Florida Now COVID Capital U.S.A

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2021, 11:46 AM
Default Florida Now COVID Capital U.S.A

Florida is recording more COVID-19 cases than any other U.S. state, as hospitalizations in some areas increase at the fastest rate since the start of the pandemic.

The state accounts for one in five new infections in the U.S. and logged 73,181 cases over the past week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Florida had 341 cases per 100,000 people over the past week, second only to Louisiana. The weekly total of new cases reported by Florida jumped more than fourfold between July 1 and July 22, reaching its highest point since mid-January.

Deaths in Florida totaled 319 over the past week, the most among states, with a rate of 1.5 per 100,000 people, the fourth-highest, according to the CDC.

Epidemiologists say various factors are at play: large numbers of unvaccinated people, a relaxation of preventive measures like mask-wearing and social distancing, the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus and the congregation of people indoors during hot summer months.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
Florida is recording more COVID-19 cases than any other U.S. state, as hospitalizations in some areas increase at the fastest rate since the start of the pandemic.

The state accounts for one in five new infections in the U.S. and logged 73,181 cases over the past week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Florida had 341 cases per 100,000 people over the past week, second only to Louisiana. The weekly total of new cases reported by Florida jumped more than fourfold between July 1 and July 22, reaching its highest point since mid-January.

Deaths in Florida totaled 319 over the past week, the most among states, with a rate of 1.5 per 100,000 people, the fourth-highest, according to the CDC.

Epidemiologists say various factors are at play: large numbers of unvaccinated people, a relaxation of preventive measures like mask-wearing and social distancing, the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus and the congregation of people indoors during hot summer months.
We DON’t NEED NO STINKING MASKS. But Respiratory Ventilators work so much better.
Who would have thought this was going to happen?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Here we go again, get out the pop corn. Can't wait to see how many laps around this tree this tread makes it before getting closed.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The single most contributing factor is that almost all new cases are those not vaccinated. The hospitalization and deaths will follow those numbers.

Requiring those who are already protected/vaccinated to mask up and social distance again accomplishes what?
The number not vaccinated isn't going to change significantly.
The number not masking up is not likely to change either.

As long as the decision makers continue dance around of the reality of the un-vaccinated pandemic...it can only get worse.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The single most contributing factor is that almost all new cases are those not vaccinated. The hospitalization and deaths will follow those numbers.

Requiring those who are already protected/vaccinated to mask up and social distance again accomplishes what?

As long as the decision makers continue dance around of the reality of the un-vaccinated pandemic...it can only get worse.
Either it will "just disappear" next April. Or it will surge and mutate, in which case we may be heading into the next world wide depression as the government runs out of money and can't borrow anymore to keep the economy afloat.

Or IF we are really lucky and we are living in a real world and not a make believe world. Doctors will find effective vaccines as fast as the virus mutates. The government will take decisive steps and mandate vaccinations for everyone.

But, that is just my silly opinion. Since the pandemic is actually fake, like we have been told - it probably doesn't matter. We will see soon enough. And our grandkids will pay for our decisions.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

The most comforting fact is that almost all new cases are those not vaccinated. I hold no (little) ill feelings towards the not vaccinated but as one of vaccinated, it is comforting to know I'm unlikely to become hospitalized or ill.

The number of not vaccinated *is* going to change, it will go down. Whether significantly or not is yet to be seen.

I don't know that I want the decision makers to stop dancing. Some are sticking firmly against mask mandates while others are trying to make up their minds. The decision that would negatively impact me is to impose a mandate or lockdown so I'd rather see things where they are now rather than having any of them make that choice.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-26-2021, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Just another day in paradise, right?

This happened - to the surprise of no one with a brain.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:49 PM

Looks like the Darwin Effect will winnow out the unvaccinated - by death, by the loved ones seeing the effects when someone is seriously ill with Covid 19 (and getting vaccinated), or both. The thing about a mutating virus is that only the mutations that are more contagious will propagate significantly. The best hope for the unvaccinated is that a new highly contagious mutation comes along that has a much lower hospitalization/fatality rate.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

*yawn* weird that no one gives a key reason....better, faster, accuracy and more testing...duh!
Old 07-26-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

I keep hearing lately that vaccinated people are being asked to mask up to protect the un-vaccinated. Are they serious? They cannot be serious!!! They expect me to mask up to protect someone who is not willing to protect themselves?

Sorry about those who are not able to get vaccinated because of medical issues but they will just have to protect themselves when out in public.

