Health Department Incompetence + How did the Developer's cronies cut the line?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2021, 12:12 PM

Maybe we need an email campaign to the governor to get Sumter County doses increased and someone to actually prioritize the vaccinations by age, need, etc
Old 01-10-2021, 12:36 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Since you know Dr. Zelnick, perhaps you could ask him to explain why he permitted the Developer's cronies to hop to the front of the vaccination line.
If they wanted to hop to the front of the line they would have not done it publicly. It was done to show that the vaccine was safe as many government leaders did.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedlecky View Post
Maybe we need an email campaign to the governor to get Sumter County doses increased and someone to actually prioritize the vaccinations by age, need, etc
According to the data on the State Dept of Health website, Sumter County is about 37th in the number of people vaccinated. According to population statistics I could find, Sumter County is about the 37th largest county in the State. It would appear that we are getting our share of the vaccine within the State.

The vaccinations are supposed to be prioritized already. Florida prioritization is health care workers first, over 65 second, front-line workers in essential positions third. That is a deviation from the CDC suggestion which put front-line workers before the 75+ group and moved the 65+ group further down the line.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-10-2021, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Are you seriously defending letting the Developer's cronies skip the line instead of giving the vaccine to, for example, health-care workers or cancer patients?
It's not a defense, it was a marketing ploy for the Governor and it made absolutely no difference. They may have brought the vaccine from another county, we don't know anything except what the media decided to feed us. I don't believe that giving us the vaccine before any other person 65+ is justified. Our goal is to go see our grandkids, get to the squares and put our life back to enjoying what we did before. Other countries also have objectives plus significantly higher unemployment so getting those seniors money back in circulation is critical.....different agendas for different places. And one last thing, IF you live here, the Developer and his "cronies" are responsible for your lifestyle and what you enjoy here. IF you live here, I wonder where you would be if the Developer and his "cronies" didn't provide you this place to enjoy. Worried about 5 shots? Start worrying about the millions that are needed in Florida. Sumter population is about 130,000 (the entire county not TV), Orange County is about 1.4 million and is still the 5th most populous behind Miami/Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Hillsboroug....we are 34th and suspect that may factor into our priority level. This is going to be a long haul and we are not any more a priority then anyone else. Every other person, 65+ is on the same playing field as we are, and they are just as anxious as we are, every health care worker, every frontline care giver, every person in an assisted living center are as anxious as we are. If 5 shots or so have you writing letters to the Gov, getting a petition, degrading people that are doing what they can to help then your road might be a longer road. EOR!

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-10-2021, 12:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
If they wanted to hop to the front of the line they would have not done it publicly. It was done to show that the vaccine was safe as many government leaders did.
Why not pick health care workers, cancer patients, or first responders? That little publicity stunt could have cost someone's life.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
It's not a defense, it was a marketing ploy for the Governor and it made absolutely no difference. They may have brought the vaccine from another county, we don't know anything except what the media decided to feed us. I don't believe that giving us the vaccine before any other person 65+ is justified. Our goal is to go see our grandkids, get to the squares and put our life back to enjoying what we did before. Other countries also have objectives plus significantly higher unemployment so getting those seniors money back in circulation is critical.....different agendas for different places. And one last thing, IF you live here, the Developer and his "cronies" are responsible for your lifestyle and what you enjoy here. IF you live here, I wonder where you would be if the Developer and his "cronies" didn't provide you this place to enjoy. Worried about 5 shots? Start worrying about the millions that are needed in Florida. Sumter population is about 130,000 (the entire county not TV), Orange County is about 1.4 million and is still the 5th most populous behind Miami/Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Hillsboroug....we are 34th and suspect that may factor into our priority level. This is going to be a long haul and we are not any more a priority then anyone else. Every other person, 65+ is on the same playing field as we are, and they are just as anxious as we are, every health care worker, every frontline care giver, every person in an assisted living center are as anxious as we are. If 5 shots or so have you writing letters to the Gov, getting a petition, degrading people that are doing what they can to help then your road might be a longer road. EOR!
My letter addressed health department incompetence in distributing the available vaccine, which incompetence (or malfeasance) includes inoculating the Developer's cronies ahead of more-deserving residents.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

I found it extremely frustrating to try to use Eventbrite to schedule an appointment for a Covid Vaccination.
I tried to sign up for an appointment and did it exactly at 8 am today when it opened for the Wildwood location. It had me in a waiting mode for "tickets". Then it said the following:

Sumter County Health Department COVID-19 Vaccination January 11 2021
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM EST
It's your turn!
Please place your order quickly, this event may sell out soon.
9:00AM-10:00AM
Free
10:00AM-11:00AM
Free
11:00AM-12:00PM
Free
It did not show HOW to get the "tickets" to the "event". Then in 5 minutes, it said sold out. I know the method to sign up in Arizona is much easier because my sister and brother in law live there and have gotten their corona vaccines.
Why is this cumbersome and unusual Eventbrite "ticket" and "event" system which is not well designed for signing up for appointments used? Why can't we at least have a sign up sheet to be put on a waiting list to eventually GET an appointment?
My frustration level is OFF THE CHARTS. I don't drink and I had a gin and OJ this morning and I'm still angry about this.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
"It was done to show that the vaccine was safe as many government leaders did."
You have got to be kidding me! ALL the politicians just to help us realize that it was safe --PLEEEZE. They wanted the vaccine and they wanted it right away. They don't have to show us anything. We want the vaccine but WE CAN'T GET IT!!
Old 01-10-2021, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

