Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   Forget just being fired (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/forget-just-being-fired-306934/)

Velvet 05-30-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov (Post 1773797)
Interesting to see what final autopsy report says and the results of the investigation.

My guess is, it’ll say whatever is most expedient. Sorry, I’m a bit of a skeptic.

ColdNoMore 05-30-2020 01:38 PM

Decided to start a whole new thread, about the wife of the Minnesota officer charged with murder...filing for divorce.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ivorce-307028/

:popcorn:

manaboutown 05-30-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov (Post 1773565)
Dont hold your breath waiting on an apology. Terrible what the cop did but to destroy in the name of it is just wrong and the looters should be in jail and be fined in accordance with the damage they did.

Black Firefighter Spent His Life Savings to Open a Bar. Then Minneapolis Looters Burned It Down

John_W 05-30-2020 02:22 PM

https://img.theepochtimes.com/assets...a--700x420.jpg

A sports bar, he was achieving his dream by doing something he loved only to have it snatched away by self-serving people who hide behind the guise of a protest. Hopefully he has insurance, but probably didn't own the building. Which, might be a good thing since he'll probably need to relocate somewhere else, that is if he wants to pursue the idea again.

As former business owner myself, operating a restaurant/bar where alcohol is served and tempers can flare, is no easy task. From what I heard, it wasn't that bad an area of town. Too bad they don't destroy the bad areas of the city.

If that's not bad enough, one Federal cop killed and another wounded outside a courthouse in Oakland, CA.

Federal police officer shot dead, another wounded amid Oakland protests

https://media.nbcsandiego.com/2019/0...it=2204%2C1506

Heyitsrick 05-30-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1773764)
Some people are concluding, wrongly, that the ME's determination was final and comprehensive, because some people are reading snippets with missing words - such as the ones in your quote that I bolded, italicized, and underlined.

People are basing their opinions on the falsehood that this PRELIMINARY, INCOMPLETE examination proved that...

1. George Floyd was able to resist AT THE TIME THE VIRAL VIDEO WAS RECORDED...
2. George Floyd was absolutely intoxicated...
3. George Floyd was a threat to the four officers,
4. Chauvin was the only one subduing George Floyd
5. Chauvin did what he was trained to do...
6. Chauvin didn't kill George Floyd
7. Chauvin didn't know Floyd was either dead OR unconscious and therefore incapable of knowing that he was trying to subdue a dead (or unconscious) man.

There are people basing their vilification of George Floyd and vindication of Chauvin on this preliminary, incomplete medical examination.

And there are people hopping on that bandwagon on purpose, spurring it on, encouraging people to vilify Floyd and vindicate Chauvin, because it helps them create the wars, riots, looting, hatred, division, and split from humanity that they are intentionally trying to create.

Who, exactly, are you talking about? People here in this forum? I don't know who's vindicating any of the officers. But it's clear, now, that Floyd did resist arrest - contrary to many of the comments I've seen up until now. And no, before anyone asks, he absolutely didn't deserve to die for that. But it is part of the story, just like all of the other evidence.

As for the Medical Examiner, I'm not sure why he would release any preliminary findings unless he was absolutely sure of that much that he was reporting. To be wrong about those findings would be terrible. If you're not 100% sure about what you're releasing to the public, keep your mouth shut. Since the ME hasn't kept quiet on that front, I'm going to assume (yeah, I know...) he's done his work on that score. Time will tell.

But getting back to your comments, who - specifically - are these people you're speaking of?

graciegirl 05-30-2020 06:40 PM

Hating people because of race is wrong. Hating people because they are law enforcement is wrong. Both are wrong and I won't buy into either of those prejudices.
One person is delighted that the man is having his wife leave him. We are told not to bring up past deeds of one but it is o.k. to do that with the other? We are told not to judge one but it is o.k. to judge the other? No one reading this thread would wish death to anyone. Anyone. Ever. On purpose. Harm to people we don't know and never met.

Or are there some who would?? That is ugly.

ColdNoMore 05-30-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1773979)
Hating people because of race is wrong. Hating people because they are law enforcement is wrong. Both are wrong and I won't buy into either of those prejudices.
One person is delighted that the man is having his wife leave him. We are told not to bring up past deeds of one but it is o.k. to do that with the other? We are told not to judge one but it is o.k. to judge the other? No one reading this thread would wish death to anyone. Anyone. Ever. On purpose. Harm to people we don't know and never met.

Or are there some who would?? That is ugly.

You're obviously referencing me and that's an outright lie that I'm "delighted" she is divorcing him...of which lying is also ugly.

