This can't be good news.

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2022, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
Last five years of my career I was the sole negotiated for my local. The one thing I leaned was if employers treated workers fairly unions would not exist. It's not only wages on the table, many times it's also the safety of the employees. I went against the 3 major networks, the Broadway League, the Major studios. You never sit across from a CEOs; you sit across from a group of hired guns who have a parameter they are locked to, and they secure their position by how low they can keep the cost. It doesn't matter if they are not offering a living wage, or they work their employees around the clock, they do what is best for themselves. I don't fault them, they have families and mouths to feed, but so do union members.
That IMO maybe be true 80 plus years ago, but in today’s union you’re pricing yourselves out of the market and company just moved across southern borders or China with no repercussions, and CEO gets millions in bonus and stock option for eliminating high cost of labor in this country and gets near slave labor out of country and don’t have to deal with EPA.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
If not for unions in the past, all workers would be working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day in unfit conditions and making Florida minimum wage.
Agree, but greed started set in around late 60s 70’s, 80’s, 90’s 2000’s.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It depends on the union. My experience as a union worker in two different union jobs has been especially negative.

1. Was only hired because the person who was in the position was required to leave, because she wanted to go to part time, and the union wouldn't allow two part timers to occupy the position. I was not told this. It was a civil service job. Two weeks before my 6-month probabionary period was over, they fired me and hired her back. Turns out there was some kind of time window, and the coast was clear for her to return. I tried to fight it but the union said I was still on my first 6 months, so they wouldn't represent me. I reminded them I had been paying union dues since my first week there, and they still refused. I had to fight them to get a refund for the 5.5 months of union dues I paid without the right to representation.

2. Supermarket worker in a union shop. They actually -negotiated- for a first aid kit on every floor of the building. Clue as to why that's stupid: OSHA requires a first aid kit on every floor of the building. I wonder what the union gave up in exchange for something they were getting anyway. They also -required- me to pay full union dues which included a really BAD health insurance that I wasn't eligible to use anyway, because I already had free excellent health insurance through my husband's job. Law stated that I could pay just the monthly maintenance fee and opt out of union membership, but they refused to allow it. They weren't supposed to require that of me. But - Teamsters will be Teamsters. If you won't join the union, you can't work in that company. They will fight you tooth and nail, and they have the money to cover the expense - because everyone else is paying through the wahoo for things like first aid kits (translation - the Union President's bank account).

My husband worked for a union shop - they spoiled their employees like crazy. But the company didn't negotiate anything. They just said "this is what we're offering" and the union said "awesome." It was the company that was great (at the time), not the union. The union took his weekly bribe to do absolutely nothing other than sign some papers once a year. Eventually that local got taken over by an out-of-state regional union who tried to push for things that the employees didn't need, and made a fuss about everything, while actually not -doing- anything. Eventually the company said "y'know what - we're closing this department. You're all out of jobs, have a nice day."

So nah - not a fan of unions. They had their place. They abused their privilege and now they've just made it more difficult for everyone.
The civil service job ( federal?) you was hired (probably on contract?) and on probation period which means that had the option to to keep ( based on need) or let you go ( based on not needed) and of course the union going to fight for the permanent employees.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhagen View Post
Ah, I wonder why a lot of manufacturing jobs are now in foreign countries???
Come on, you know why. Cost of labor and greed.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
With 25% tariff on goods coming from China, insanely high freight rates and delays in transit quite a few manufacturing jobs are coming back to the US.
Yup, corporations are required by law to maximize profits over employees and customers (it's a good cover lie then tell). So, yeah, they go where they make the most money. Almost like Capitalism has run amuck, I mean why not, since they purchased our government.
Closed Thread

Tags
workers, news, problem, reached, deal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.