Worried about losing power in hurricane season....worry no more!

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2021, 09:56 AM

How far from your house did they install your new generator?
Old 06-11-2021, 10:10 AM

Not far. It's alongside the fenced back yard.
15 feet from rear of house with transfer switch directly hooked into the meter.
The 1000 lb tank sits behind the generator along the fence as well.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:40 AM

We've lived here 11 years and have lost power only twice (once for 5 MINUTES and another for 30 MINUTES). We did NOT lose power AT ALL during hurricane Irma. If you've got "money to burn" go ahead and do this, otherwise donate to some worthy cause.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've been here 13 years and my power has not ever gone out.
I think I'll pass fixing a problem that I don't seem to have. Interesting though.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:15 PM

I live in Pine Hills and we lose power all the time. We have installed a Generac whole house generator and it sits alongside the house behind the fence (yes, we are in one of the lucky neighborhoods that has fences.) We dropped the propane tank in the front yard with the pipe tunneled under the driveway. We also installed a gas stove since we now have gas! All approvals and permits were done by Trademark Electric of Ocala. Not a waste of money for us.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what model you are referring to. But, last week, when we had a short power outage, I walked past a house with a Generac whole house unit. It was much noisier than the typical HVAC unit. I could hear it about half a block away. It was a relatively new unit, installed within the past 2 years.
They most certainly have a major malfunction. Trust me they are amazingly quiet. They self-test themselves every month I think and I was standing next to the next doors neighbors unit having my water filters replaced and it wasn't even as loud as a push lawnmower with a 5 horsepower engine.

I'm speaking of a Generac that is stationary, hooked up to a propane tank that is underground. Generac also sells portable units that would be able to be heard a block away, no doubt.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,672 Times in 5,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
They most certainly have a major malfunction. Trust me they are amazingly quiet. They self-test themselves every month I think and I was standing next to the next doors neighbors unit having my water filters replaced and it wasn't even as loud as a push lawnmower with a 5 horsepower engine.

I'm speaking of a Generac that is stationary, hooked up to a propane tank that is underground. Generac also sells portable units that would be able to be heard a block away, no doubt.
Not a portable unit. Here is what Generac says:

"The sound output for Generac model #7210 (24 KW) in dB(A) at 23 ft with generator operating at normal load is 67."

This is louder than most outside HVAC units.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-11-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUSSY LADY View Post
I have a total house Generac runs on natural gas, exercises once a week, I never hear it, but does give you piece of mind during hurricane season!
You must be far away from it every time it runs, my lady.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:28 AM

We moved to Florida in December and signed the paperwork in January to have a 24 KW natural gas whole house electric generator installed. There’s a long backlog to get the generator installed. The generator will be installed in mid July.

It’s not cheap to have a whole house electric generator installed. The cost is about $13,000. But if you worked hard in life, obtaining a high income job, and lived well below your means for decades, saving and carefully investing a lot of money for decades. Then spending that kind of money is not a problem in your retirement years, because you can’t take the money with you.

We planned on getting a whole house electric generator when we moved to Florida, during our four years of house hunting. We don’t want to risk putting up with possible long power outages. Sweltering without AC, and having everything in the refrigerator and freezer turned into garbage.

We have two AC units. One for the master bedroom suite and another for the rest of the house. So, we can limp by if one of the AC units fail.

We thought about buying a smaller gasoline generator. But storing many 5 gallon gasoline cans in the garage is not something we’d want to do, for safety reasons. If you owned a small, portable generator, you’d need a concrete slab installed, and a security cage, so it wouldn’t be stolen. Refilling the gasoline tank would be very unpleasant in pouring rain, hurricane force winds, possible debris blowing around that could hit you, and frequent lightning strikes.

The generator will be installed on the opposite side of the house from the master bedroom suite, so we won’t hear it much, when it runs.

The one concern I had was about the natural gas. If there’s a widespread electric outage, does this impact the pressure in the natural gas distribution system? The answer is, a widespread electric power outage doesn’t impact the natural gas pressure, because the natural gas pressure is maintained my very large generators that are powered by natural gas.

There’s a small risk of experiencing a natural gas outage if you were very unlucky, and a downed tree severed the natural gas distribution line.

A large buried propane tank is an option, but it would add another $4,000 to the cost of the system, and probably would never be needed.

The peace of mind that the whole house natural gas electric electric generator gives us is worth the cost to us, especially because we can easily afford the cost.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

You say gas is not available.
Some of us have gas stoves in our kitchens.
I have a gas stove.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 759 Posts

Not needed here.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:16 AM
Default This is mostly true but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Infrastructure is underground and less than 15 to 25 years old in most of TV. It shouldn’t fail
We get power outages due to problems many miles away from The Villages. Tavares gets frequent power outages that also take us out, for example. Our hurricane outage extended over a week, etc. A generator is a great investment for your safety and well being.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:36 AM

We trolls beneath the bridge have gas appliances. Estimate for a whole house generator was $7500. Nat gas operation. That is about the cost of my Honda 7000 up north. We are riding out a few seasons to see if it is really necessary.
In the meantime, we have a second small refrig in the garage and a portable generator to keep meds and some food safe. We have to store gasoline though. We can also keep a lot of drinks cold in the second refrigerator.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:49 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

2 neighbors have 7Kwatt standbys noise not an issue however neither is auto start
Old 06-12-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post
You say gas is not available.
Some of us have gas stoves in our kitchens.
I have a gas stove.
We live in Bradford. No natural gas available there
Closed Thread

Tags
power, total, customer, fair, pricing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.