Women getting ripped off

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Default Women getting ripped off

My wife just came from a Spanish Springs hair salon. She arrived home irritated after having color applied. Other than the color, nothing else was done, not even a combing. The cost, $69 plus tip. Guys we need to stop this rip off of our ladies. The cost for this service is outrageous !!!!
Old 04-02-2019, 04:05 PM

I can top that. I just paid 43.00 plus tip for a trim. Not a new style, just a trim. Two years ago it was 31.00 and this past Dec the price jumped to 38.00 without notice. Now they've raised it up to 43.00 and again, without notice. It doesn't help to check their website because it states haircuts start at 31.00. I watched a woman walk up to the register after getting highlights, when they told her the price she was so shocked she started crying. I won't be going back.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

From what my wife tells me, last week she paid $80, for a trim and color in the Mulberry Grove area. Up north she tells me her long time hair stylist charges $75 for the same services. Me I go to your next barber when we visit our friends in Ocala $9. For a number 2 blade all around and a $2 tip. Can’t beat that program. Of course there’s always Big Al’s too
Old 04-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

Not sure I understand this thread. I see lots of women at Cal's barber shop where a woman's haircut is $17. Why pay $43? And, I don't see what men can do to affect the amount of money that women are willing to pay to have their hair done. It seems to me that it is a market driven commodity that is controlled entirely by women.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-02-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

The salon visit up north, for cut, highlights, lowlights, and style is $120 plus tip. appointment is about 2.5 hours. You could choose to go to someone who works out of their home for the same is $90 plus tip. But Then you get to hear screaming from multiple children. Most chose to spend more at the salon. Always ask for cost before using salon.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
My wife just came from a Spanish Springs hair salon. She arrived home irritated after having color applied. Other than the color, nothing else was done, not even a combing. The cost, $69 plus tip. Guys we need to stop this rip off of our ladies. The cost for this service is outrageous !!!!
1. What do you think you "guys" are gonna do about it?
2. What was the explanation for no styling, when your wife asked the stylist after the color was applied?
3. Does this establishment not have a price list? If it does, the price was listed, she should've checked. If the actual price was different from the listed price, she should've made a stink and refused to pay a penny more than the listed price (plus applicable tax).
3a. If the price wasn't listed, it was your wife's responsibility to find out if it was something she'd want to pay for, before she sat down in the stylist's chair.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Just so you know some of us Ladies have had it as well. I recently left my Hairdresser of seven years because she raised her prices to $45 for a shampoo, cut and Blow dry. Then add the 20% tip (expected) and you have a dollar amount that I'm no longer willing to pay. So, I asked around, jumped on "Next Door" and decided to go to the local Hair Cuttery. Bingo. Great haircut for $22 plus tip. Nail Salons are next. They rob us blind as well, but we like to look pretty, so we pay it! Don't get me started on Cleaning Ladies who charge $80 and leave in two hours! Then I go around the house and find the spots that the Swiffer didn't exactly get to!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Don’t know what my wife pays for hair cuts, highlights, etc and i do not care to know. Like the other poster said, what can men do about the prices women spend on hair care. Oh, i know we can stop them and then get to talk with her attorney.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Sage

I wear wigs. A decent quality wig will last me around 8 months. Hand-wash in the sink every 2 weeks with wig shampoo that costs around $10 for 20 shampoos. That's a lot cheaper than what some of you are paying how often - every 2 weeks for shampoo and blowout, or every 3 months for cut and color? That's crazy. You can get a gorgeous wig for $150. The best part, is that you can experiment. If you feel like going long and blonde, you buy long and blonde. If you want to swap out for super-curly, short, sassy, and fuscia, guess what. You can probably get one of those for under $50 and wear it on weekends. Buy 7 wigs, all different, and have a different style and color every day of the week. Since you're only wearing them once a week each, they'll last you several years.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:28 PM

I know several friends who wear wigs all the time and find them easy and classy!!!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My wife used a Nice Lady at Cal's in Spanish Springs since the day after we arrived. This women went to a new shop near the 5 guys and Chinese and Papa Jons near Best Buy. She kept her old price at Cal's for her customers that followed her. It's $15 with a $15 tip. Better than the same thing for a $$ Yard $$ at Vito Mazza in N.J.

For me, they all will use a Buzzer set to zero but will not shave the Cabeza to give The Uncle Fester Look. Go figure, I'd pay for the time but they won't do it. I do it myself every other week. AHHH, aerodynamic and cool looking for free. Looks like one Butt Cheek but feels great!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Color in a box cost $6.99 and the OP can apply it for his wife, that will take care of the pricing concerns.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Are you insinuating the ladies can't stop the rip off and need men to fight their battles?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

(1) I have never been to a salon where they would not tell me what it would cost up front. If you know what something will cost and you choose to proceed, how are you being ripped off?

