Florida begins Phase 3 re-opening plan immediately

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2020, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,509 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Wishful thinking, most likely from someone who never had economics.
Here's some fun economics for ya. No statistics so you don't even have to do any mathematics.

Restaurants had restricted the number of people allowed in them, per order of the Governor. That was great. Most people still didn't go to the restaurants, which isn't unusual, because most people don't usually go to restaurants every night anyway. If they did, the lines would be halfway to Tennessee.

But many people chose not to go anyway because it just wasn't worth the risk.

Meanwhile - now the governor says "okay you don't have to restrict anymore." Which is fine. Now all the people who WERE going, can go again, without restrictions. Except - all those people who chose not to go anyway because it wasn't worth the risk? They will still not go anyway because it still isn't worth the risk.

AND...

Those people who DID go, because the capacity was limited, and they were willing to take THAT risk? Well - you've just removed that capacity. So they'll be staying at home too, even though they weren't, up until the Governor removed the max cap limit.

Here's where the economics come in:

Originally - everyone went. Business was boomin.
COVID hits - no one goes, businesses are closed for a short period.
Restrictions begin - some people are chomping at the bit and make a bee-line to eat. Some people venture cautiously, the rest stay home anyway.
Restrictions removed - the cautious venturers will now join the ones who stay home.

Business will be SLOWER now - because the people who WERE going BECAUSE of the restrictions - will stop going.

The people who wanted to go while it was restricted, were already going, so this won't be an increase in business.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Sitting too close to someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The problem to me is someone comes to a restaurant, sits too close to someone who unknowing has the virus and it comes to a new person who in turns infects others.
Yep, that is certainly a possibility.. Just like catching a cold from someone sitting next to you in an airplane, a concert or a college football game. "You pays your money and takes your chances".. Just like you do when you get behind the wheel of your car, go to church or cross the street .. Free choice vs voluntary solitary confinement.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblue View Post
Wonderful, so what happens to the virus when the droplets drys, does it immediately disappear? Look at the WHO, I hate to use them as a reference but they do admit the virus can exist outside of droplets, how much is questionable. Nowhere I have found how much exists outside of water droplets. But back to the You Tube videos that show how masks reduce the spread of moisture in a sneeze, yes it does slow or stop the spread of moisture, a very good thing, however how much virus is outside the moisture droplets? Please wear a mask if you must, I do not believe a mask is protecting the wearer of the mask when taking into account all the practical things the average person does a with mask. When you sneeze in a mask droplets go everywhere unless a proper 100% fit, who does that? They are fiddled with, reused over and over, all touched usually with un gloved hands maybe helping to spread the virus. So any good done by stopping some of the virus in droplets in a mask is un-done in how the average person handles a reused mask or a new mask without a proper fit and the constant fiddling with the mask and eventual disposal of a contaminated mask. We seem to agree a vaccine will be a big step to being normal again. Again I am not an anti masker.
I understand your concerns. The virus exits the human body's respiratory system via droplets and/or aerosols. That is the only way the virus exits the human body from the respiratory system (nose and mouth). When those droplets fall to the ground or surfaces, the droplets will dry leaving the virus all by itself. It is up to everyone to wash their hands frequently and sanitize surfaces. IF you can not do these things just remember to NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE. If you do not touch your nose, mouth or eyes with unwashed hands, you are not going to contract the virus. Personally, since this virus came upon us here in the US, I have trained myself to NEVER touch my face unless I use the inside of my shirt or I'm in the shower.

Masks don't block 100% of droplets which come a person's nose or mouth but masks do block more than no mask does. Aerosols which hang in the air, can contain the virus. What happens when the aerosol "dries up"??? I would imagine the virus can not hang in the air by itself but don't take that to the bank. I would imagine if the virus could hang in the air by itself, many more of us in the world would be sick and/or dead.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The "requirement" of masks in Florida has been EXCLUSIVELY up to the business owner. Masks were not required in public, and businesses had, and still has, the right to mandate who can and cannot enter their building.

