Does anybody now feel like the Villages is a safer place to live?

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2022, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So "lesser" criminal (drug dealers, burglars, assaulters, etc.) should be out on the streets among us???? Personally, I could easily come up with a lot more prison space with a lot less cost. Barracks, triple razor wire fence, machine gun towers, all surrounded by a minefield and a red line with a simple sign "Ye who enter here will die". Some farm implements, some seed, and a "cooler" for all the Steve McQueen wannabees. Simple, effective, and cheap. And I bet the crime rate would plummet as well.
Yes, drug dealers. assaulters, and burglars should NOT be out on the street among us. But, unfortunately, they ARE because the Police only catch a certain % of them. Which is supposed to be a deterrent, and it is. But, maybe social changes would be an equal or better deterrent. As to the remainder of the post.........it seemed to me, to be heavy on the Draconian side.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Our legal system. Assuming the person in INNOCENT. You are offered an, "opportunity," to go to trial and that is VERY expensive and risky-you can, reminder INNOCENT, be found guilty.
You are often offered another, "opportunity," and that is to sign that you are guilty of a lesser crime. Reminder-you are not guilty.
I think the above quote points out a rather serious flaw in our system; i.e. "the best justice money can buy". If you have the bucks and can afford a top-notch lawyer, you have a much better chance of getting away with a lot more than some guy who ends up with a public defender.

This is not to degrade public defenders. They earn their salary and more. But they are often overworked, representing several clients, and just do not have the time or resources to spend on a case that a big-dollar private attorney might have.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:20 PM
TOTV Moderator

Any more snarkiness closes the thread.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Yes, drug dealers. assaulters, and burglars should NOT be out on the street among us. But, unfortunately, they ARE because the Police only catch a certain % of them.
It’s just like fishing in the ponds and lakes in the Villages, “catch and release”. The police catch them and the judicial system throws them back.
Closed Thread

Tags
it’s, streets, wrong, crime, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.