because they let you suspend your service for up to 6-9 months, total, paying minimal and allowed to turn service on and off. With that being said, we were down in TV just this month and turned on service and let me say, DISH SUCKS! It constantly pauses to stream.
Will be changing that when we become permanent.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 PM
Default It’s on the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Since we will also eventually be purchasing a home between 466 and 466A, am very interested to hear everyone's opinion.

Going by one post though, it sounds like there may be only one choice in some areas?

Does anyone know of a map that exists, that shows available providers (by village or geographic area) between 466 and 466A?
Go to the web site for each and key in your zip code. They tell you.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
SHORT VERSION:
I have defended Comcast in the past because once a service is set up it works great. However, every time we have had service turned on, our package of channels upgraded, or a feature added (i.e. a sports package) it is a nightmare. If I ever buy another house in TV I will make sure that Spectrum is available so I would not have to deal with Comcast people ever again.

LONG VERSION:
Hubby asked me to order the MLB package a few days ago. Got on the web site and ordered it. I get a message saying there is a problem and I need to call them at the number displayed on the screen. I spend an hour on the phone with the customer service rep who has no idea why the baseball channels won't work. I tell her that we have Tivo devices, not Comcast equipment, and frequently when we add channels we have to call tech support and have them send a signal to the cable cards in the Tivo boxes to get them working. She says she can transfer me to tech support but there is a 30 minute wait. I say I can't do this right now, will call them tomorrow.

The next afternoon I look for the tech support number on their web site. THERE ARE NO PHONE NUMBERS LISTED ANYWHERE ON THEIR SITE. NONE. I had to find a number on a third party site. When I call the robot says I can wait on hold OR they can call me back. In either case, the wait will be 1-1/2 to 3 hours. I don't want them calling me back during dinner so I decide to call back in the evening. When I do the robot says the wait is now 3-1/2 to 5 hours. I decide to try again in the morning.

The next day I spend an hour on the phone talking to two different "technical support" people. Heavy accents, clearly on a VOIP line with that awful hissing in the background. They are reading questions from a script. ("Is the cable box plugged in? Are you sure the tv in on the correct input?" and so on.) I keep telling them I just need someone to zap my cable cards to update my channels. They are very nice but have no idea what I am talking about. Finally, the second guy says he needs to send someone to my house.

I know that it does not take a house call to configure my cable cards to display channels that I have paid for. (The charge has already shown up on my bill, of course!) But I also know (or at least believe/hope) that if they send a technician he will know how to get someone to zap my cards so hubs can watch his Phillies.

The more that people cut the cord and cancel their cable service, the more expensive cable gets for those of us still subscribing AND the worse the service gets. When a company does not offer a phone number anywhere on their web site, that is a huge red flag. You have been warned!

kathy
I agree, the more cables that are cut the less cable will be a value service. Streaming services prices will rise, all customer service will be by phone or online. While we do some streaming, I can't get what I want without multiple services, times are a changin.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-29-2020, 11:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I agree, the more cables that are cut the less cable will be a value service. Streaming services prices will rise, all customer service will be by phone or online. While we do some streaming, I can't get what I want without multiple services, times are a changin.
I would seriously consider a streaming service for cable channels (we have Netflix and Amazon Prime in addition to Xfinity) but we love our Tivo boxes. We have used Tivo for about 20 years but they don't work with streaming services.

Comcast technician was supposed to be here between 3 and 5 today, never showed, no phone call or text. Yes, I am annoyed. sigh ...

k.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:49 AM

Comcast
Old 07-30-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
CONFUSED.

Spectrum costs 25% less, but you moved FROM Spectrum TO Comcast.

:ohdear:
Thanks for catching that
I moved from Comcast to Spectrum
Old 07-30-2020, 07:09 AM

Comcast seems to have the best rate for the fastest internet. Spectrum advertises a cheap price but to bring you up to Comcast's bandwidth you have to pay more and then becomes more expensive.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
If you can get it.................Spectrum is the best.

Even when the neighbor's construction project cuts the line......they put a priority request in and there are out asap.
I live north of 466, I have Comcast, would switch to Spectrum if it was available.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts
Default century link does not go off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have had both Century Link and Comcast. No real trouble with either one, but prefer wifi with comcast, never goes out. Whereas I had Direct Satellite with Century Link and it went down all the time in bad weather, very annoying.
when direct tv goes down because of storm , I’ve been with them for many years , also if the HD channel is off during storm , just go below to the non HD or switch to a movie on your box . During rainy season ifI want to tape something I do it on both channels
Closed Thread

Tags
reliable, internet, service, opinions, outages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.