Then again, lying has become quite acceptable with a lot of people in the last few years...and that's the truth. :ohdear:

I simply mention it because there's a possibility we may find out more...as to the murdering cop's intentions.

Then again...we might not.
:ho:

OrangeBlossomBaby 05-31-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyitsrick (Post 1773890)
Who, exactly, are you talking about? People here in this forum? I don't know who's vindicating any of the officers. But it's clear, now, that Floyd did resist arrest - contrary to many of the comments I've seen up until now. And no, before anyone asks, he absolutely didn't deserve to die for that. But it is part of the story, just like all of the other evidence.

As for the Medical Examiner, I'm not sure why he would release any preliminary findings unless he was absolutely sure of that much that he was reporting. To be wrong about those findings would be terrible. If you're not 100% sure about what you're releasing to the public, keep your mouth shut. Since the ME hasn't kept quiet on that front, I'm going to assume (yeah, I know...) he's done his work on that score. Time will tell.

But getting back to your comments, who - specifically - are these people you're speaking of?

I'm talking about the nature of this thread, in general, and the underlying root of the attitudes toward the subject.

The underlying root is the prevalence of conspiracy theory, misdirection, bait and switch, out-and-out lies, innuendos, conveniently missing bits of information, and intentional deflection of the crux of the matter, ALL OVER THE INTERNET that leads otherwise intelligent people to look elsewhere while an injustice is done.

The facts: All kinds of things might have happened before the video tape started at second #1. Floyd might have resisted mightily. That's fine and well, and everyone who thinks this happened is 100% correct. Hypothetically - Floyd was a regular POS who was aggressive and violent and horrible.

NOW LET THAT GO because it has NOTHING to do with the video.

The video shows that this man had ALREADY been subdued. He was unarmed. Not merely "disarmed" - but UNarmed, meaning he had no weapon from the start, according to the police reports. He was already handcuffed. He was already on the ground, face down. He had one cop sitting on his legs. Another on his back. A third on his neck. He was INCAPABLE of resisting anything, at the point this video was taken.

He was helpless.

According to reports he had been complaining all along that he couldn't breath. It was clear in the video that he was, in fact, having trouble breathing.

These ex-police officers refused to let up. Chauvin even kept his knee on the guy's neck AFTER someone checked Floyd's pulse and proclaimed there was no pulse.

He didn't just keep it on his neck - he kept it there for a good couple of minutes.

THESE are the facts that are pertinent to the thread. Not that Floyd resisted arrests some time BEFORE that 10-minute video was shot.

What is pertinent to the thread is everything that occurred DURING the time frame of that video.

Everything else is a distraction away from this, and an attempt to minimize the horrendous, atrocious, monstrous crime that Chauvin committed against George Floyd.

Love2Swim 05-31-2020 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1774085)
I'm talking about the nature of this thread, in general, and the underlying root of the attitudes toward the subject.

The underlying root is the prevalence of conspiracy theory, misdirection, bait and switch, out-and-out lies, innuendos, conveniently missing bits of information, and intentional deflection of the crux of the matter, ALL OVER THE INTERNET that leads otherwise intelligent people to look elsewhere while an injustice is done.

The facts: All kinds of things might have happened before the video tape started at second #1. Floyd might have resisted mightily. That's fine and well, and everyone who thinks this happened is 100% correct. Hypothetically - Floyd was a regular POS who was aggressive and violent and horrible.

The video shows that this man had ALREADY been subdued. He was unarmed. Not merely "disarmed" - but UNarmed, meaning he had no weapon from the start, according to the police reports. He was already handcuffed. He was already on the ground, face down. He had one cop sitting on his legs. Another on his back. A third on his neck. He was INCAPABLE of resisting anything, at the point this video was taken.

He was helpless.

According to reports he had been complaining all along that he couldn't breath. It was clear in the video that he was, in fact, having trouble breathing.

These ex-police officers refused to let up. Chauvin even kept his knee on the guy's neck AFTER someone checked Floyd's pulse and proclaimed there was no pulse.

He didn't just keep it on his neck - he kept it there for a good couple of minutes.

THESE are the facts that are pertinent to the thread. Not that Floyd resisted arrests some time BEFORE that 10-minute video was shot.

What is pertinent to the thread is everything that occurred DURING the time frame of that video.

Everything else is a distraction away from this, and an attempt to minimize the horrendous, atrocious, monstrous crime that Chauvin committed against George Floyd.

Amen.

