Was Sturgis motorcycle rally a superspreader event?

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2020, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts
Default Was Sturgis motorcycle rally a superspreader event?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-rally-spread/

Interesting to ponder the potential possibility!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

If you base your question on a questionable news source any answer could be correct...or wrong. They base their conclusions on how much fear it can spread.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

we attended a super spreader Trump rally in Ocala. it was great, had lots of fun, sunshine & no masks~! none of us sick yet, will keep you posted, lol
Old 10-19-2020, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
If you base your question on a questionable news source any answer could be correct...or wrong. They base their conclusions on how much fear it can spread.
I own a red hat that is popular around here. However, The Washington Post is dependable with facts, as is The New York Times, Reuters, AP wire, and The Guardian. Their opinion writers all have opinions frequently contrary to mine, but they are considered by most to be responsible with valid information. They are all decidedly slanted left.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-19-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Washington Post is dependable with facts, as is The New York Times,, Their opinion writers all have opinions frequently contrary to mine, but they are considered by most to be responsible.
I had to read that ten (10) time to believe my eyes..
These two (2) papers have more Retractions and Apologies then any other news paper in this country. They actually should go into the toilet paper business with the stuff they print.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:40 AM
TOTV Moderator

Please don't turn this into an argument about media sources.

Please address the content of the article quoted by the OP.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
I own a red hat that is popular around here. However, The Washington Post is dependable with facts, as is The New York Times, Reuters, AP wire, and The Guardian. Their opinion writers all have opinions frequently contrary to mine, but they are considered by most to be responsible.
LOL, now that’s funny.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
we attended a super spreader Trump rally in Ocala. it was great, had lots of fun, sunshine & no masks~! none of us sick yet, will keep you posted, lol

Did bring whistle and box of matches?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
I hope you don't get sick. A lot of people that were keeping low are out and about. Yesterday I heard of two people I know well sick with Covid. Well one, a Villager, her daughter, who doesn't live here is in the hospital with Covid pneumonia.

I am sad to read that the vaccine may be delayed until Spring.

I don't want anyone to get it, especially our wonderful group of seventy or better.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
I hope you don't get sick. A lot of people that were keeping low are out and about. Yesterday I heard of two people I know well sick with Covid. Well one, a Villager, her daughter, who doesn't live here is in the hospital with Covid pneumonia.

I am sad to read that the vaccine may be delayed until Spring.

I don't want anyone to get it, especially our wonderful group of seventy or better.
Was it ever going to be earlier ? Who said it might be earlier ? Samebfolks who have lied about every aspect of this virus.

I think that "delayed" is a wrong term to use.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

There have been several super spreader events. This one may have been the first sizable one that unknowingly sent the China virus all over the country and perhaps to other parts of the world. A Festival for Black Skiers in Idaho Became a Coronavirus Nightmare - WSJ

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

Op, It appears that you may have answered your own question. It is highly likely a large group like was in Sturgis probably did spread the virus but we don’t really have anyway to track such a large diverse group like was at this motorcycle rally.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Looking at data and maps of coronavirus activity (New York Times does a good job of showing it), it sure appears that it was a superspreader. North and South Dakota are among the hottest of the hot spots, along with most neighboring states. The entire upper midwest is in trouble.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:07 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:

Who cares? Not worried about it. You can’t hide from a virus! Europe is finding that out! Everyone that hid in their homes for months are now getting it, but hospitalizations and death rates are low. We know a lot more about Covid now and have several options to treat it.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
I own a red hat that is popular around here. However, The Washington Post is dependable with facts, as is The New York Times, Reuters, AP wire, and The Guardian. Their opinion writers all have opinions frequently contrary to mine, but they are considered by most to be responsible with valid information. They are all decidedly slanted left.
I agree with you. If I know a paper’s slant, I can take that into account where necessary, but I think it’s irrational to watch or read news sources that are deliberately spreading falsehood that is causing us to hate each other or that is wrong (and by that I mean news sources from both the right and the left). I may not agree with the slant of the New York Times, but they DO gather facts and try to be accurate within the slant. And of course lots of articles are not slanted. If the Times posts corrections, good! If they make a mistake, they correct it and let us know. If they refuse to follow the “party line” from Washington, good! That’s what we should all do, isn’t it? But they work very hard to avoid making factual errors. I read it online every day, though there are some columnists I avoid and some articles I skip.

Here’s an article from yesterday’s Times about companies that pretend to be newspapers but aren’t really. If, say, you own a company, you can pay these “newspapers” $20 or so, and the next day some writer will call you, ask you the questions you want, then quickly write an article that gives ONLY your point of view on something and praises your leadership. I call that public relations of a dishonest kind, not journalism, yet many readers don’t realize that these “newspapers” are phoney. It seems to me that an article like the one below does all Americans a service. I would be concerned about anyone who would refuse to read it because it is in The Times.
As Local News Dies, a Pay-for-Play Network Rises in Its Place - The New York Times
Closed Thread

Tags
sturgis, motorcycle, rally, superspreader, event

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.