COVID and the CONTINUAL Mixed "EXPERT" messages = SO IRRITATING!

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2021, 10:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default COVID and the CONTINUAL Mixed "EXPERT" messages = SO IRRITATING!

We are SO DONE with the continual (for well over one year now) mis-information / misleading / no information / changing information from the so-called "EXPERTS".

We are both fully vaccinated, and will follow the so-called "rules".. but HAVE HAD IT with 'expert leadership' messages and commucations to us>

front-page artcle on USA Today>

Is herd immunity to COVID-19 possible? Experts increasingly say no.

For almost a year, Americans have been looking forward to herd immunity, when enough people are protected through vaccination or past infection to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Once there, public officials have said, masks won't be necessary and hugging and handshakes – not to mention gyms, bars and indoor dining – can return.

But even as more than half of Americans have received at least one dose of vaccine and many others are protected by recent infections, health experts are moving away from the idea of reaching some magic number.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease doctor, doesn't want to talk about herd immunity anymore.

“Rather than concentrating on an elusive number, let's get as many people vaccinated as quickly as we possibly can,” he said at a White House briefing last week, a sentiment he's since repeated.

Herd immunity in US likely impossible, but vaccines can control COVID
Old 04-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

It does seem like we’re shooting at a moving target. However, my impression is that the experts are communicating the best information they have at that moment in time. I also think they are doing the best they can as the information becomes available. If we are frustrated, I can imagine how the experts feel.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
We are SO DONE with the continual (for well over one year now) mis-information / misleading / no information / changing information from the so-called "EXPERTS".

We are both fully vaccinated, and will follow the so-called "rules".. but HAVE HAD IT with 'expert leadership' messages and commucations to us>

front-page artcle on USA Today>

Is herd immunity to COVID-19 possible? Experts increasingly say no.

For almost a year, Americans have been looking forward to herd immunity, when enough people are protected through vaccination or past infection to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Once there, public officials have said, masks won't be necessary and hugging and handshakes – not to mention gyms, bars and indoor dining – can return.

But even as more than half of Americans have received at least one dose of vaccine and many others are protected by recent infections, health experts are moving away from the idea of reaching some magic number.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease doctor, doesn't want to talk about herd immunity anymore.

“Rather than concentrating on an elusive number, let's get as many people vaccinated as quickly as we possibly can,” he said at a White House briefing last week, a sentiment he's since repeated.

Herd immunity in US likely impossible, but vaccines can control COVID
I read your link differently.

It seems to be an article pointing out the negative results because of so many individuals and groups
who say the will not get the vaccine.

With a few variations, the message has been consistent, and the message we have been given is to get the vaccine, yet so many, for whatever reason, have said they will not.

Thus, because of American citizens deciding to turn their back on immunization, “herd immunity” appears to be a dream.

Those deriding continuing restriction now have a way out, if you will (promote immunization). Not taking advantage will penalize us all.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I read your link differently.

It seems to be an article pointing out the negative results because of so many individuals and groups
who say the will not get the vaccine.

With a few variations, the message has been consistent, and the message we have been given is to get the vaccine, yet so many, for whatever reason, have said they will not.

Thus, because of American citizens deciding to turn their back on immunization, “herd immunity” appears to be a dream.

Those deriding continuing restriction now have a way out, if you will (promote immunization). Not taking advantage will penalize us all.
If you've had your vaccinations and believe you are protected, why worry anymore if that person or that person may not have been vaccinated? Throw your mask away and enjoy life. Or are you not totally sold on the vaccinations actually working?
Old 04-20-2021, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
If you've had your vaccinations and believe you are protected, why worry anymore if that person or that person may not have been vaccinated? Throw your mask away and enjoy life. Or are you not totally sold on the vaccinations actually working?
What I do is certainly my business.

I simply replied to what I consider a mischaracterization of an article linked.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Just cause you got vaccinated don’t mean you can’t get Covid or pass it on. It just means most likely you won’t become deathly ill from it if you are in the 95%. Now some of us just may be in 5% category. I choose to follow guidelines.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Perhaps you could just use some common sense in addressing this disease as you would any other communicable disease like the flu or a cold. It works just as well.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
It does seem like we’re shooting at a moving target. However, my impression is that the experts are communicating the best information they have at that moment in time. I also think they are doing the best they can as the information becomes available. If we are frustrated, I can imagine how the experts feel.
WELL SAID. People are looking for information not available to ANYONE. It takes more time to truly assess what has happened and what will happen. There is sometimes NO answers to questions.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

The virus is not logical, it takes advantage of mistakes we make.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Just cause you got vaccinated don’t mean you can’t get Covid or pass it on. It just means most likely you won’t become deathly ill from it if you are in the 95%. Now some of us just may be in 5% category. I choose to follow guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Tell that to members of our leadership in DC, who mock those who follow guidance.
When is this absurd rumor/myth going to end????

