Columbus Day in Virginia

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Indigenous people's day ..... what are we coming to ???? Is it guilty conscience? Or hating Columbus for his treatment of those "indigenous people" who, by the way, weren't what we consider American Indians. Actually, it was Leif Ericcson who supposedly was the first European to step foot on the North American continent.
Today's contemporaries hate Columbus for enslaving the Caribbean natives, but back then, it was an acceptable practice to conquer and enslave.....a practice since time immemorial. It wasn't until the Industrial Revolution that slavery became an undesirable practice. They weren't needed, since machines were more efficient.
Honor Christopher Columbus for his courage in sailing into the unknown in order to find more trade routes to the Orient. He had no idea what was ahead, but faced danger and hardships in his quest.
Washington's birthday used to be a holiday.....now it's President's day.
Easter is for candy and the Easter Bunny....not celebrated for the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Christmas is for shopping....not for the birth of Christ.
Pretty soon, the 4th of July will be whitewashed for something else.
It's all about changing and obliterating or history.....we need to "cleanse the minds" of the younger generation in order to bring about the new enslavement of mankind.
Wake up !!! Teach your children and grandchildren what really happened for us to become a great nation. No guilt.....no shame..... but pride and respect for those who came before us.
Schools are not really teaching our history anymore but when they do they revise everything to paint us in a bad light.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Indigenous people's day ..... what are we coming to ???? Is it guilty conscience? Or hating Columbus for his treatment of those "indigenous people" who, by the way, weren't what we consider American Indians. Actually, it was Leif Ericcson who supposedly was the first European to step foot on the North American continent.
Today's contemporaries hate Columbus for enslaving the Caribbean natives, but back then, it was an acceptable practice to conquer and enslave.....a practice since time immemorial. It wasn't until the Industrial Revolution that slavery became an undesirable practice. They weren't needed, since machines were more efficient.
Honor Christopher Columbus for his courage in sailing into the unknown in order to find more trade routes to the Orient. He had no idea what was ahead, but faced danger and hardships in his quest.
Easter is for candy and the Easter Bunny....not celebrated for the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
It's all about changing and obliterating or history.....we need to "cleanse the minds" of the younger generation in order to bring about the new enslavement of mankind.
Wake up !!! Teach your children and grandchildren what really happened for us to become a great nation. No guilt.....no shame..... but pride and respect for those who came before us.
Jesus Christ was not born at Christmas time it was a convenient time taken from Paganism.

How Christmas Was Stolen From The Pagans
How Christmas Was Stolen From The Pagans - UNILAD
Old 10-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
To clarify, Washington's Birthday is still a Federal holiday.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Probably even more difficult and risky than going to Mars today.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To clarify, Washington's Birthday is still a Federal holiday.
When I lived in and around D.C. from 1965-1970 the biggest retail sales of the year were held on GW's birthday. These predated Black Friday sales by many years.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-12-2020, 01:07 PM

As a Federal employee, we all looked forward to a 3 day weekend. It’s a US Federal holiday.

Last edited by JC and John; 10-12-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
As of this past week we no longer celebrate Columbus Day in Virginia. BUT it will still remain a state PAID holiday. Why? Why be paid not to work in the middle of October?

Now Indigenous People's Day....
But it’s not just Virginia. The university where I taught in Pennsylvania got rid of Columbus Day five or six years ago. I think a lot of states that used to have Columbus Day Have gotten rid of it.

From Wikipedia: “Actual observance varies in different parts of the United States, ranging from large-scale parades and events to complete non-observance. Most states do not celebrate Columbus Day as an official state holiday.Some mark it as a "Day of Observance" or "Recognition.” Most states that celebrate Columbus Day will close state services, while others operate as normal.”

Columbus Day is more vigorously observed in areas with a lot of descendants of Italian immigrants, but even they are less interested these days. There are large parts of the U.S. where Italian-Americans are uncommon.

I think Columbus was a horrible person, a butcher, whose actions led to partial genocide, but I also revere him for his role in the discovery and conquest of the Americas, both north and south, and the islands nearby.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
To ask them to give up something, a paid holiday, to show support for indians is asking too much.
John, Indigenous people of American have not been call Indians for a very , very , long time. Also your sentence make no sense.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I remember two February holidays; we celebrated Abraham Lincoln's birthday and George Washington's birthday. Now it is President's Day. Also November 11 was once Armistice Day; it became Veteran's Day.
Some states and local governments have combined Washington and Lincoln's birthdays into one holiday and named it Presidents Day. But, the Federal Government has always had only one holiday in February, Washington's Birthday. There is no Federal holiday for President's day or for Lincoln's birthday.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry8bal View Post
I'm shocked at your post. My God, this wonderful country was founded on that day and if you don't like it, you should move to another country. People like you are what's wrong with this country. No patriotism at all. Shameful!!!!
So, when the Italian, C. Columbus, sailed for Ferdinand and Isabella and landed in what is now the Bahamas in 1492, claiming the land for Spain, the USA was founded? I have wrongly attributed said founding to the signers of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:38 PM

My summer home is in Virginia. The state has made massive changes that have made the Commonwealth a great place to live!