Again.....asking a vaccinated person to protect the un-vaxxed? NOT HARDLY, IMHO.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
*yawn* weird that no one gives a key reason....better, faster, accuracy and more testing...duh!
A key reason for what, the increased infections? Two key reasons have been given over and over again: the new variant and the number of unvaccinated individuals.

"better, faster, accuracy and more testing" *might* explain an increase in the number of positive tests. What it doesn't explain is a similar increase in the number of hospitalizations.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-26-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I keep hearing lately that vaccinated people are being asked to mask up to protect the un-vaccinated. Are they serious? They cannot be serious!!! They expect me to mask up to protect someone who is not willing to protect themselves?

Sorry about those who are not able to get vaccinated because of medical issues but they will just have to protect themselves when out in public.

Again.....asking a vaccinated person to protect the un-vaxxed? NOT HARDLY, IMHO.
But it's even worse than that. By even considering the vaccinated "mask up" (idiotic term IMHO), they are essentially stating that they do not believe in the effectiveness of the vaccine. If they did, they would state that the vaccinated never need to wear a mask, never need to socially distance, and never need a COVID test. After all, the vaccine should prevent you from getting and transmitting the disease. Yes, yes, there is the CDC stated 0.007% (1 in 13,000) breakthrough rate, but that is miniscule.
And the every other day testing of the MLB teams and the Olympic athletes is ridiculous. Do we test our children for polio, diphtheria, measles, or rubella EVERY OTHER DAY after they get vaccinated? And if we did, what might we find? Do we test adults, even those that work in nursing homes, EVERY OTHER DAY for seasonal influenza after they've been vaccinated? NO, we just give the vaccine and pretty much forget about it
So therefore, I have absolutely no idea what "the powers that be" are thinking

And one more thing----John Rahm. Here is a pro golfer who tested positive about 3-4 months ago, was quarantined, then tested negative and returned to the tour. About 6 weeks ago he was exposed to a "case" of COVID (whether this means a sick person or just another "positive" test, who knows). He got the first dose of the vaccine, was tested every day at the following tournament, and then tested positive again, had to withdraw with a 6 shot lead (about a 2 million dollar loss). He subsequently got the second dose, and after quarantine tested negative. Now, he was tested prior to the Olympics, positive, and can't compete. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? Nothing in my knowledge of virology and epidemiology would suggest that this is even possible----a person who has had BOTH the disease AND fully vaccinated can get the disease again. This suggest there is either something very wrong with the test or with the vaccine. Since almost all the "new" cases are among the unvaccinated, I suspect the test is overly sensitive with a huge false positive rate.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:21 PM

There are 64,600 illegal immigrants entering the country each month since January. The vast majority are unvaccinated. Does the government require these individuals to get the shot or be turned back and out of the country?
Old 07-26-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

I really doubt those who chose not to get the vaccine care if you wear a mask or not. Seriously.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But it's even worse than that. By even considering the vaccinated "mask up" (idiotic term IMHO), they are essentially stating that they do not believe in the effectiveness of the vaccine. If they did, they would state that the vaccinated never need to wear a mask, never need to socially distance, and never need a COVID test. After all, the vaccine should prevent you from getting and transmitting the disease. Yes, yes, there is the CDC stated 0.007% (1 in 13,000) breakthrough rate, but that is miniscule.
And the every other day testing of the MLB teams and the Olympic athletes is ridiculous. Do we test our children for polio, diphtheria, measles, or rubella EVERY OTHER DAY after they get vaccinated? And if we did, what might we find? Do we test adults, even those that work in nursing homes, EVERY OTHER DAY for seasonal influenza after they've been vaccinated? NO, we just give the vaccine and pretty much forget about it
So therefore, I have absolutely no idea what "the powers that be" are thinking

While I don't want to accuse them of thinking, one possibility is they are taking human (American) nature and reality into account.

I was recently in an area with a very large outdoor crowd. The stated policy there, as I believe it is most everywhere, is that unvaccinated people should be wearing masks. I don't have an accurate count but the number of masks I saw were in the dozens with about half being worn anywhere near correctly. Either the vaccination rate in that population was about 98% or the unvaccinated were ignoring the mask policy. My guess is the latter.

*IF* masking makes any difference at all and if you want the unvaccinated to wear masks then the only way to make that happen is to force everyone to wear a mask. Otherwise, experience shows that unvaccinated will take off their masks too.

I don't like it, I don't agree with it, I don't want to have to deal with it, but it might be what the powers that be are "thinking."

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, cases, people, week, past

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.