Again, and again, and again

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2022, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Funny, no mention of the guns used. Like that is not part of the problem?
It's not, unless you are referring to those guns that float through the air until they get to a school or movie and then fire themselves.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Oh Geez, that's easy. You're not gonna like the answer though:

1. Two-parent homes for raising children;
2. A stay-at home parent;
3. Put away "participation trophies" and teach kids that heartbreak and losing are life lessons and doing so gracefully is important;
4. Return to discipline. Kids are your responsibility to society, NOT your new cuddly best friend for you to pamper and indulge;
5. Return to a shared moral code. In the past, it was Christianity and regular church attendance;
6. Return to community norms. No more, "but it's their culture to be rude" excuses. Abide by community standards or face social ostracism;
7. A return to accountability and personal responsibility for one's actions and behaviors.
With respect to point #2 ) In the 1960s and prior years, couples had large numbers of children because infant mortality was high - many children did not make it to adulthood. Today medical science has changed and many couples have one or two children. With fewer children to supervise and cook for, the woman has more time to work and have a useful career. She is not "barefoot and pregnant" as often due to improved medical science.
........In the 1960s and prior years, the US middle class was one of the strongest in the world. Today the US middle class is one of the weakest in the 1st world. Today the US has the 1st world's greatest wealth disparity between rich and
poor with little or no middle class. That causes the need for BOTH parents to work. So, today couples do NOT have the luxury of a "stay-at-home parent". They wish that they did.
........In the 1960s and prior years, labor unions were strong and insured that workers got FAIR wages for their work plus hospitalization and other benefits. Today labor unions are practically nonexistent, which means that BOTH parents MUST work in any family in the bottom 80% of US society.
........In about the 1980s, outsourcing to 1st the US South, then Mexico, and now today to China - has caused a
further decrease in worker's wages, further wealth disparity, further destruction of the middle class, and further tearing of the US social fabric - which has resulted in increased suicides, increased drug addiction, increased crime, increased proliferation of man-killing long guns and pistols, and finally increased MASS MURDERS.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&JenC View Post
The above is all true. The people who destroyed society in the first place now claim to be able to solve this problem. They are sickening.
It might be NICE to know exactly WHO are these people that have destroyed society? And WHEN and HOW did they accomplish this HUGE undertaking.? And are other 1st world democratic nations affected or NOT? AS is - there is NO meat on those bare bones.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Tulsa, OK, hospital, 4 killed.....what is the answer to these Killings
There are that many killed EVERY weekend in Philadelphia, Chicago, New York.
I don’t recall you starting a thread for them.

In the 23 weeks since 1/1, philadelphia has had more than 200 homicides.

Almost (if not all of them) have been committed by prohibited possessors and probably illegal guns.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:59 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,083 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree with No. 1. But, I don't see how your No. 2 would acccomplish much unless you are going to deny people their legal due process. I don't like red flag laws because they allow people, who are not part of the justice system, to take away legal rights without any due process. They take away your rights, and then you are guilty until you can prove that you are innocent.

The problem with "common sense" ideas is that there will never be universal agreement on what constitutes common sense, especially in today's world.
We may never be able to agree on "common sense", but maybe we could agree on "do-able".

There are 400 million "assault rifles" in private hands, but only a few thousand potential mass murderers. Removing either from society would require a constitutional amendment, or what we usually do -- simply ignore the Constitution. The obvious choice seems like simple math.

The beauty of it is, the lunatics actually use Big Tech to tell us who they are -- if we could just get Big Tech to imagine that an 18-year old kid who says he's going to use his new AR to murder his grandma and then shoot up the grade school down the street is at least as dangerous as a Mom who doesn't want to shoot up her kid with a vaccine that doesn't appear to actually prevent people from getting Covid!

But if you say that's not "common sense", I guess I'm out of ideas.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Violent movies, violent video games, kids today are desensitized, blood and guts mean nothing to them.
That IS possibly true. But, it is happening that way in ALL other G-7 countries and they do NOT have a significant GUN problem like the US does.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
#8 - get rid of social media
#9 eliminate TV channels that spew propaganda and hate!
Old 06-02-2022, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
#9 eliminate TV channels that spew propaganda and hate!
Like ABC, NBC, CBS, and MSNBC?????
Old 06-02-2022, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
See, some of us consider that moving backward not forward. As with many things moving forward can be painful. The industrial revolution was the start of all the things listed, should we return to pre-industrialization? That was a lovely bucolic time.
Protect the status of the "experts" who have taken us here in the name of a better society , suggesting going back to preindustrial era avoids the point
Old 06-02-2022, 01:11 PM

quit saying it is a mental health issue. lives should not depend on some mental person, forgetting to take his or her pill in the morning.....they belong in jail.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
This is a good article. I noticed that 35 Billion dollars would be needed to provide enough school counselors. I would be willing to have my property taxes raised to accomplish this. But, the question is, how many other people here would?
Old 06-02-2022, 01:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,960 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
It might be NICE to know exactly WHO are these people that have destroyed society? And WHEN and HOW did they accomplish this HUGE undertaking.? And are other 1st world democratic nations affected or NOT? AS is - there is NO meat on those bare bones.
Only in the U.S. can you get shot in school, go to the supermarket get shot, go the hospital, get shot again, recover, then go to church — only to get shot once more.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
We would have to stop the world and restart again to accomplish this.

Don't know about any of you people, but I'm a senior citizen looking for my eternal life
someplace else.
The US is the only one of the G-7 that has a HUGE mass murder issue. Their children do NOT have tobe frightened to go to school. And Canada is working on a method to prevent 99% of all GUN crime, while still allowing for legitimate hunting and target practice. I guess that the northern attitudes make Canada smarter than the US and Mexico!
Old 06-02-2022, 01:55 PM

No pun intended but there is no Silver Bullet for the solution to this. The genie is out of the bottle and will continue to slip through our fingers if attempt to put him back in.

Let's just say you ban all guns - that might stop NEW guns from getting on the street but then how do you collect all the guns that are out there and how many will die in the effort of trying to collect them?

Sorry I don't have the link, but I read someplace where after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, the reason they didn't start invading the US was because they knew we were armed and would resist. Switzerland issues everyone a rifle and you don't hear about mass shooting there. The issue isn't just the tool but the person wielding it.

Now do I have a solution, sorry no. Wish I did... Do I think making background checks mandatory for any automatic weapon purchase is a good idea, as long as it includes a mental health check with that and a way for people to challenge if it has been set.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Well, I wish we could live the world ElDiabloJoe suggests, but here's a couple of things we could actually do now.

1. Re-open the insane asylums and make it possible to once again commit dangerous lunatics, like we used to do back before we had mass-murders by dangerous lunatics every other month.

2. Make Big Tech apply the same powerful algorithms they use to detect people pointing out that the Covid Vaccines don't work, to detecting the ravings of the next murderous lunatic, as he documents in detail on-line his plans to commit mass murder.

Just a couple of alternative common-sense ideas, since everyone seems to have a "common sense" plan these days to remove 400 million guns, which might be a little more difficult than simply locking up the lunatics.
I agree with both #1 and #2.
Closed Thread

Tags
tulsa, hospital, killed, answer, killings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.