Baby Formula Shipments

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2022, 06:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts
Default Baby Formula Shipments

What a joke, a plane load here, a plane load there.

Not a drop in the bucket & months late.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

How in the world did nobody in the federal govt knowing that a large portion of formula capacity was off line raise their hand and say guys we have a big problem coming and a few planeloads of formula from Europe is a drop in the bucket.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
How in the world did nobody in the federal govt knowing that a large portion of formula capacity was off line raise their hand and say guys we have a big problem coming and a few planeloads of formula from Europe is a drop in the bucket.
yes I agree this never should have happened.. but why would the federal gov't keep track of baby formula ??
Old 05-26-2022, 07:05 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
yes I agree this never should have happened.. but why would the federal gov't keep track of baby formula ??
They don't have to track...............they need to think, Cause & Effect.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
The FDA closed a major producer of formula in a market where there is only a few manufacturers. What did they think would happen when the factory was closed for many months?
Old 05-26-2022, 09:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,940 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
The FDA closed a major producer of formula in a market where there is only a few manufacturers. What did they think would happen when the factory was closed for many months?
The question should be why didn't ABBOT take control of their issue. Why were imports of baby formula banned in the USMCA trade agreement, Why aren't there overlapping formulas between manufactures. Why does Capitalism allow monopolies? Four companies control baby formula. Four companies control meatpacking and they all can set prices at will. I love capitalism when I can control demand I can set the price.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
The question should be why didn't ABBOT take control of their issue. Why were imports of baby formula banned in the USMCA trade agreement, Why aren't there overlapping formulas between manufactures. Why does Capitalism allow monopolies? Four companies control baby formula. Four companies control meatpacking and they all can set prices at will. I love capitalism when I can control demand I can set the price.
Better question is why is the govt allowing these mergers that reduce competition? Shocked that the govt allowed Spring and T Mobile to merge. How does that not limit competition?

Also what really happened between Abbott and the govt after the FDA closed the facility? Suddenly when their is a shortage of formula Abbott can suddenly restart the factory? How is that?
Old 05-26-2022, 09:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

That is ONE thing that is being done. It is NOT a solution, it I snot perfect. It is ONE of many things put in place to resolve the problem.

The root cause of the problem is the legal restriction of producers of baby formula, and the legal restriction of importing baby formula. Combine that with the largest provider in the US closing a main plant and it was inevitable.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
It was a voluntary closure after. whistle blower contacted the FDA with concerns. The FDA then "dragged its feet" in addressing the problem. To me the more important question is why the FDA dragged it's feet.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Better question is why is the govt allowing these mergers that reduce competition? Shocked that the govt allowed Spring and T Mobile to merge. How does that not limit competition?

Also what really happened between Abbott and the govt after the FDA closed the facility? Suddenly when their is a shortage of formula Abbott can suddenly restart the factory? How is that?
I agreed with the question, why are we allowing monopolies that put the public at risk. I think the answer is obvious, money.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:51 AM

Quote:

The FDA didn't close Abbot, they closed themselves because they had a roof leak and 4 babies got sick and 2 died possibly from their formula. this happened in February and they are still closed for a roof repair. why didn't they repair the roof before it became a problem?
Old 05-27-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:

And that’s affecting you how??
Old 05-27-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:

What a disaster! How could anyone know how to feed a baby without Baby Formula? The babies should launch a huge protest.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:46 AM

Gentlemen:

Feeding babies is considered a “woman’s” issue and, therefore, low priority. It’s something women deal with from the time they are born: as soon as their gender is determined rights are taken away and they are marginalized.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:47 AM

No kidding. Why on earth wasn't the manufacturing problem resolved months ago. Then because of NAFTA changes a few years ago, we couldn't get anything imported quickly. If we are going to buy American products, we need more than 1-2 companies producing it just in case of issues like the one the producers had.
Closed Thread

Tags
plane, load, baby, drop, late

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.