Covid Vaccine Distribution

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2020, 05:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts
Default Covid Vaccine Distribution

I agree with first responders and medical personnel being first to get the vaccine.
The indication is now for the elderly to be second in line. I firmly disagree.
If you are retired, you have the ability to stay in quarantine. Give the vaccine to those out in the public so they can work and continue to feed their families, pay the bills etc.. They also will help stop the spread when they become immune.
I’m in the elderly group and have a medical condition that makes me in the high death risk group. That said, we have millions of workers in need of the vaccine to save their homes and families.
We older retirees should be last..... Before you ask, YES, I will be happy to give my place in the vaccination line to a working person.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Unlikely anyone will change behavior at this point. The immediate goal is to reduce hospitalizations which is much more likely in the elderly.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

doubtful that the folks that horde the toilet paper are gonna step aside...
Old 12-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
doubtful that the folks that horde the toilet paper are gonna step aside...
When they ask me to get my vaccine I'll gladly suggest they give my shot to the woman at the supermarket check-out who is supporting two kids with her husband, who also works retail.

Or the teacher in the Charter school who brings her own kids into the store, all wearing masks, every week after school lets out that day for their weekly shopping.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Bringing the death rate down is important,thus the elderly and vulnerable first
Old 12-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

NYC firefighters who have seen what COVID does were just surveyed about wanting the vaccine. More than half would refuse it at this time wanting more information. While caution is always a consideration I am shocked that 55% would refuse the shots.

Wherever they are getting information needs to be doing a better job of explaining vaccines and how intensively the ones coming on line have been evaluated for short term risk vs benefit. This, like everything else in America, is going to get political. The "don't trust the government" groups are going to refuse to get shots, to mask, to social isolate and listen to people who ACTUALLY know what they are talking about, not conspiracy mongers and bald faced liars.

Quote:
Skepticism about the vaccine also runs high among FDNY EMS members.

“A few are anxious to get it, but there have been a few dozen (online) responses saying, ‘Thanks, but no thanks,' ” Oren Barzilay, president of the Uniformed EMTs, Paramedics and Fire Inspectors union, told the Post. “They were thankful it was not mandatory, because they don’t want to be looked at as test subjects.”

Barzilay added that he would be waiting to see about what independent studies reveal concerning possible side effects before taking the vaccine.

One veteran FDNY member told the Post that the resistance toward the vaccine is a source of frustration.

“The 55 percent doesn’t surprise me. They’re called the Bravest, not the Smartest,” the FDNY member said.
Independent studies may be well over a year away, probably longer. Vaccine efficacy data is collected almost exclusively by the CDC, and if you don't trust the government and believe the CDC is a scam, then you'll never have a source you believe. There have been nearly 100,000 people in the three vaccine trials that have been reported and no serious side effects have been found.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Most vulnerable is a reasonable plan.
Has more immediate impact on medical capabilities/supplies/resources with a positive impact on the death rate.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Sage

Having gotten that off my chest, I'd like to correct OP as to the order recommended by the ACIP to receive vaccines.

First: Health Care Workers and residents of Long term care facilities This is called the 1a group
Health care workers includes:
• Hospitals
• Long-term care facilities
• Outpatient clinics
• Home health care
• Pharmacies
• Emergency medical services
• Public health

Long term care residents includes:
Skilled nursing facilities (~1.3 M beds)
• Assisted living facilities (~0.8 M beds)
• Other residential care (~0.9 M beds)

Next is the 1b group:

Phase 1b
Essential workers
(examples: Education Sector, Food & Agriculture, Utilities,
Police, Firefighters, Corrections Officers, Transportation)

Then the next group
Phase1c
Adults with high -risk medical conditions
Adults 65+

If this recommendation is finalized then well elderly are in the third group. The 1a group is estimated to require 48 million doses [24 million people]. The linked report does not list the number of doses needed for the 1b group. Neither vaccine is yet approved but there will be some decision in the next two weeks. Production is already underway as is some effort at distribution to have vaccine nearer to the target recipients. Pfizer has recently announced that it is having problems producing the number of doses it thought it could make. States have been told to expect far fewer doses than they initially were expected to receive.

