CDC release on breakthrough infections

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
The seven-day average Vaccines administered are up 26% over the past 3 weeks, according to headlines today. Some states are over double in the past three weeks.

This is good news.
It's a shame it's taken this long. Too many people just keep banging their heads against the wall, expecting the door to open. Eventually they learn - there's no door there. You need to first find a door.

That's what's happened with this vaccine and the virus. Wall = refusal to vaccinate. Door = the vaccine.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
Hanlon's razor is appropriate here. "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
This is a good one to use in the context of vaccine and virus deniers. They're not actually malicious. They're just stupid.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
This virus was created in a lab using gain of function research funded by Fauci so its going be problematic. Fortunately there is a new technology being developed by last years Nobel prize winner and others that will be able to bypass the immune system antibody method and destroy the DNA of the virus directly.
Here's a good explanation of the gain of function situation:

news observer article

Notice that this article doesn't make fun of, disparage, or even address the people themselves. It is an explanation of the actual science, the facts themselves. No accusations that one side is smarter/dumber than the other. No "what abouts." Just simple easy to understand information.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:50 AM
Default EUA Revoked for PCR test?

The CDC announced they will revoke the emergency use authorization of the PCR tests first introduced in February of 2020.

"CDC encourages laboratories to consider adoption of a multiplexed method that can facilitate detection and differentiation of SARS CoV-2 and influenza viruses."

Lab Alert: Changes to CDC RT-PCR for SARS-CoV-2 Testing

So, does this mean that the PCR test that was used during the "pandemic" could not differentiate between Sars CoV-2 and influenza?
Old 08-01-2021, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
They have been traced to people traveling back and forth from the Miami area to South America where Delta and the two new variants are from. This is the same region the 1 million illegal aliens have come from, unmasked and unvaxxed and ignored by some for PC reasons.
India, the UK, and several European countries had Delta before the US did. Were they impacted by the US southern border too?

We need to stop with the ridiculous attempts to find someone to blame other than the 40%ish of the country who have refused to get the vaccination. They are the ones predominately getting sick and filling the hospitals. They are the ones predominately spreading the virus. They are the ones who are driving the "need" for the new mask mandates. They, the unvaccinated, are the primary reason the virus is still spreading. Talking about the border is a distraction or a deflection - deal with the problem at hand.

Yes, there are some who legitimately cannot be vaccinated. Their need for special protection is due to the vaccine refusers as well.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-01-2021, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I see we hit a new record in Florida - 21,000 cases.

For those that like to use common sense, what does getting a record number of cases while performing half as many tests imply? (We are down from 90,000 tests to 48,000 tests per day)
My guess----it IMPLIES that 1/2 the population has been vaccinated and doesn't show up to get tested, leaving the unvaccinated in the test line----1/2 as many tests but many more positives..... Just a guess.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
India, the UK, and several European countries had Delta before the US did. Were they impacted by the US southern border too?

We need to stop with the ridiculous attempts to find someone to blame other than the 40%ish of the country who have refused to get the vaccination. They are the ones predominately getting sick and filling the hospitals. They are the ones predominately spreading the virus. They are the ones who are driving the "need" for the new mask mandates. They, the unvaccinated, are the primary reason the virus is still spreading. Talking about the border is a distraction or a deflection - deal with the problem at hand.

Yes, there are some who legitimately cannot be vaccinated. Their need for special protection is due to the vaccine refusers as well.
I hope these "travelers" don't have the dreaded South African variant which rampaged through Brazil. There could be new variants also, it's hard to keep up.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Covid is not an influenza virus. "Flu" is short for "influenza virus." COVID-19 is short for "COronaVIrus Disease."

The veterinarian who wrote his treatise warning against the vaccine - if you were actually paying attention around the time that was written - was mostly referring to the concept that in order for a vaccine against COVID-19 to be effective, MOST people need to be vaccinated. There was no way to develop, AND test, AND manufacture, AND distribute a vaccine for COVID-19 in time for "most" people to be immunized.

That meant the virus would have had a LOT of time to mutate.