Most businesses that required masks, still require masks, from what I've seen so far. Now, maybe they have no way of enforcing that requirement, but they can still have the sign on their door saying "Masks required."

If you have any respect for the business, you'll wear the mask in their building if they require it, EVEN if they can't enforce it. If you don't have any respect for it, then ask yourself why you're going there at all.
Agree. Employees of establishments that post a sign "Masks REQUIRED", are essentially held hostage to those people who disregard the required safety measures. People should show respect for the employees who are providing the services for us. Anti-maskers need not enter a building which REQUIRES masks. Go elsewhere.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Here's some fun economics for ya. No statistics so you don't even have to do any mathematics.

Restaurants had restricted the number of people allowed in them, per order of the Governor. That was great. Most people still didn't go to the restaurants, which isn't unusual, because most people don't usually go to restaurants every night anyway. If they did, the lines would be halfway to Tennessee.

Meanwhile - now the governor says "okay you don't have to restrict anymore." Which is fine. Now all the people who WERE going, can go again, without restrictions. Except - all those people who chose not to go anyway because it wasn't worth the risk? They will still not go anyway because it still isn't worth the risk.

AND...

Those people who DID go, because the capacity was limited, and they were willing to take THAT risk? Well - you've just removed that capacity. So they'll be staying at home too, even though they weren't, up until the Governor removed the max cap limit.

Restrictions begin - some people are chomping at the bit and make a bee-line to eat. Some people venture cautiously, the rest stay home anyway.
Restrictions removed - the cautious venturers will now join the ones who stay home.

Business will be SLOWER now - because the people who WERE going BECAUSE of the restrictions - will stop going.

The people who wanted to go while it was restricted, were already going, so this won't be an increase in business.
Thanks, OBB, for putting into words what I have been thinking when the restrictions were lifted. Hubby and I will continue to dine in a restaurant but only if they are still adhering to proper social distancing and all their employees are masked.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I love that song with the line "can't always get what you want...."
Old 09-29-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I understand your concerns. The virus exits the human body's respiratory system via droplets and/or aerosols. That is the only way the virus exits the human body from the respiratory system (nose and mouth). When those droplets fall to the ground or surfaces, the droplets will dry leaving the virus all by itself. It is up to everyone to wash their hands frequently and sanitize surfaces. IF you can not do these things just remember to NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE. If you do not touch your nose, mouth or eyes with unwashed hands, you are not going to contract the virus. Personally, since this virus came upon us here in the US, I have trained myself to NEVER touch my face unless I use the inside of my shirt or I'm in the shower.

Masks don't block 100% of droplets which come a person's nose or mouth but masks do block more than no mask does. Aerosols which hang in the air, can contain the virus. What happens when the aerosol "dries up"??? I would imagine the virus can not hang in the air by itself but don't take that to the bank. I would imagine if the virus could hang in the air by itself, many more of us in the world would be sick and/or dead.
Coffeebean, you seem to have a very good understanding of this virus, as far as I am concerned you are correct, I will say that again as far as I am concerned your post is correct. Masks don’t block 100% of the virus, we just don’t know, maybe 5% maybe 95%. We just don’t know. I cannot argue about that. My contention from the beginning is with everyone wearing masks incorrectly we may be adding to the problem. You sound like you take great care to not touch the mask, good for you. I am talking about the “average person” and a lot of time children who constantly touch and fiddle with the mask, wear it under their nose, re use the mask, placing the used mask in your pocket, purse or on you kitchen counter or keeping it in you car. Just so many ways to spread this stuff with improper mask use. Keep up the good work, wear your mask correctly, don’t reuse the mask, remove, handle and store it correctly. No one wants this flu, but fortunately the chances of getting it is very rare and if indeed we should get it there are treatments.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:

AND...

Run that "if then" through a computer and see what comes out. We used to call that GIGO.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:27 PM

As Barnes said in "Platoon" - everybody gotta die some time, Red.....
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, phase, opening, past, occupancy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.