Mental Health Awareness.

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2022, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default Mental Health Awareness.

Psychiatric News

I see a lot of ignorance and deliberate refusal to even educate oneself about mental illness. Especially with respect to the mass shootings, so far, of 2022.

Hope we can get some worthwhile information on this thread involving critical thinking and access to the best scientific thinking in the various fields that involve mental health.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,788 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Psychiatric News

I see a lot of ignorance and deliberate refusal to even educate oneself about mental illness. Especially with respect to the mass shootings, so far, of 2022.

Hope we can get some worthwhile information on this thread involving critical thinking and access to the best scientific thinking in the various fields that involve mental health.

There is definitely ignorance and a deliberate refusal to provide mental health institutions and care for the mentally impaired. The only thing they can manage to focus on are guns. A man in his fifties stabbed 5 people tubing on the Apple river in Minnesota today and one of them, a 19 year man has died. Think we need to ban knives for this mass attack and a killing?
Old 07-30-2022, 11:02 PM
Sage

That's the problem. I believe 1/4 of all Americans have had problems with some kind of mental illness.

And mental ill people are usually the victims of violence not the perpetrators.

And few of the mass murderers using guns who were caught were found mentally ill as far as I am aware. They were charged with the crimes and not found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Gun violence: Prediction, prevention, and policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
There is definitely ignorance and a deliberate refusal to provide mental health institutions and care for the mentally impaired. The only thing they can manage to focus on are guns. A man in his fifties stabbed 5 people tubing on the Apple river in Minnesota today and one of them, a 19 year man has died. Think we need to ban knives for this mass attack and a killing?
Old 07-30-2022, 11:34 PM

If you want to eliminate the crimes, you need to eliminate the freedoms that allow someone to prepare for and commit the crimes. The cops can stop you whenever they want to. They can search your home whenever they want to. They can imprison you for thinking wrong.
I know most of this will fall upon deaf ears because a lot of you probably want to arrest the people who disagree with you on these forums... tough. We have freedom and we will protect it.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:34 PM

Seriously, wtf is with the double posts?
Old 07-31-2022, 06:52 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Psychiatric News

Your "experts" are the same ones who emptied the asylums of the lunatics in the 70's. And they're the same ones who've put a quarter of the population on anti-depressants instead of helping people face their problems.

There is a big difference between "mental illness" and criminal insanity. "Psychiatric Experts" should do like they did for the 100 years before we starting having mass-murder events -- help normal people face life's problems like adults, and properly diagnose and institutionalize the nuts.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Mental health

Quote:
Psychiatric News

And we are only now starting to pay serious attention to dementia. Spousal abuse among older people, people going ballistic in fast food restaurants and similar cases we read about in The Villages quite likely are the result of early stage dementia. Often undiagnosed, it can cause drastic personality changes. In the United States, around 37 percent of people with Alzheimer’s are 75 to 84 years old. Additionally, around 27 percent of those with Alzheimer’s are aged 65 to 74 years. That's us in The Villages.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
And we are only now starting to pay serious attention to dementia. Spousal abuse among older people, people going ballistic in fast food restaurants and similar cases we read about in The Villages quite likely are the result of early stage dementia. Often undiagnosed, it can cause drastic personality changes. In the United States, around 37 percent of people with Alzheimer’s are 75 to 84 years old. Additionally, around 27 percent of those with Alzheimer’s are aged 65 to 74 years. That's us in The Villages.
Thanks for the useful information.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:50 AM
Sage

Home | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

It looks like it is 1/5 Americans who deal with their own mental illness.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

may i respectfully say that article leaned heavy on politics, which turned me off. i expected to see a medical article, & maybe that's why no one understands the issues of mental illness being recognized, because very little content pertains to statistics & medical criteria. this was a 'hit-piece' on guns disguised as a public safety campaign. look @ the other categories from the page: very hard left leaning, & if we really want to have a decent discussion on mental illness, it needs to be focused on fact as opposed to rhetoric. i'm glad to brought this story to our attention.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:52 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

This is merely political hype from a lobbyist.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-01-2022, 06:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
If you want to eliminate the crimes, you need to eliminate the freedoms that allow someone to prepare for and commit the crimes. The cops can stop you whenever they want to. They can search your home whenever they want to. They can imprison you for thinking wrong.
I know most of this will fall upon deaf ears because a lot of you probably want to arrest the people who disagree with you on these forums... tough. We have freedom and we will protect it.
Interesting post. It seems that often protecting one freedom that is supremely important to us means restricting one of more freedoms for others. Nearly all of us do this, me included. Then we argue over which freedom is more important, often confidently neglecting to mention that some freedoms are less important. To us. At this moment. About this issue. Often it comes down to freedom FROM one or more groups of people (whether or not they are in that group by birth, by choice, by necessity, or by circumstance). Again, I’m guilty. Probably you are, too, wherever you are on the political spectrum. Some are opposed to people groups they almost never see where they live and don’t need to worry about. Many are most opposed to the people who suffer from temptations from which they themselves are immune or who have problems they themselves don’t have.

I admit that I’m happy to live in a place where I’m safe, where beauty surrounds me, where there is easy access to the things I like to do, and where I have essentially no contact with the people who scare me. This leaves me free to pontificate with impunity about those unable to live here. Of course, I live alone, so I have to do it here.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

One problem with linking mental illness to guns is that someone who owns a gun is not going to seek help for a mental illness, if it means that they are going to take away his right to own a gun.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:41 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Legal drugs. For the last few generations we started drugging our kids from a very early age. Then we drug them because they are depressed. And so on it goes.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Not a good argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
You know you are actually making an argument for gun restriction. If the man had a gun instead of a knife, he might have killed all five.
Closed Thread

Tags
mental, health, thinking, fields, worthwhile

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.