Hydroxychloroquine

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2020, 04:40 PM
Sage
Default Hydroxychloroquine

We all have our views on this medication to treat Covid. I am a believer that It can help with Covid symptoms. With that said, I went to my primary care Dr. today for a physical. We got into a Covid discussion and I asked her if I was symptomatic with Covid, would she prescribe Hydroxychloroquine. Her answer was no. I said “if I asked for Hydroxychloroquine would you prescribe it” and she said no.

Hydroxychloroquine has long history with treating malaria with Great results no fatalities. It’s my body, and it’s what I choose to counteract Covid. I was disappointed to hear she would not prescribe this medication.

Have any of you asked your physicians if they would prescribe this, God forbid we get Covid? I would think this would be high on the priority list for us seniors who would like this medications.

Thank you for your input.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Default Who do you trust

Doctors and scientists are more knowledgeable on these matters than elected officials.
Trust the advice of your doctors.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:51 PM
Platinum member

Maybe it's because of supply and demand and they have to keep the supplies available for the people who have the diseases that require taking it were being depleted. There are several autoimmune diseases that require taking multiple doses a day besides taking it for malaria. I, for one, take it twice a day for scleroderma and have for 10 years.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:57 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

I wonder if the OP asked her physician if she would not prescribe it in general to anyone or to her on account of her personal health conditions. As far as I am concerned it is a gray area; some physicians may prescribe it at times, perhaps depending upon how the Chinese virus is affecting a particular patient. It is not a one size fits all situation.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-28-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbr47 View Post
Doctors and scientists are more knowledgeable on these matters than elected officials.
Trust the advice of your doctors.
There are a number of eminent doctors saying that this drug is effective in treating and preventing Covid19. So which doctors do you listen to?
Old 07-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

DR HARVEY A. RISCH, MD, PHD , PROFESSOR OF EPIDEMIOLOGY, YALE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH

“When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective,” Risch explained. “Especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.”

Earlier this month, a large peer-reviewed study found that hydroxychloroquine cut the mortality rate of COVID-19 by more than half and, contrary to previous claims by faulty studies, had no adverse effects on the heart.

Link goes to Newsweek article

You have been blocked
Old 07-28-2020, 05:19 PM
Sage

For the record....I take no medications, not overweight and have no health conditions that would prevent me from taking the drug. I have a 100% clean bill of health.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
DR HARVEY A. RISCH, MD, PHD , PROFESSOR OF EPIDEMIOLOGY, YALE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH

“When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective,” Risch explained. “Especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.”

Earlier this month, a large peer-reviewed study found that hydroxychloroquine cut the mortality rate of COVID-19 by more than half and, contrary to previous claims by faulty studies, had no adverse effects on the heart.

Link goes to Newsweek article

You have been blocked
We each have our own beliefs. I believe this drug saves lives. I should have the right to take it. I believe your info is spot on. Thank you for posting it.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,039 Times in 5,331 Posts

The more we hear about the virus the less I think they know
Old 07-28-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
There are a number of eminent doctors saying that this drug is effective in treating and preventing Covid19. So which doctors do you listen to?
And if it’s not effective, then why did Chris Cuomo take it? Why are the politicians able to get it? Something stinks here.....
Old 07-28-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I wonder if the OP asked her physician if she would not prescribe it in general to anyone or to her on account of her personal health conditions. As far as I am concerned it is a gray area; some physicians may prescribe it at times, perhaps depending upon how the Chinese virus is affecting a particular patient. It is not a one size fits all situation.
I take no meds, I’m not overweight and have a 100% clean bill of health. It has nothing to do with me physically. She said she believed there was no evidence that it helped. However, she did say that they gave it to patients who were hospitalized. I’m scratching my head........if they feel it helps hospitalized patients with the virus, why won’t it help those with early symptoms? I’m not on board with her beliefs......
Old 07-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I take no meds, I’m not overweight and have a 100% clean bill of health. It has nothing to do with me physically. She said she believed there was no evidence that it helped. However, she did say that they gave it to patients who were hospitalized. I’m scratching my head........if they feel it helps hospitalized patients with the virus, why won’t it help those with early symptoms? I’m not on board with her beliefs......
The key to using HCQ is to start use as soon as you develop symptoms, thats what most Doctors including the Yale Epidemiologist say. Some countries, including India, are using it with success as a prophylactic for health care and other high risk people.

4 or more hydroxychloroquine doses reduced risk of coronavirus in healthcare workers: ICMR study - India News
Old 07-28-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
We each have our own beliefs. I believe this drug saves lives. I should have the right to take it. I believe your info is spot on. Thank you for posting it.
You absolutely have the right to take it. And your doctor absolutely has the right not to prescribe it. All you have to do is find one who will.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 with symptoms and admitted to the hospital, you can ask for the super-cocktail then. That is what Dr. Hirsch's editorial was about, very specifically. It is not a preventative. It is not a treatment for asymptomatic people. It is not for people who have certain medical problems (such as allergies to doxycycline or zithromyicin, for example), it is not for people with liver disease.

Also, you don't have the "right" to take ANY prescription medicine. Drugs are not covered by the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. Lighten up on the hyperbole.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
We all have our views on this medication to treat Covid. I am a believer that It can help with Covid symptoms. With that said, I went to my primary care Dr. today for a physical. We got into a Covid discussion and I asked her if I was symptomatic with Covid, would she prescribe Hydroxychloroquine. Her answer was no. I said “if I asked for Hydroxychloroquine would you prescribe it” and she said no.

Hydroxychloroquine has long history with treating malaria with Great results no fatalities. It’s my body, and it’s what I choose to counteract Covid. I was disappointed to hear she would not prescribe this medication.

Have any of you asked your physicians if they would prescribe this, God forbid we get Covid? I would think this would be high on the priority list for us seniors who would like this medications.

Thank you for your input.
Why would you want to do this? Every legitimate scientific study has shown that it has no beneficial treatment effect on Covid-19. You might consider trying Oreo Cookies and Coca Cola. At least it will taste better. Better yet, would you consider drinking Chlorox?
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, hydroxychloroquine, prescribe, asked, medication

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.