Chicago "What are we going to have left in our community"

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2020, 04:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default Chicago "What are we going to have left in our community"

For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind

Chicago is being overrun by rioters, it's all over the city affecting every ward. This is a report by WTTW Chicago, the most watched public station in the country. The report is based on a recording of a phone conference between Chicago's Mayor and all 50 Alderman.

Sad to read for me as I was born near Chicago. Please read the whole thing before commenting.

‘What Are We Going To Have Left In Our Community?’ Aldermen React with Panic, Sorrow to Unrest | Chicago News | WTTW
Old 06-10-2020, 07:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

This is a sad read. If we aren't careful this will be most of the country. As stated in the article we are reverting back to the wild, wild west.
No law, just thugs destroying, stealing and killing.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

At some point the silent majority will have to respond. If they continue sit idly by do nothing to stop the current trend in America, the country we all cherish will continue to erode to an unrecognizable and undesirable state.

What will be accomplished? A country with two types of people. The haves and the have nots.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
At some point the silent majority will have to respond. If they continue sit idly by do nothing to stop the current trend in America, the country we all cherish will continue to erode to an unrecognizable and undesirable state.

What will be accomplished? A country with two types of people. The haves and the have nots.
Yes, totally agree. We have to respond and do "whatever it takes" ... we're well past the point of being reasonable and understanding.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Too much letting crooks get away with their actions.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

It's an example of not letting the police do their job or in other words no police, which is the same as defund the police. Wow. How stupid. Send in the national guard and start knocking some heads.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind

Chicago is being overrun by rioters, it's all over the city affecting every ward. This is a report by WTTW Chicago, the most watched public station in the country. The report is based on a recording of a phone conference between Chicago's Mayor and all 50 Alderman.

Sad to read for me as I was born near Chicago. Please read the whole thing before commenting.

‘What Are We Going To Have Left In Our Community?’ Aldermen React with Panic, Sorrow to Unrest | Chicago News | WTTW
Thanks for sharing that article and recording. I think the biblical idea of sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind means getting a response much worse than you expected. Some might say the protests and rioting and looting are the whirlwind following after years of police brutality. Others might say that the rioting and looting are the wind, and now the whirlwind will follow, including, among other things, not having a place to shop because people destroyed those places and the owners decided to leave.

We remember this happening back in ‘68. Some neighborhoods around the country have never recovered. I tend to think, “Well, you should have thought of that before you trashed your neighborhood.” Even dogs know that there are some things they just don’t do in their own crate.

The whole thing appalls and disgusts me. I’d like those rioters and looters and arsonists and protestors to pay the rest of us reparations.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
Yes, totally agree. We have to respond and do "whatever it takes" ... we're well past the point of being reasonable and understanding.
The have guns and the have not guns.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Seriously, you're not aware that the gap between the wealthiest and the poorest ("haves vs. have nots") has been growing for more than 50 years and the difference between them is now....the greatest in this country's history?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Chicago is ripe with problems, but the biggest one is the hopelessly underfunded public employee pension plans and post retirement health care benefits. The city is basically bankrupt because of many many years of horrible fiscal management. I am not trying to understate it's horrific crime and murder statistics, but those costs are more or less born by the City's unfortunate residents. The fiscal mess that is upon Chicago will most likely become the financial responsibility of all of American tax payers, even the ones that live in places that sacrifice in the name of fiscal responsibility. Very sad indeed.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Go figure. Maybe it's time for you doom and gloomers to pay a visit.

Nearly 58 Million Visitors Help Set New Chicago Tourism Records, City Says – NBC Chicago
Old 06-10-2020, 08:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Go figure. Maybe it's time for you doom and gloomers to pay a visit.

Nearly 58 Million Visitors Help Set New Chicago Tourism Records, City Says – NBC Chicago
That's great, but that's from 2018, I'd guess the combo of covid and city wide riots has toned down the tourism a bit.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
That's great, but that's from 2018, I'd guess the combo of covid and city wide riots has toned down the tourism a bit.
Comparing 2018 to 2020 is so weak. Think about it.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Comparing 2018 to 2020 is so weak. Think about it.
Think I am more likely to come back when they finish looting and destroying the city and it is a bit safer to visit.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
Think I am more likely to come back when they finish looting and destroying the city and it is a bit safer to visit.
Stu, I'm sure you'll be missed. Hope to see you there soon.
Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, read, report, mayor, chicagos

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.