Apple iPhone 6s supported another year

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2021, 07:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Apple iPhone 6s supported another year

Apple had their World Wide Developer Conference yesterday and announced the new iOS operating system for iPhones will be released this fall. iOS 15 will support iPhone 6s, which means the iPhone 6s will be supported for at least another year, making its supported life 7 years.

I mention this tidbit because there was a thread earlier about if the 6s was going to be supported any longer. Well, now we know. If you have one and are happy with it, you can use it for at least another year confident it will be supported. 7 years is a pretty long time for a cell phone nowadays...
Old 06-09-2021, 09:24 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Apple had their World Wide Developer Conference yesterday and announced the new iOS operating system for iPhones will be released this fall. iOS 15 will support iPhone 6s, which means the iPhone 6s will be supported for at least another year, making its supported life 7 years.

I mention this tidbit because there was a thread earlier about if the 6s was going to be supported any longer. Well, now we know. If you have one and are happy with it, you can use it for at least another year confident it will be supported. 7 years is a pretty long time for a cell phone nowadays...
I have an older SE and wonder if it will still work even if not supported.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My son has the SE model that we bought for him about 9 years ago. Other than two screen replacements the phone has been flawless. I don’t think you have much to worry about. Hopefully it will last you another 5 years or more.

I’m an Apple Lover. I have had only one problem in the last 10 years. It was an iMac that I purchased last August. The first one lasted two weeks and the next one they sent me has been nothing but a major headache. I just bought a Mac Mini and an hoping for 10 years of service. I think Apple is worth the extra money in case you have to replace the SE. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Platinum member

Wish they would support the 6+.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
I have an older SE and wonder if it will still work even if not supported.
It will work fine, at some point apps may start not being able to run or to become buggy if the app developer doesn't maintain backward compatibility for the SE.

But, not being able to run the latest iOS does not mean the phone will stop working.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Wish they would support the 6+.
I know, and I do too. But at some point the hardware is so old it can't perform the functions needed for the new features.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:04 AM

We replaced our old iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6S plus after my iPhone 6 electronically failed, and couldn’t be recovered or factory reset. That was early in the pandemic where there were rumors that large stock of iPhones were being bought by speculators that believed they could sell the iPhones at double or triple the price. At the time, many common items, like yeast for baking was selling for 10 to 15 times the normal price.

We replaced our two iPhones with iPhone 11 Pro Max with the medium storage. There was a significant improvement in performance with the new iPhones, but it was a bit annoying to see the 3.5mm audio connector go away. Using dongle audio adapters is annoying. They alway get lost, so you have to keep spare adapters on hand.

I’d recommend getting the larger screen iPhone version, especially if you have vision problems. It’s also worth the cost to get more than the minimum storage. Otherwise, you’ll have to delete photos to take new photos, if you keep running out of storage space.

It’s very important to get s screen protector and a decent iPhone case to protect your iPhone. I’ve seen many people that carry bare, unprotected iPhones, often times, with cracked screens. A bare iPhone is slippery and easy to drop. It’s also much easier to lose. Also, make sure to activate the “Find My IPhone” app before the iPhone is lost! Also, make sure that the iPhone is backed up daily to the Apple cloud storage using a strong password that you never forget.

When we replaced our two iPhones, the cost was close to $1,500 each, including the Apple Care extended warranty. The extended warranty is very important to protect your expensive iPhone, even if you have a screen protector and case.

Smart cellphones are part of your daily life now. It’s easy to use the iPhone 8 hours a day. Almost none of that time making telephone calls. The iPhone is so much better than the Android cellphone. The iPhone is like a Lexus or high end car. The Android is like a Yugo, or a low end junker car. At some point, you’ll have to bite the bullet, and spend the money on the new iPhone. Get the newest iPhone model to help future proof the iPhone longer. After all, you can’t take the money with you when you die! You might as well get some enjoyment out of your money that you carefully saved during your working years.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

I'm a dinosaur. I have an Apple 6s, and I make a phone call maybe once a month if even that. I do read my email on it once in a while (like if I'm on the road), and when asked for my cellphone #, if I give it out, it's with the caveat that I don't usually have my phone on, so good luck.....
I do know, however, that the new 5g phones have tons of stuff, but if you read the fine print when signing up (and I'm sure that EVERYBODY does that), you'll see that you are just about giving up all your private info.
Sure, having the latest in cellphone technology is convenient, but you are leaving yourself and all you hold worthwhile, wide open for theft.
I'll make this prediction: Someday a lot of you will wake up and find your access to your accounts blocked, or if you can access them, you'll find them (bank accounts, etc.) empty. The cyber criminals are out there, and like day traders, are watching the numbers. And when they get those numbers (account holders that they can hack) to where they like, they will hit the "send" key and BOOM....it's all over.
Dig in, fight back, and resist doing things for "convenience". Protect what you have, and don't believe that technology makes you secure.
OK, I'm done.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I'm a dinosaur. I have an Apple 6s, and I make a phone call maybe once a month if even that. I do read my email on it once in a while (like if I'm on the road), and when asked for my cellphone #, if I give it out, it's with the caveat that I don't usually have my phone on, so good luck.....
Absolutely, so many people fall into the "gotta have the latest" trends. I agree with you, if your phone does what you need it to, then it "works".

As a developer, I have many old devices so I can test my apps on them all and I have the latest so I can test it on that one. I even have a functional iPad 1.0 - LOL... it makes a good wall clock now!
Old 06-10-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
It’s also worth the cost to get more than the minimum storage. Otherwise, you’ll have to delete photos to take new photos, if you keep running out of storage space.
You don’t have to get extra memory. You can download your photos to a laptop and onto an external storage or pay 99 cents a month for extra cloud storage. I do the latter.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
It’s also worth the cost to get more than the minimum storage. Otherwise, you’ll have to delete photos to take new photos, if you keep running out of storage space.
This depends on how many photos you take.

But, assuming you take a lot, then a less expensive path would be to pay for additional iCloud storage and turn on the setting in the iPhone to optimize the use of your phone storage. This automatically keeps the photo's on iCloud, and only pulls one down to the phone when you actually look at it. This has the additional advantage of making it very easy to share the photo's via iCloud sharing. You can even share slide shows from the cloud.

And, if you are backing up your phone to the iCloud your photos are already being stored there, so there is really little reason to keep a copy on your phone. Unless you want to show your photo's on the phone screen and you are in an area with no cell service.

I am sure everyone knows I am an Apple fanboy, but there is no doubt Apple charges a significant premium for storage in their phones. I believe they are doing this to both make a serious profit and to encourage people to use the cloud. There are some really cool features coming out toward the end of this year which will make extensive use of iCloud.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I do know, however, that the new 5g phones have tons of stuff, but if you read the fine print when signing up (and I'm sure that EVERYBODY does that), you'll see that you are just about giving up all your private info.
Sure, having the latest in cellphone technology is convenient, but you are leaving yourself and all you hold worthwhile, wide open for theft.
I'll make this prediction: Someday a lot of you will wake up and find your access to your accounts blocked, or if you can access them, you'll find them (bank accounts, etc.) empty. The cyber criminals are out there, and like day traders, are watching the numbers. And when they get those numbers (account holders that they can hack) to where they like, they will hit the "send" key and BOOM....it's all over.
Dig in, fight back, and resist doing things for "convenience". Protect what you have, and don't believe that technology makes you secure.
OK, I'm done.
Paranoid or just a glass is half empty guy?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
supported, iphone, year, apple, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.