This year we were able to vote in person early. We could have voted by mail. The elections run smoothly. We don't have hanging chads. We don't have legislators acting to disenfranchise citizens that the vast majority of Floridians supported. Whenever a legislator or court moves to disenfranchise anyone, it is a disservice to all of us. We all live here. We all deserve to vote. I thank the legislature of Virginia for moving in the direction of allowing more people to vote. I keep thinking of those new democracies in Africa where citizens line up for hours for the right to vote and then proudly show their thumb which was dipped in ink to show they did vote.

As for Indiginous People's Day, it is a holiday! The Canadians call the original people of this continent, First People's. I think it is a marvelous name!

Instead of rebuking all change, why not accept the fact that nothing in this world is constant...but change? It is how we create a more perfect union, a better place to live.

When I went to grad school in Washington, DC, it was apparent that the laws of Virginia were from the 17th century and had not changed much. Now, the state is moving to the 21st Century with broad support of its citizenry. I am now proud to live here.

By the way, most all of our holidays have changed so that they fall on a Monday or Friday. That was done to allow us to spend more money on holiday or just to go shopping. In reading this thread, I didn't hear too much grumbling about the day changes. So what gives?
Old 10-12-2020, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpalladino View Post
John, Indigenous people of American have not been call Indians for a very , very , long time. Also your sentence make no sense.
In New Mexico many if not most in conversation still identify themselves as Indians, or at least the hundreds if not thousands I have known, encountered and/or done business with over the last 70 years do. I usually refer to them as American Indians as I find the term "Aboriginal" repugnant and Native American misdescriptive. Moreover their ancestors migrated from Asia and may not have been the first group of humans to immigrate so they may have displaced earlier immigrants. Humans did not evolve on this continent. IMHO a person is native to where he is born.

" 'Indigenous peoples' is a collective name for the original peoples of North America and their descendants. Often, 'Aboriginal peoples' is also used. The Canadian Constitution recognizes three groups of Aboriginal peoples: Indians (more commonly referred to as First Nations), Inuit and Métis.Dec 4, 2017"

Indigenous peoples and communities

Mexicans I know still refer to American Indians as "Indios" - and not disrespectfully so. Urban Dictionary: Indio

"American Indian or Native Americans?

The name Indian was given to the native people of America by the explorer, Christopher Columbus. Each tribe probably had a name for itself, but did not have a name for themselves as a race of people.
Today several names are used to refer to the native peoples of America, including Indians, American Indians, Native Americans, native people, First People, Amerinds, and Amerindians. The first names are used generally, and the last two are used academically.
Most tribes tend to refer to themselves by tribal affiliation: Seminole, Miccosukee, etc., and not as a whole race of people.
In this workbook, the early people of Florida will be referred to as “native people” or “Indian people.” Many tribes died out before America became America, so the term “American Indian” is not always appropriate."

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/wp...Guide-Full.pdf

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-12-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
My summer home is in Virginia. The state has made massive changes that have made the Commonwealth a great place to live!

This year we were able to vote in person early. We could have voted by mail. The elections run smoothly. We don't have hanging chads. We don't have legislators acting to disenfranchise citizens that the vast majority of Floridians supported. Whenever a legislator or court moves to disenfranchise anyone, it is a disservice to all of us. We all live here. We all deserve to vote. I thank the legislature of Virginia for moving in the direction of allowing more people to vote. I keep thinking of those new democracies in Africa where citizens line up for hours for the right to vote and then proudly show their thumb which was dipped in ink to show they did vote.

As for Indiginous People's Day, it is a holiday! The Canadians call the original people of this continent, First People's. I think it is a marvelous name!

Instead of rebuking all change, why not accept the fact that nothing in this world is constant...but change? It is how we create a more perfect union, a better place to live.

When I went to grad school in Washington, DC, it was apparent that the laws of Virginia were from the 17th century and had not changed much. Now, the state is moving to the 21st Century with broad support of its citizenry. I am now proud to live here.

By the way, most all of our holidays have changed so that they fall on a Monday or Friday. That was done to allow us to spend more money on holiday or just to go shopping. In reading this thread, I didn't hear too much grumbling about the day changes. So what gives?
We just moved here after spending 30 years in Va and yes the state has changed.

It went from a red state to a blue one as there has been a massive influx of new residents in N Virginia that has changed the state to one we barely recognize today.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We just moved here after spending 30 years in Va and yes the state has changed.

It went from a red state to a blue one as there has been a massive influx of new residents in N Virginia that has changed the state to one we barely recognize today.
One of my maternal uncles worked at Ft. Eustis and lived in Newport News and Hampton, VA from the 1940s until the 1990s. An aunt lived in Roanoke. I lived in Alexandria in the late 1960s and loved it but VA has gone down the tubes. The urban Northern Neck runs the whole state (not unlike TV running otherwise rural Sumter County). The remainder of the state is not happy about it, either.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpalladino View Post
You’d better let the Bureau of Indian Affairs know that. See bia dot gov
Closed Thread

Tags
day, columbus, paid, virginia, october

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.