Heyitsrick 05-31-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1774085)

(snip)

I'm curious where any one individual here can make claim on what's pertinent to the thread and what's a distraction. I'll push back on those kinds of assertions every single time. Threads are conversations that frequently become more broad-based as the discussion moves along.

I went back and reread all of the comments here. I read quite a few diversions from "what's pertinent", like Colin Kaepernick's kneeling, and Chauvin's wife filing for divorce. Yeah, pertinent stuff. I've read comments from people here who label anyone a racist who simply asks to wait and see what an actual investigation and trial turns up. I read where one individual called another an outright liar, and that same individual claimed that we're all (well, except for him, apparently) essentially complicit in Chauvin's act. The frequent retort from this individual is that any comment not toeing his line is merely "obfuscation". Moreover, I'm left with the impression that there are "some" who are hoping that the Medical Examiner's preliminary findings are wrong. Why? How about the truth, whatever that turns out to be?

I'm not here to vindicate any of these officers. From everything I know and have read and seen, at the very least Chauvin has to be tried on manslaughter charges for extremely reckless behavior. If it can be determined that this was a deliberate hate crime, then obviously the charges increase - as they should. My guess is the other officers there will not escape criminal charges.

But this notion that the video is the be all and end all of history surrounding this incident is clearly mistaken. And how do I know that? Because the criminal complaint against Chauvin says as much. It details what took place before the viral video. Nothing happened in a vacuum. And no, that does not in any way vindicate nor exonerate Chauvin. But it tells the story of how this all happened.

Some people couldn't care less, I guess. "It's the video, stupid!" I'd like to know what actually led up to this tragedy. And why could that be important? First, to establish the facts. Second, to train future officers on what to do and what NOT to do in any similar set of circumstances. Third, to the extent possible, to try to ascertain why an officer or officers could be in a law enforcement position if they are clearly not suited for it by their actions, their biases and their own work history.

And you know who else wants to know what happened? A court of law. Chauvin's case isn't only going to entail the video moments. It's going to outline the timeline of what occurred prior to that. The complaint against Chauvin says as much. I read one comment here that suggested that we need a speedy trial because otherwise things might get swept under the rug. I actually want the legal system to work.

Shbullet 05-31-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyitsrick (Post 1774389)
I'm curious where any one individual here can make claim on what's pertinent to the thread and what's a distraction. I'll push back on those kinds of assertions every single time. Threads are conversations that frequently become more broad-based as the discussion moves along.

I went back and reread all of the comments here. I read quite a few diversions from "what's pertinent", like Colin Kaepernick's kneeling, and Chauvin's wife filing for divorce. Yeah, pertinent stuff. I've read comments from people here who label anyone a racist who simply asks to wait and see what an actual investigation and trial turns up. I read where one individual called another an outright liar, and that same individual claimed that we're all (well, except for him, apparently) essentially complicit in Chauvin's act. The frequent retort from this individual is that any comment not toeing his line is merely "obfuscation". Moreover, I'm left with the impression that there are "some" who are hoping that the Medical Examiner's preliminary findings are wrong. Why? How about the truth, whatever that turns out to be?

I'm not here to vindicate any of these officers. From everything I know and have read and seen, at the very least Chauvin has to be tried on manslaughter charges for extremely reckless behavior. If it can be determined that this was a deliberate hate crime, then obviously the charges increase - as they should. My guess is the other officers there will not escape criminal charges.

But this notion that the video is the be all and end all of history surrounding this incident is clearly mistaken. And how do I know that? Because the criminal complaint against Chauvin says as much. It details what took place before the viral video. Nothing happened in a vacuum. And no, that does not in any way vindicate nor exonerate Chauvin. But it tells the story of how this all happened.

Some people couldn't care less, I guess. "It's the video, stupid!" I'd like to know what actually led up to this tragedy. And why could that be important? First, to establish the facts. Second, to train future officers on what to do and what NOT to do in any similar set of circumstances. Third, to the extent possible, to try to ascertain why an officer or officers could be in a law enforcement position if they are clearly not suited for it by their actions, their biases and their own work history.

And you know who else wants to know what happened? A court of law. Chauvin's case isn't only going to entail the video moments. It's going to outline the timeline of what occurred prior to that. The complaint against Chauvin says as much. I read one comment here that suggested that we need a speedy trial because otherwise things might get swept under the rug. I actually want the legal system to work.

Your an extremely smart person, how refreshing to read a post from a person with a limited amount of them. Dont let none of the forum regulars knock you down. Im impressed and refreshed.

Stu from NYC 05-31-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyitsrick (Post 1774389)

Well said