Conversation Between 2newyorkers and mgjim

Conversation Between 2newyorkers and mgjim
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. 2newyorkers
    09-16-2013 05:28 PM
    2newyorkers
    I do belong to the genealogy club in the Villages. It is an addicting hobby. I have done some research on Civil War veterans but not in detail. If you know the regiment he was in, google this also. The sites will give you the battles, dates, wounded, and sometimes diaries written by soldiers. Also, google to see if there were local newspapers at this time. They sometimes have stories on home town soldiers.
  2. mgjim
    09-16-2013 12:41 AM
    mgjim
    I've found many of the same documents wherever I look. As expected, there are some misspellings in names, and some dates aren't accurate, but I think I've found out about as much as I can from the various genealogy sites. I did find another clue from your suggestion though. Apparently my relative's daughter or her family placed the monument in the cemetery in Cincinnati and included his name on the monument there. His name is spelled Ernst or Ernest Elfrink, Elffering, or Elfering. The spelling on both his tombstone in the National Cemetery in Chattanooga and on the monument in Cincinnati is Ernest Elfering.

Have you done much research into Civil War soldiers? I know some people get really detailed in their searches and find out a lot more than just the basic government and church documents, but I am very new at this and I didn't even know about Ernest until a couple of months ago. My known ancestors came over much later than he did.

Thanks for your help.
  3. 2newyorkers
    09-15-2013 05:33 PM
    2newyorkers
    I am replying to your request on the 23rd Kentucky Volunteer Regiment. Have you googled this? familysearch.org has information on the regiment also. I would be happy to help you in your research should you require it. I would need your relatives name.
You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.