Columbus Day in Virginia

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2020, 08:15 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Default Columbus Day in Virginia

As of this past week we no longer celebrate Columbus Day in Virginia. BUT it will still remain a state PAID holiday. Why? Why be paid not to work in the middle of October?

Now Indigenous People's Day....
Old 10-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
As of this past week we no longer celebrate Columbus Day in Virginia. BUT it will still remain a state PAID holiday. Why? Why be paid not to work in the middle of October?

Because THIS country ways are changing all around us faster then we can understand it..
Old 10-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 792 Posts

it's never easy to take something away from people...I'd guess that Columbus Day was one of the designated holidays in the union contract with state employees
Old 10-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,457 Posts

Quote:

Poor Chris.

The govt of Va is getting more and more ridiculous.

Still amazed the current governor survived his scandals especially being photographed in blackface..
Old 10-11-2020, 11:47 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 1,383 Times in 525 Posts

I remember two February holidays; we celebrated Abraham Lincoln's birthday and George Washington's birthday. Now it is President's Day. Also November 11 was once Armistice Day; it became Veteran's Day.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-11-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:

To ask them to give up something, a paid holiday, to show support for indians is asking too much.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:25 AM

Paid holidays are part of negotiated labor contracts. It takes another negotiation to remove same. Covered workers are generally reluctant to lose a "benefit" regardless of the reason.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:42 AM

I am thankful for Columbus for ensuring that western Europeans were the ones to civilize this great continent as opposed to the Chinese or Arabs. The idea that a vast landmass with unlimited natural resources would go undiscovered and exploited is utter fantasy. History is proof of that.

And I wonder if the Indigenous Day also honors the Aztecs who practiced cannibalism and human sacrifices on a mass scale. Or the Comanche and other Indian tribes who committed the most horrific torture practices on fellow natives that no westerner could ever conceive of.

We should be very thankful that the United States has been the most influential country in the advancement of human rights and freedoms that history has ever known and was critical in ending the scourges of Nazi Germany and communism. Of course our ancestors were not perfect but we have created a country that billions of people of all races today want to leave their place of birth to resettle here.

I hate to imagine a world without the USA. Thank you Columbus.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:58 AM

I had a house in Virginia years ago. I guess they no longer celebrate Lee Jackson King day.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoosman View Post
I had a house in Virginia years ago. I guess they no longer celebrate Lee Jackson King day.
Not a chance anymore. VA has been taken over by comeheres that proceeded to change it to what they want. They are offended by everything.

But it is getting time for the working person, that is without government benefits, to be rewarded. The government should pay EVERYBODY their days wage not to work for their man made holidays.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoosman View Post
It is now just a day on the calendar
Old 10-12-2020, 08:19 AM
Platinum member

There are alternatives:

National Savings Day
National Vermont Day
National Freethought Day
National Farmer’s Day
National Gumbo Day
National Online Bank Day
National Kick Butt Day

I'm going with Gumbo
Old 10-12-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Unions nationwide get this
Old 10-12-2020, 09:28 AM

Indigenous people's day ..... what are we coming to ???? Is it guilty conscience? Or hating Columbus for his treatment of those "indigenous people" who, by the way, weren't what we consider American Indians. Actually, it was Leif Ericcson who supposedly was the first European to step foot on the North American continent.
Today's contemporaries hate Columbus for enslaving the Caribbean natives, but back then, it was an acceptable practice to conquer and enslave.....a practice since time immemorial. It wasn't until the Industrial Revolution that slavery became an undesirable practice. They weren't needed, since machines were more efficient.
Honor Christopher Columbus for his courage in sailing into the unknown in order to find more trade routes to the Orient. He had no idea what was ahead, but faced danger and hardships in his quest.
Washington's birthday used to be a holiday.....now it's President's day.
Easter is for candy and the Easter Bunny....not celebrated for the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Christmas is for shopping....not for the birth of Christ.
Pretty soon, the 4th of July will be whitewashed for something else.
It's all about changing and obliterating our history.....we need to "cleanse the minds" of the younger generation in order to bring about the new enslavement of mankind.
Wake up !!! Teach your children and grandchildren what really happened for us to become a great nation. No guilt.....no shame..... but pride and respect for those who came before us.

Last edited by Joe C.; 10-12-2020 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-2020, 10:19 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 1,383 Times in 525 Posts

Happy Columbus Day everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving Day to the Canadians.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
day, columbus, paid, virginia, october

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.