Gas Tax Holiday

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2022, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Question: If someone shuts down the Keystone extension and new drilling permits on January 22, 2021 did anyone except the catastrophic damage would be evident on January 23? If not, the 2021 argument is moot
Are you proposing that someone should have predicted the reaction in the stock market? Is the country now supposed to be run in a way that minimizes the often irrational behavior of the market? It seems like you are proposing a "tail wagging the dog" form of governance.

The 2021 argument is a supply and demand argument. The supply has not decreased but has actually increased. The demand has increased more. These are real, hard facts.

The January 23 argument asks for speculation against potential speculation. Yes, the markets are going to react but in the absence of anything else the supply and demand numbers will prevail. But we didn't have the absence of anything else, we had the war in Ukraine. Now, the markets are reacting to the war in Ukraine and the markets are reacting to the way the markets are reacting. Unfortunately, since the markets set the price of oil and gas, that is causing problems.

And with that, I am out of my comfort zone. Time to sit back and watch those with more background make logical, non-political arguments.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-24-2022, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Are you proposing that someone should have predicted the reaction in the stock market? Is the country now supposed to be run in a way that minimizes the often irrational behavior of the market? It seems like you are proposing a "tail wagging the dog" form of governance.

The 2021 argument is a supply and demand argument. The supply has not decreased but has actually increased. The demand has increased more. These are real, hard facts.

The January 23 argument asks for speculation against potential speculation. Yes, the markets are going to react but in the absence of anything else the supply and demand numbers will prevail. But we didn't have the absence of anything else, we had the war in Ukraine. Now, the markets are reacting to the war in Ukraine and the markets are reacting to the way the markets are reacting. Unfortunately, since the markets set the price of oil and gas, that is causing problems.

And with that, I am out of my comfort zone. Time to sit back and watch those with more background make logical, non-political arguments.
Interesting, but nowhere did I mention the stock market at all. My point is that when you cut supply------yes CUT SUPPLY, eventually, NOT the next day, and demand increases, the price will go up. PERIOD. Futures contracts for commodities go out both short term and long term. The handwriting on the wall is obvious to all but the truly brainwashed, domestic supply will go down as demand increases, so prices will rise. Economics 101. Unfortunately, some of the decision makers are either among the brainwashed or the brain dead.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Interesting, but nowhere did I mention the stock market at all. My point is that when you cut supply------yes CUT SUPPLY, eventually, NOT the next day, and demand increases, the price will go up. PERIOD. Futures contracts for commodities go out both short term and long term. The handwriting on the wall is obvious to all but the truly brainwashed, domestic supply will go down as demand increases, so prices will rise. Economics 101. Unfortunately, some of the decision makers are either among the brainwashed or the brain dead.
Apparently, I made an incorrect assumption. For clarity, what were you referring to when you wrote, "did anyone except the catastrophic damage would be evident on January 23?" If not the market reaction then what exactly was the catastrophic damage that was evident on January 23?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-24-2022, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Apparently, I made an incorrect assumption. For clarity, what were you referring to when you wrote, "did anyone except the catastrophic damage would be evident on January 23?" If not the market reaction then what exactly was the catastrophic damage that was evident on January 23?
The "catastrophic damage" (hyperbole, I admit), referred to future oil prices, future inflation and further dependence on foreign oil. The stock market does what it does, sometimes independent of current economic reality. Sorry I wasn't clear
Old 06-24-2022, 08:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

From what I have read, the Keystone pipeline extension had managed to complete 90 miles out of a total of 1200 miles in over a year. Most estimates, considering legal issues, funding, etc, feel the pipeline extension would have been completed in 3 years - if everything went right.

So, around 2024 we could see some oil flowing through the extension.

Then there is the little matter of the oil coming from their tar pits was to be refined in the US and mostly shipped overseas.

Sounds like a lot of Tucker is being spread here.

I won't provide links, since that seems to insult people here.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Or getting paid to help the oil industry raise the price
Old 06-24-2022, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Or getting paid to help the oil industry raise the price
explanation????
Old 06-24-2022, 01:10 PM

I'm waiting for the $90.00 discount on electric cars also
Old 06-24-2022, 01:18 PM
TOTV Moderator

Thread closed. Refer to post 95.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, tax, holiday, stupid, idea

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.