Below is an e-mail I sent to DeSantis regarding another Corona Vaccine problem:

1) There was a stockpile of coronavirus vaccine in Clermont, Florida as of the late afternoon on Thursday on December 31, 2020. They said they stopped dispensing because of the New Year Holiday but they said the vaccine would be given out at the Clermont Arts and Recreation building as of January 4, 2021 and would continue until they ran out. I was at the Clermont Arts and Recreation center at 8:15 am on Monday January 4th and I was told by and employee in that building that the "shipment of vaccine had not come in and the distribution was cancelled." There should have been no shipment because the vaccine was right there in town as of Thursday evening. I believe the unused vaccine was either inappropriately given to local politicians or friends/family or possibly sold to others who were connected with the persons handling the vaccine because the vaccine that was available for use on the afternoon of Thursday Dec 31 was somehow mysteriously "not available" as had been planned for Monday Jan 4th.
2) When I sent an e-mail to you regarding this I believe it was either hacked or diverted because I received a response back from an identifier which should have been you or your office the identifier was "me,zzzz". Hovering over this responder did not identify any information about who or what they were so I did not open that e-mail, however I still have it and could send it to you if you wish.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
According to the data on the State Dept of Health website, Sumter County is about 37th in the number of people vaccinated. According to population statistics I could find, Sumter County is about the 37th largest county in the State. It would appear that we are getting our share of the vaccine within the State.

The vaccinations are supposed to be prioritized already. Florida prioritization is health care workers first, over 65 second, front-line workers in essential positions third. That is a deviation from the CDC suggestion which put front-line workers before the 75+ group and moved the 65+ group further down the line.
The other day when I looked at the data regarding the number of vaccines given by county in Fl, Sumter County was 5th from the BOTTOM, yet we have more population than lots of those other counties that have had more vaccinations.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
The other day when I looked at the data regarding the number of vaccines given by county in Fl, Sumter County was 5th from the BOTTOM, yet we have more population than lots of those other counties that have had more vaccinations.
You were looking in the wrong list OR the list was ordered alphabetically OR Sumter County has far exceeded their share since then to bring them into line.

The correct data is here and you should look at the last column on the right.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938 View Post
Your message is right on the button. I have no idea what resources Sumter health has, but they are in way over their heads now. Too bad the national guard can’t jump in to help. Somebody! Anybody!
Economically speaking.......you can normally balance vaccine dose number ( or any good) with the supply by the equilibrium reached at a certain price level. But when you have a free good (to the public), you can see all these problems crop up. Especially galling is that example of cutting the line.

I would suggest that once a group is identified to be vaccinated and the group numbers are larger than the doses available ( which will always be the case in the early stages of this vaccine delivery) that SOME (?) system of chance be used, like a lottery or drawing of names. Anything by chance would LESSEN the hurt feelings and frustration of the public that has taken place so far. They have been treating the vaccine delivery like some kind of "Black Friday" sale at Walmart. They need a solid system, not the anarchy of "1st come, 1st served".
Old 01-10-2021, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I found it extremely frustrating to try to use Eventbrite to schedule an appointment for a Covid Vaccination.
I tried to sign up for an appointment and did it exactly at 8 am today when it opened for the Wildwood location. It had me in a waiting mode for "tickets". Then it said the following:

Sumter County Health Department COVID-19 Vaccination January 11 2021
Mon, Jan 11, 2021 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM EST
It's your turn!
Please place your order quickly, this event may sell out soon.
9:00AM-10:00AM
Free
10:00AM-11:00AM
Free
11:00AM-12:00PM
Free
It did not show HOW to get the "tickets" to the "event". Then in 5 minutes, it said sold out. I know the method to sign up in Arizona is much easier because my sister and brother in law live there and have gotten their corona vaccines.
Why is this cumbersome and unusual Eventbrite "ticket" and "event" system which is not well designed for signing up for appointments used? Why can't we at least have a sign up sheet to be put on a waiting list to eventually GET an appointment?
My frustration level is OFF THE CHARTS. I don't drink and I had a gin and OJ this morning and I'm still angry about this.
You want a sign up sheet for millions of people.....even if they could limit to Sumter (which I don't think they can), that's a sign up sheet for 130K. Eventbrite was chosen because that's what they do, like ticketmaster, they have the resources to handle the volume and all you are doing is getting a ticket for the shot (event). Ever try and get a ticket for a Billy Joel concert......same thing. "x" number of seats, when they are sold out there are no more seats. And the good news, we aren't charged a fee for handling the transaction, somebody is but for now, it's not us.

You did click on "Details" I assume which took you to the page where you could click on which hour you wanted.. If you didn't do that you never were on the right page. If you clicked on details it took you to the page and gave a countdown until each hour on each day opened up. Then you joined the battle of the 10's of thousands that clicked at the same time you did.

This is going to take a long time, and if this gets you frustrated you are in for a very stressful few months.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-10-2021, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Social good or personal good? WE all can have an opinion on that one.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
My letter addressed health department incompetence in distributing the available vaccine, which incompetence (or malfeasance) includes inoculating the Developer's cronies ahead of more-deserving residents.
A good and worthwhile letter.
Closed Thread

Tags
health, department, county, vaccine, vaccination

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.