If you watched, what did you think of the "new" NFL?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2020, 08:39 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts
Default If you watched, what did you think of the "new" NFL?

I was curious how much "pageantry" and BLM signage would be visible at NFL stadiums and on helmets/jerseys. I was pleasantly surprised. From what I could see, signage was not anywhere near as blatant as the NBA. In the Dallas/Rams game, there's an "end racism" sign in the grass past the end zone. The Rams helmets have "it takes all of us" on the back... but very subtle. If you're not looking for it you might not see it. I know some teams stayed in the locker room for the national anthem (shame on them).

Contrast this with the NBA. They have Black Lives Matter in huge letters on the court. On the back of their jersey's where their last name used to be, they have "Black Lives Matter" and "Equality", etc. It's in your face all the time.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I watched the Tampa Bay<>New Orleans game today - DVRd, then watched some parts of the game FFrwding thru commercials etc etc. I was in NE for 20 years so Tom Brady is 'my guy', and was interested to see how he did. He/they lost to N.O. I WOULD NOT HAVE WATCHED if I encountered the current 'stuff' going on in Sports. The only thing I saw was each player had a small quote or such in small print on the back of their helmet - Brady = "end racism". I Must say - if HIS said BLM, I would have been so gone. BLM is so overplayed, political, and....other things. I will probably watch their game next week, if on TV, but the same way.

Oh - the EXTREMELY hokey canned fan noise is so irritating - like a old sitcom or game show. There is probably an audio guy on a sound board - with "murmors, booing, screams, applause, yelling, roaring - all that stuff.... so artificial...
Old 09-13-2020, 09:22 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I watched the Tampa Bay<>New Orleans game today - DVRd, then watched some parts of the game FFrwding thru commercials etc etc. I was in NE for 20 years so Tom Brady is 'my guy', and was interested to see how he did. He/they lost to N.O. I WOULD NOT HAVE WATCHED if I encountered the current 'stuff' going on in Sports. The only thing I saw was each player had a small quote or such in small print on the back of their helmet - Brady = "end racism". I Must say - if HIS said BLM, I would have been so gone. BLM is so overplayed, political, and....other things. I will probably watch their game next week, if on TV, but the same way.

Oh - the EXTREMELY hokey canned fan noise is so irritating - like a old sitcom or game show. There is probably an audio guy on a sound board - with "murmors, booing, screams, applause, yelling, roaring - all that stuff.... so artificial...
I agree with you. I don't have an issue with a quote of "end racism." Because people should not be racist. I really feel the NFL is trying to walk a thin line. The quote "it takes all of us." Doesn't bother me.
There are a few obvious statements planted throughout the stadium. But again, NOTHING like the NBA.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:17 AM
Gold member

Pregame which I used to enjoy was 50%+ dedicated to the non-football issue. Just reinforced my non watch stance.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:10 AM

The fake crowd noise was amusing. When they would turn it up or hit the "roar" button, I would say to my wife "well, the crowd's really getting into it!!" I personally would have preferred a laugh track when something amusing happened and an OOOOOOHHHHHH when the fight broke out. But that's just me
Old 09-14-2020, 07:28 AM
Platinum member
Default bunch of nothing

watched three games, nothing special about them. blm will feel much better now that the nfl and the pampered players have fixed all the social injustices. I always like to look at the news the following days after games and see which players test positive or are arrested for crimes.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post

Do you realize that by using DVR the NFL or any Tv show receives a royalty when you record it and again when it’s played.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Wow ow that I no that I’ll put it on an endless loop to make up the money they are losing from the Patriots that are not watching .Also fake noise is better then no noise , just turn your volume off and see how awful that is
Old 09-14-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Talking

I watched part, or all of four games yesterday and will watch another tonight. If peaceful protests by mostly dark skinned players get under your white skin, you just might be part of the problem.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm a bit ashamed of myself. I've been a Patriots fan for close to 60 years but I was determined to not watch any games this season. I was watching the LPGA ANA Championship and my curiosity got the better of me. During commercial breaks I began to switch over to the Pats game. The more I switched over, the longer I stayed.

Then of course there was the Brady game. The men's golf was like watching a minor league game. Not a lot of the top players were there so I wasn't that interested. I vacuumed the house while watching the Bucs and Saints.

As far as all the social justice stuff, it wasn't all that bad. I made it a point to not watch the beginning of the broadcasts so I didn't see what wen on with the national anthem. I am deeply troubled over the fact that they have decided to play the very divisive Black national anthem.

I am very conflicted about this. As I said, I have followed The Patriots for 60 years and have gotten a lot of pleasure from watching them, especially over the past twenty years. I don't know whether I should allow a few people with whom I disagree take that away from me. On the other hand, I feel a bit guilty about supporting an organization that supports terrorists and anarchists.

I feel the same way about musicians and actors. There are a lot of artists that I enjoy but disagree with the politics. Some are not a problem because they are not a vocal as some others. Those that are big mouths about it like Alec Baldwin and Bruce Springsteen, I almost can't watch or listen to because all I'm thinking about is their politics.

So I don't know what I'm going to be doing for the rest of the NFL season. I supposed if the Patriots make another run at the Championship, it might entice me to watch more. But as I said, I'm torn. I wish that all of these leagues, actors, musicians, and athletes would just shut their mouths about social issues and politics.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, but I was hoping to have less crowd noise than usual from the NFL, and unfortunately they faked the sound just as loud as usual. I like that the golf has been so serenely quiet this year, but not so with all other 'recorded audience' sports.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Slightly off topic but I tuned into the Notre Dame/ Duke game Saturday where the Band was in the stands along with spectators. Real crowd noise and I was enjoying it until I saw that every Duke player had a decal of the Marxist black clenched fist on the back of their helmet. Game over.

Tags
lives, nba, end, back, matter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.