Garth Brooks

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2021, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default Garth Brooks

I feel sorry for Garth, I have the feeling he is going to get a lot of blowback from his maskless hugfest on the podium yesterday. Apparently he didn't get the memo---he thought he was there to sing, but in reality he was expected to be a participant in a day long mask commercial, culminating with Joe and Jill, standing alone on a huge outdoor WH balcony watching the fireworks with their masks on. What a joke! This of course followed an executive order mandating masks on all federal property. Planning on a hike in Yellowstone National Park 20 miles away from another human being? Bring your mask. People who live in Ocala National Forest? Masks 24/7? Closer to home, what part, if any, of the Villages postal stations are considered federal property????
Old 01-21-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Apparently, Jen Psaki, a Federal employee conducting a press conference in a Federal building yesterday must have been granted an exception to the executive order requiring masks? Or, she didn't get the memo either.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-21-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:48 AM
Platinum member

how about we all decide to be more optimistic? Let's stop looking for the negatives.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
how about we all decide to be more optimistic? Let's stop looking for the negatives.
I agree 100%.

OP - yeah, Garth Brooks and his ilk are the real problem here. Pandemics and extreme politics are just a smokescreen. Let's get 'im

Last edited by JohnN; 01-21-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I feel sorry for Garth, I have the feeling he is going to get a lot of blowback from his maskless hugfest on the podium yesterday. Apparently he didn't get the memo---he thought he was there to sing, but in reality he was expected to be a participant in a day long mask commercial, culminating with Joe and Jill, standing alone on a huge outdoor WH balcony watching the fireworks with their masks on. What a joke! This of course followed an executive order mandating masks on all federal property. Planning on a hike in Yellowstone National Park 20 miles away from another human being? Bring your mask. People who live in Ocala National Forest? Masks 24/7? Closer to home, what part, if any, of the Villages postal stations are considered federal property????
So, how did you like the fireworks?
Old 01-21-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
So, how did you like the fireworks?
The fireworks were great. I sat in my living room, alone, watching with a mask on.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:

He's got friends in low places
Old 01-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Joe and Jill, standing alone on a huge outdoor WH balcony watching the fireworks with their masks on. What a joke!
I wish only to comment on that part of your completely non-political posting, calling the behavior of the POTUS and FLOTUS a joke.

I think of their choice to wear a mask as an example. They, like previous Presidents, have the power to influence with their choices. Do you choose to wear a mask when you visit the CDC or Mayo Hospital thus visually signaling in a message stronger than just words that you want others to wear masks? Or do you say that we will get Covid under control sooner if people wear masks but refuse to wear one yourself?
Will Garth get criticism?

Yes
Old 01-21-2021, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I wish only to comment on that part of your completely non-political posting, calling the behavior of the POTUS and FLOTUS a joke.

I think of their choice to wear a mask as an example. They, like previous Presidents, have the power to influence with their choices. Do you choose to wear a mask when you visit the CDC or Mayo Hospital thus visually signaling in a message stronger than just words that you want others to wear masks? Or do you say that we will get Covid under control sooner if people wear masks but refuse to wear one yourself?

Yes
An example of WHAT??? Wearing a mask when it is useless????
On the podium with all those people----absolutely the right thing to do (except garth). How can you equate the balcony alone with visiting a hospital???? I know you know better than that. We will never get COVID under control by relying on masks. Social distancing is the most important. Masks indoors or in outdoor crowds are important. The vaccine is important. But like most pandemics, it will fizzle out in time.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
...starting.......now. yep. OK...
Old 01-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanfl View Post
...starting.......now. Yep. Ok...
11387256640162593163-jpg
Old 01-21-2021, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
On the podium with all those people----absolutely the right thing to do (except garth). How can you equate the balcony alone with visiting a hospital???? I know you know better than that. We will never get COVID under control by relying on masks. Social distancing is the most important. Masks indoors or in outdoor crowds are important. The vaccine is important. But like most pandemics, it will fizzle out in time.
Where have I heard that Covid will fizzle out in time as an excuse for inaction before?

An example of WHAT... an example that getting used to wearing a mask as a part of how you present yourself to others might save a life. It is modeling a behavior. The present occupants of the White House have chosen to model mask wearing as one of the best practices for controlling Covid. The more often they are seen masked the more "normal" mask wearing appears. IMO it is far better that our leaders, AKA example setters, show us good behavior even when it is not medically needed.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
I'm a huge proponent of wearing masks indoors and outdoors in crowds. I do agree with you that it is just silly to wear a mask outdoors when the closest people are not close at all. The balcony scene just looked silly to me. He has done that before. I understand he is trying to get his message across and I really appreciate that but do it so people can understand that if you are no where near anyone in an outdoor space, masks are not necessary.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Camera operators and other people who capture images and sound also need to safe from the Corona Virus. And directors of these scenes as well.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Yes
I think Garth Brooks should have put his mask on when it came time for the hugfest, AND it was heartwarming to see the hugfest. Both of these things were true at the same time.

I ALSO think that the Bidens could have taken the masks off while they were on the balcony, long enough for the press to get good shots/videos of their smiling faces. I would have liked that. But I "get" that they wanted to send a message that they'll walk the talk. Again, both of these things were true at the same time.
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, garth, federal, property, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.