Don't expect any vaccine to be available to the well senior group until early spring if the ACIP sticks to its initial thoughts. It might be even later.

Get your flu shot if you haven't. So far it has been a mild flu season likely to some extent as a result of the masking and distancing being used by some people for Covid control.

Last edited by blueash; 12-07-2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I used a singular verb and a plural subject which needed to be corrected.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:35 AM

I agree with first responders and medical personnel being first to get the vaccine.

Are you sure, making them the guinea pigs?

Maybe there is another category of individuals who are more "deserving".
Old 12-07-2020, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
If you are retired, you have the ability to stay in quarantine. Give the vaccine to those out in the public so they can work and continue to feed their families, pay the bills etc.. They also will help stop the spread when they become immune.
I’m in the elderly group and have a medical condition that makes me in the high death risk group. That said, we have millions of workers in need of the vaccine to save their homes and families.
We older retirees should be last..... Before you ask, YES, I will be happy to give my place in the vaccination line to a working person.
When should is used in a sentence it is a sign of a personal value system.

It is a very laudable thing to do, and I applaud the reasoning.

I don't know how it will work out, but I plan to take the offer when the invitation is extended to me. They chose the elderly because a higher percentage get very sick and die. I don't know if you are "elderly", the name rankles me. lol. but I know that taking the shot takes you off the possibility list of getting and giving that ornery virus. I also know that you probably have descendants who care deeply after your safety, and probably want to come and see you and hug you and hold your hands and bring you surprises.

I think most people are trying to do the right thing. I believe that a very small percentage of humans are selfish. I give the honor for the elderly's collective good character to the mothers who raised us and the fathers who applied logic and explanations and love and a lot of serious talking to's. I think my parents would want me to get the shot when it is offered. I know our grandchildren and children want us to take it and will be so relieved when we are immunized.

As I said. Mandates and value systems are useless to change another. I am counting on everyone being responsible and knocking this ******* virus to dead as a doornail.

Get the vaccine. As soon as you can.

Please.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:41 AM

Funny how the bureaucrats are holding up the vaccine here and the Brits start issuing shots tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post

No worries. There is a group with higher priority than 1a. Those are the politicians and their staff members. You can bet that they will all “quietly” be vaccinated before Christmas.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Sage

Quote:

It didn't take long for a posting of this type. The "guinea pigs" were the 100,000 people who volunteered to participate in the vaccine trials. The CDC and the ACIP will not release the vaccine without well done efficacy and safety studies. The studies will not be perfect nor will they be beyond scientific scrutiny and criticism. Risk will be balanced against benefit. Science will be applied and evidence based.

Consensus will be sought and differing opinions will be heard and not suppressed. This is how the system works. Conspiracy theories will get all the respect they deserve. Real evidence backed by real data will be vetted. The earth is round, it goes around the sun and the US really did land on the moon.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I AM SO UPSET BY THIS Post.

Thousands and thousands and thousands of people have been used in the trials. 70,000 sticks in my mind for either Pfizer or Moderna. Trials were stopped twice with issues and they resumed carefully monitored.

READ THE SCIENCE and not the rhetoric and propaganda. Seek the answers from valid sources.

And no one will force anyone to take the shot.

The vaccine to protect us against the brand new Corona Virus called Covid-19 I consider safe and highly effective. (above 90% from two of the three front runners) It has been noted that we may be sore and have a fever and very tired for a few days, but it passes. One vaccine is a series of two, and I worry about a lot of people taking the second one.....knowing people as I do.

I am so relieved that the vaccine has been researched, and checked and tested and is now available. I cannot wait to hold out my upper arm.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:21 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I think the first to get the vaccine will be the next, present and some past presidents on television to boost confidence. I agree frontline workers should be the first, those in nursing homes and medical facilities and then seniors ( prefer that term to elderly which has negative connotations). We will get the vaccine as soon as possible. Overall, I think Villagers have done a good job wearing masks and social distancing, but eager for clubs to resume as normal.
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, line, elderly, give, families

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.