(2) We lived at the Jersey Shore for several years before moving to the Philly area for several more. I loved my Shore hair person so much that I continued to go back there every four weeks for 10 years -- a two hour drive each way. She charged about $65 for a cut and color. (She may have charged new people more, I don't know.) I didn't go there because it was less expensive that Philly area salons (although it was -- in Philly I paid about $120 for the same services) but because I loved her and I loved what she did with my hair. Every time I went somewhere else (which I only did when she was unavailable for some reason) I left dissatisfied.

Since moving to TV in November I went to a certain salon three times. I wanted to give this person a fair chance, as I know it sometimes takes a while to get to know someone's hair. By the third time, though, I knew I had to find someone else. I saw a post the other day where two people recommended a stylist at Hair Cuttery in Mulberry Grove and decided to give her a try. She did a great job "fixing" the lousy haircut I got 2 weeks ago and I will be returning in a few weeks for another trim and to get my color back the way I like it. The haircut was ~ $25 and the color will be $50-something, most likely. I don't consider that unreasonable. I could obviously save some money if I were willing to let my hair go grey but I'm not. My sister has lovely white hair but I got the "mousy dirty grey" hair gene. Ugh.

(3) When I was 18 to 20 or so my friend and I used to wear wigs sometimes. Back then I would sometimes get home ~ 3 a.m. and have to be up at 5:30 to catch the train to work. Who had time to deal with hair at that hour! I imagine wigs, like most things, have come a long way since 1970. Where do you buy them? What do they cost? Enquiring minds want to know!

kathy
Old 04-02-2019, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
(1) I have never been to a salon where they would not tell me what it would cost up front. If you know what something will cost and you choose to proceed, how are you being ripped off?

(2) We lived at the Jersey Shore for several years before moving to the Philly area for several more. I loved my Shore hair person so much that I continued to go back there every four weeks for 10 years -- a two hour drive each way. She charged about $65 for a cut and color. (She may have charged new people more, I don't know.) I didn't go there because it was less expensive that Philly area salons (although it was -- in Philly I paid about $120 for the same services) but because I loved her and I loved what she did with my hair. Every time I went somewhere else (which I only did when she was unavailable for some reason) I left dissatisfied.

Since moving to TV in November I went to a certain salon three times. I wanted to give this person a fair chance, as I know it sometimes takes a while to get to know someone's hair. By the third time, though, I knew I had to find someone else. I saw a post the other day where two people recommended a stylist at Hair Cuttery in Mulberry Grove and decided to give her a try. She did a great job "fixing" the lousy haircut I got 2 weeks ago and I will be returning in a few weeks for another trim and to get my color back the way I like it. The haircut was ~ $25 and the color will be $50-something, most likely. I don't consider that unreasonable. I could obviously save some money if I were willing to let my hair go grey but I'm not. My sister has lovely white hair but I got the "mousy dirty grey" hair gene. Ugh.

(3) When I was 18 to 20 or so my friend and I used to wear wigs sometimes. Back then I would sometimes get home ~ 3 a.m. and have to be up at 5:30 to catch the train to work. Who had time to deal with hair at that hour! I imagine wigs, like most things, have come a long way since 1970. Where do you buy them? What do they cost? Enquiring minds want to know!

kathy
What I usually do, is go to the local wig shop here in Connecticut. Because I try to support local small businesses when I can, I will buy a new style for the first time from them.

However, because they charge full MSRP and I just can't afford that every time I need a replacement, I'll get subsequent wigs of the same style from Ace wigs online. A $150 wig at the wig store is typically around $80 online, and shipping is free if you remember to add the promo code (that everyone is able to use if they simply remember to add it).

Same exact wig but they buy in bulk so they can offer better prices.

I used to go to an actual wigmaker, but he sadly passed away years ago. He made his wigs by hand, cut and fitted the cap to my head before weaving a single knot of hair, then doubled the netting for me, and then did the hand-knotting of every single strand in the wig. Sometimes I'd visit him for a fill-in, and I'd get to watch him at work. He was a master wigmaker. It was a labor-intensive project and usually took a couple of months from the initial measurement to the final cut and style. The wigs ranged from $400 to $1500 (depending on type of hair and length), and were made from human hair.

Here's my current one (different color, same wig): Envy Wigs - Angel | Ace Wigs - The Original Wig Site

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 04-02-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
color, cost, tip, guys, combing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.