30 years since a hurricane targeted New England.

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2021, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default 30 years since a hurricane targeted New England.

New England Is Facing Its 1st Direct Hurricane Landfall In 30 Years : NPR

We sure have been having some crazy weather this year.

Quote:
"If Henri strikes southeast New England as a hurricane this weekend, it will be the first direct hurricane landfall since Bob in 1991," National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration spokesman Chris Vaccaro told NPR.

Henri's maximum sustained winds grew to 70 mph on Friday, making it "almost a hurricane," the NHC said in its 2 p.m. ET update. Hurricanes have sustained winds of at least 74 mph.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

I was in my house in Falmouth, MA when Bob hit. I drove from Boxborough to the Cape the day before the strike, and it was raining like animals, until about 5 miles from the Bourne Bridge, then exited the rain line and wind the rest of the way. Lost power, so we left two days later with no power, and when we reached northern MA home, the edge of the hurricane was clearly visible overhead, rotating circular clouds, and blue sky to the south and west.

Used my chain saw to help the neighbors with down trees and limbs. . . but the nice part was "NO BUGS" They were all blown out to sea
Old 08-20-2021, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Just saw the latest update of the hurricane track and it is looking a lot like the Great New England Hurricane of 1938, which hit Long Island and then entered Connecticut and tracked up the Connecticut river through Connecticut, into western Massachusetts, then Vermont. It was before my time but I saw pictures of my very young mother rowing a boat through my grandfather’s flooded farmland in the Connecticut river valley in Northampton, MA, near the Calvin Coolidge bridge, where route 91 is now located. If the storm keeps on it’s current track, it will pass about 20 miles east of our northern home. Just filled up the generator and fired her up to make sure she is running well. Our home is in the Hilltowns at an elevation of about 1,400 ft., so flooding is not a concern. However, unlike Florida, the power lines are above ground and surrounded by big Oak and Maple trees full of leaves, so we are preparing for the possibility of a prolonged power outage. Buckle up!
Old 08-20-2021, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default Geez, that's pretty pessimistic Toph

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just saw the latest update of the hurricane track and it is looking a lot like the Great New England Hurricane of 1938, which hit Long Island and then entered Connecticut and tracked up the Connecticut river through Connecticut, into western Massachusetts, then Vermont. Buckle up!
Geez, I heard 1938 stories from my dad as well, whose uncle lost a boat down the Cape, and it was big for its time. Sunk at the dock. I'm more leaning towards a gloria in 1985, a bit more on the optimistic side, if you will

I have a rental unit on the beach in Dennis next month, i want the house to be there in three weeks

good luck! might be a tough week for the MA, RI, NY utility company I work for
Old 08-21-2021, 05:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Tracking Henri: Storm expected to strengthen to Category 1 Hurricane today – Boston 25 News

I have met an awful lot of people from Massachusetts during the 16 years we have lived now here in the Villages. One, for instance, with a dachshund named Caper! I hope their loved ones weather this event as well as their northern homes.
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, crazy, years, england, targeted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.