According to the CDC----the COVID infection rate among those fully vaccinated is 0.008%. Actually, the CDC reports 5,814 breakthrough cases out of 85 million vaccinated, which by math is 0.00694%

"Last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 5,814 breakthrough cases out of more than 85 million people fully vaccinated in the U.S. Public health experts said those numbers show how well the vaccine protects you"

Translation: Only 1 in 13,000 people who were fully vaccinated got COVID, and probably fewer than that could "pass it on"

Get it now?????

Personally, I was surprised since I thought it would be closer to 5%, but apparently the vaccine is conferring more immunity than originally thought.

So please people, stop posting that you can still get and pass on COVID if you are vaccinated. (Yes, Yes 0.008% is not zero, as some members of the American Association of Amateur Physicians with Google have pointed out in other threads)
Old 04-20-2021, 06:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post

The REASON I posted this was due to the (well over one year) CONTINUAL changes for COVID advice, guidance, regulations etc from Fauci & CDC among other "experts".

No masks needed, wear a mask, wear two masks. now ???
Disinfect all surfaces and anything brought into the house, now???
Social Distance of 6 feet, 3 feet., now???
Stay HOME!, now???
Quarantine., now???
Tests are very important, now?
Do not enter other's homes, even family members, now???
Do not travel, now???
Do not go to a church with more than xxx parishioners, now???
Schools should not open - must have distant learning., now???

but - the main topic - WHEN is "Herd Immunity" accomplished? Went from 'no idea' to months ago, 60-70%, then 70-80%, then 80-90%. Now... never???

And, for 'normal folks, who may not trust the vaccine - what incentive may they have to change their mind? Still, mask up, social distance, and no impact to 'herd imunity' for the country...
Old 04-20-2021, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
When is this absurd rumor/myth going to end????

According to the CDC----the COVID infection rate among those fully vaccinated is 0.008%. Actually, the CDC reports 5,814 breakthrough cases out of 85 million vaccinated, which by math is 0.00694%

"Last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 5,814 breakthrough cases out of more than 85 million people fully vaccinated in the U.S. Public health experts said those numbers show how well the vaccine protects you"

Translation: Only 1 in 13,000 people who were fully vaccinated got COVID, and probably fewer than that could "pass it on"

Get it now?????

Personally, I was surprised since I thought it would be closer to 5%, but apparently the vaccine is conferring more immunity than originally thought.

So please people, stop posting that you can still get and pass on COVID if you are vaccinated. (Yes, Yes 0.008% is not zero, as some members of the American Association of Amateur Physicians with Google have pointed out in other threads)
But, you can STILL pass it on, so as long I don’t die I don’t care attitude.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
But, you can STILL pass it on, so as long I don’t die I don’t care attitude.
Sure you can-----somewhat less than 1 in 13,000.

For comparison, the odds of finding a 4 leaf clover are 1 in 10,000 and according to NASA the odds of being hit by a meteorite are 1 in 3,000.

But yes, once again, none of those are zero
Old 04-21-2021, 05:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Common sense

Some people have none of the above, so they have to be led by the nose whether it's a green light red light on the street corner or someone on TV telling them to wear masks. It's common sense to continue to wear your mask. It's common sense to take the vaccine if it's available to you even if only 5% of 5% of 5% can still get infected or pass it on to somebody else wouldn't be there the right thing to keep wearing a mask so you don't get infect someone else or get it from someone else. Why do these things bother you so much. Just relax and enjoy life as best as you can. It doesn't matter who's in charge, I believe both sides are trying to do their best as far as this horrible disease goes. I don't blame anybody and I don't give anyone credit for dealing anything better than the next guy because life just happens. Unfortunately people are dead and it has ruined a lot of people's livelihoods but my neighbors certainly didn't do anything bad and my family didn't do anything bad. Just continue to have faith wear a mask is probably another year or two or more and be thankful you're not in a hospital suffering. Like I said common sense and if you don't like what they're saying turn off the darn TV and stop reading those internet comments
Old 04-21-2021, 05:40 AM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Unless we are blind, we have seen most of the experts n big shots not following their own guidelines and recommendations. What does that tell you?
Closed Thread

Tags
experts, herd, immunity, protected, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.