CDC release on breakthrough infections

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2021, 03:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Actually, I have brought up children in my discussions a few times and mostly to say that kids mostly are not effected by Covid. If your numbers are correct, 400 is a small number considering the total number of deaths. Children can, however, spread the disease to others very efficiently if they are infected. Who know how many asymptomatic kids are out there? Anyone? Anyone?
So you would be okay vaccinating young children, who are in very little danger from Covid themselves, with a vaccine that no one knows whether there will be long term side effects - just to protect yourself…
WOW…
Old 08-06-2021, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
So you would be okay vaccinating young children, who are in very little danger from Covid themselves, with a vaccine that no one knows whether there will be long term side effects - just to protect yourself…
WOW…
I'm not worried about myself. I'm fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine so I'm protected. It's not about me or my family who is also fully vaccinated. It is about those who are not able to be vaccinated; those who have medical contraindications for the vaccine, those who are immunocompromised who do not have full benefit from the vaccines. It is about SAFE herd immunity and it's going to take vaccination of children and more adults to achieve that goal.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not worried about myself. I'm fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine so I'm protected. It's not about me or my family who is also fully vaccinated. It is about those who are not able to be vaccinated; those who have medical contraindications for the vaccine, those who are immunocompromised who do not have full benefit from the vaccines. It is about SAFE herd immunity and it's going to take vaccination of children and more adults to achieve that goal.
First of all, herd immunity is off the table. they had a couple of months to do it, knowing they most likely would not achieve it in a country/population of this size. Future variants might be worse than the variants we are already seeing in that they will resist the vaccine altogether so it won't matter if you're vaccinated. That's a very real possibility. Herd immunity using vaccines has to be done quickly and in conjunction with natural exposure to a virus. But that's using a traditional vaccine that prevents infection. Maybe true herd immunity isn't even possible with a mRNA vaccine?

Secondly, I find it distasteful and cringe-worthy that so many seniors are worried about their own mortality and obsessed with safety. We have become a risk-averse society which has made us more reliant on government at every level for solutions, instructions, regulations, mandates, etc. And this was even before COVID.

Good thing we're not required to forge a nation out of the wilderness or anything.

Last edited by Escape Artist; 08-06-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
According to the CDC virtually everyone, with medical issues can get the vaccine if they want it. So, just curious, how many people are truly medically unable to be vaccinated? I keep seeing posts that say we need to protect them. Is this just another smokescreen, like “protect the children”…?
Old 08-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Fauci's resume is impeccable. He is a legend in his field. History will remember him, not that self-promoting VETERINARIAN!
Was... For his work on the AIDS virus... Since then? A bureaucrat...

And not to mention his work in "Gain of Function", quietly re-starting the program after it was shut down 2 administrations ago...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-06-2021, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Here Are The Biggest Groups That Are Still Refusing The Covid-19 Vaccine, Poll Finds

EXCERPT.........Nearly half of unvaccinated respondents were Republicans (49% versus 29% Democrats), as opposed to 31% of vaccinated respondents who identified as Republicans and 59% Democrats.
Notice how they only break it down by party? Not by race nor ethnicity?

The CDC (you trust them, right?) says the groups who are vaccinated the least are Blacks an Latinos...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-06-2021, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's not "all" about money. Price increases are about money of course. Otherwise they'd be an increase in elevation of their patio chairs. Or an increase in the height of the new roof. Or an increase in my waist after eating a box of Yodels.

Did you really expect these companies would be able to continue doing research, improving their product, and basically giving away the entire first batch of their vaccines, without recouping some of those expenses? They are for-profit corporations, not governmental social programs.

You want capitalism, but you don't want to pay for it?
Giving away?

The Google machine is a fascinating thing...

"Pfizer Reaps Hundreds of Millions in Profits From Covid Vaccine. The company said its vaccine generated $3.5 billion in revenue in the first three months of this year."

"Moderna Inc. MRNA, -0.61% brought in $1.7 billion in sales of its COVID-19 vaccine in the first quarter of 2021, marking the company's first significant billion-dollar revenue haul this year and also the first time it's ever reported a GAAP profit. Moderna had earnings of $1.2 billion, or $2.84 per share, in the first quarter of 2021. This is compared to a loss of $124 million, or 35 cents per share, in the first quarter a year ago."

-Tom Petty
Old 08-06-2021, 07:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The United States government did NOT fund the Pfizer vaccine.
Correct... It was the GERMAN government...

"Berlin gave the German company $445 million in an agreement in September to help accelerate the vaccine by building out manufacturing and development capacity in its home market.

What the U.S. did, meanwhile, was commit to buying hundreds of millions of vaccines in advance to ensure Americans were among the first in line if it clinches an emergency-use authorization or approval from the FDA. The Trump administration agreed in July to pay almost $2 billion for 100 million doses, with an option to acquire as many as 500 million more, once that clearance comes."

-Tom Petty
Old 08-06-2021, 07:03 PM
Sage

But those facts are "racist"!

-Tom Petty
Old 08-06-2021, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Correct... It was the GERMAN government...

"Berlin gave the German company $445 million in an agreement in September to help accelerate the vaccine by building out manufacturing and development capacity in its home market.

What the U.S. did, meanwhile, was commit to buying hundreds of millions of vaccines in advance to ensure Americans were among the first in line if it clinches an emergency-use authorization or approval from the FDA. The Trump administration agreed in July to pay almost $2 billion for 100 million doses, with an option to acquire as many as 500 million more, once that clearance comes."
True. The US did offer money, but they turned it down. And yes, the US committed to buying it.
Closed Thread

Tags
breakthrough, cases, prevent, spread, severe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.