Window replacement

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM
Default Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We purchased a 12 yr old home near sumter and these windows are the worst I have ever seen. I cannot open them from the bottom as lip is so tiny you cannot get a finger under it. Top is the same. We may have to replace all windows. Has anyone done this and what company would u recommend??
For what this is worth. I thought I had to replace my master bedroom window too as I couldn’t open it either
Realized, be sure it’s pushed all the way down before trying to lift on those little lips. I have a place in Rio Grande. All windows working since I figured that out.
Good luck
Old 01-15-2020, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Do u know if an Anderson store nearby or I can google it? We already tried Lowes. They have nothing. Same at home depot. Today will try ace. If nothing we will head to store in ocala, window world
As previously posted, Amazon has a multitude of sash lifts, looks like an economical fix, at least compared to 8K. Now if there are other issues with the windows that's another story.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-15-2020, 02:49 PM
Default Windows

We are having renewal by Andersen replace all the windows in our house that was built in 2005. They are thousands more than the other 2 we got estimates from but these windows are not the vinyl the others were pushing. These seemed much better than them. Job will take 2 days and they are doing this at end of January. Windows are custom made to fit rough opening. They are out of Orlando.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

Did you read all the replies in the other thread you started last month? Window problem

Their site states THEY DON"T DO WINDOW REPLACEMENT.
Well, we had a window that had a broken seal the first yr. we live in TV & we had to go thru the warranty dept. to get it replaced & it still cost us $150. To me these windows are junk. I know more people that had to get windows replaced more than anything else in our home. The homes aren't any cheaper there but they put a lot of cheap stuff in those homes. Just my opinion, but I'm sure someone will say they're well built homes or they had no trouble with their home after 10 or 20 yrs.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:59 PM

No need to spend $8,000 for new windows. I have the same widows and made a simple lip"grabber" in the woodshop for about $2 in scrap wood. It works perfectly, no struggle, no effort. Get in touch with me and I will send you a picture. 414-322-7632 (leave a message).
Old 01-16-2020, 12:46 PM

You are so right! I hate these windows. When I first moved to The Villages I was so surprised when I found out that most people never open their windows. After trying to do so, I realize why.

I am going to investigate sash lifts right now.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:16 PM

Yeah, well it looks like none if the lifts will work with my windows since the window frame goes behind the lip at the bottom. Who the hell picked these windows for a senior community???
Old 01-16-2020, 02:43 PM

I used Home Depot to replace ALL the windows in my home. They sent a nice salesman to my house with various samples and we were able to sit down to discuss pros, cons and pricing. They were doing a sale at the time and was able to pay a deposit and then the rest over a 2 year period at 0% interest, if I recall correctly.
The installers were great, cleaned up after themselves and cleaned the windows and sliding glass doors, leaving them sparkling! Had all windows and glass door installed within 2 days when window order arrived.
HD took care of permitting.
The inspector came, signed off on everything.
I was very pleased.

The windows and screens have a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Golfer View Post
No need to spend $8,000 for new windows. I have the same widows and made a simple lip"grabber" in the woodshop for about $2 in scrap wood. It works perfectly, no struggle, no effort. Get in touch with me and I will send you a picture. 414-322-7632 (leave a message).
Bonsai Golferr, glad to here you will share an easy fix. Window should last as long as you live there. I live in homes for 20 yrs. & never had an issue with windows. I think TV put the cheapest homes as they can build to keep outside contractors busy or so we’ll buy another home or keep them into money. Other than that TV is a great place to live. We shouldn’t have to start remodeling our homes in the first 5 to 10 yrs. we live there. Thanks for sharing your easy fix!
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, finger, top, company, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.