He was absolutely spot-on right, in that. But it wasn't because people COULDN'T vaccinate in time. It's because they CHOSE not to vaccinate in time.

The warnings were coming from everywhere - you get vaccinated as soon as you are eligible, as soon as the vaccine is available to you. If you don't, the virus can mutate.

Too many people said "screw that, I'll take my chances." And the virus did EXACTLY as predicted: it mutated.

If people took the "herd immunity" concept more seriously THEN, the virus wouldn't have had the opportunity to mutate NOW.
Anti-vaxxers, hesitant-vaxxers, religious conscientious objector-vaxxers have their fingers in their ears while they chant la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la so loudly to drown out any information that they either do not agree with or are afraid of. You can't fix stupid. There, is said it finally. I've been waaaaaaaay too nice about this crap.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
My guess----it IMPLIES that 1/2 the population has been vaccinated and doesn't show up to get tested, leaving the unvaccinated in the test line----1/2 as many tests but many more positives..... Just a guess.
I haven't been tested at all, not from the day the first tests became available to the present.

I spent the entire last year just flat out assuming that I'd been exposed to it, due to the nature of my job at the time (working in Publix before masks were required, while masks were required but unenforceable by employees, and out in the parking lots where masks were also not required). No need to have proof that you were exposed to something, if you just go ahead and assume you were exposed to it.

I had no symptoms throughout so either I was never exposed and therefore not able to have caught COVID, or I was exposed and either didn't catch the disease, or was asymptomatic.

*I* wore a mask, so *I* did *my* part in minimizing the risk that everyone else might catch it from me, if I was actually infected but asymptomatic.

Now that the vaccine is here, I'm fully vaccinated and willing to get the booster if the CDC ends up recommending it. Hopefully they'll decide within the next couple of months so we can get it in time for it to be as effective as Pfizer says it should be.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I haven't been tested at all, not from the day the first tests became available to the present.

I spent the entire last year just flat out assuming that I'd been exposed to it, due to the nature of my job at the time (working in Publix before masks were required, while masks were required but unenforceable by employees, and out in the parking lots where masks were also not required). No need to have proof that you were exposed to something, if you just go ahead and assume you were exposed to it.

I had no symptoms throughout so either I was never exposed and therefore not able to have caught COVID, or I was exposed and either didn't catch the disease, or was asymptomatic.

*I* wore a mask, so *I* did *my* part in minimizing the risk that everyone else might catch it from me, if I was actually infected but asymptomatic.

Now that the vaccine is here, I'm fully vaccinated and willing to get the booster if the CDC ends up recommending it. Hopefully they'll decide within the next couple of months so we can get it in time for it to be as effective as Pfizer says it should be.
Bring on the booster. I want to cruise!
Old 08-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Anti-vaxxers, hesitant-vaxxers, religious conscientious objector-vaxxers have their fingers in their ears while they chant la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la so loudly to drown out any information that they either do not agree with or are afraid of. You can't fix stupid. There, is said it finally. I've been waaaaaaaay too nice about this crap.
Sure, like that is going to convince anyone to get their vaccination.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Too judgmental, IMO. I chose to be vaccinated due to my age bracket. I don't really care about those choosing not to get the vaccine. Their choice and they will live with any adverse consequences. And, for younger generations, the risk of adverse consequences is minimal.

Have you ever considered that we might be the ones that turn out to be stupid. After all, the vaccines are still only experimental having only been approved for emergency use. No one yet knows if there are any long term effects. I'm hoping not but I still understand there's that risk.

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	21052dbbeff27ac0[1].jpg
Views:	69
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	90282  
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
No one is stopping you now. Cruise ships have been leaving port in Florida.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So you are saying the tests are weighted to people that are not vaccinated, and that would account for the higher percentage of testing positive.

That is a very good answer. Thank you. I will have to scratch my head for a while to see if the bias adds up, but the first impression is you are right.

(Oh darn, sorry, I didn't mean to agree with you again - people are going to start taking!)
Closed Thread

Tags
breakthrough, cases, prevent, spread, severe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.