Ignoring the Science on Booster Shots NYT

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2021, 03:52 PM
Sage

Totally irrelevant. You can get the Moderna booster today and I know people who have. I would be going in today except it was recommended by my PCP to wait till December for my third shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
"boosters" is a misnomer. And that info about Moderna is TRUE. They must re-submit their long, long report. Still, many Doctors expect about ONLY a 2-week delay.

Last edited by biker1; 09-07-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
This deserves more than a hit on the LIKE button.

If folks would stay true to their word about becoming great, and respecting our own government instead of following and cheering for any crackpot theory that serves whatever doctrine they serve, we would be great.

This entire thing, from the get go was made into a P circus and for the last 18 months or so, elected officials, NOT FOLKS WHO HAVE SERVED THEIR LIFE IN THIS FIELD, led as if they have somehow concocted magical skills to determine the best route, with gain for the self’s as the main objective. We demonize folks who have given their life to the field, instead of cheering them on, and while they are not perfect or claim to be, we evidently still see P gain to be made.

Those who point out supposed errors are prepared to accept all the wrong doings from their elected officials…..that is ok…..but those who want to help sincerely are made a mockery off.

I do hope their is, in fact, Karma
I hit the like button for this post. I agree with the content.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:01 PM
Sage

Wow, you continue to be ignorant of even the most basic details. It is not an "effective rate", it is the efficacy. From the Phase 3 trials, it is the ratio of the number of breakthrough cases in the test group and the number of cases in the control group and represents a reduction in the probability of becoming infected if exposed. I am guessing you have no knowledge of basic statistics.

Exponential is not defined as 10x. Where do you get this nonsense from? An exponential function can be written as a^^x where "a" is the base, could be "e" or some other base, and "x" is the power. Seriously, if you don't know what you are talking about then don't say anything.

Quote:
The effective rate of the Pfizer vaccine WAS 97% (or around that and over 90%) AGAINST THE ALPHA VARIANT. The around (?) 70% effective rate has to do with the WHOLE NEW, different animal - the DELTA variant. So, the 97 % number has been rendered to be useful for modern Historical purposes only to discuss the early variants. Life changes and each year it changes MORE rapidly (I will not say exponentially). Imagine the year 2170, which many grandchildren will live to see (barring nuclear winter) - how fast that will change! Since the word conservative means "prefers things staying the way they are or were for long periods of time", How can anyone "conserve" at all (for longer than 1 day) when things will possibly change at an exponential (defined as 10 X) rate ?

Last edited by biker1; 09-07-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Totally irrelevant. You can get the Moderna booster today and I know people who have. I would be going in today except it was recommended by my PCP to wait till December for my third shot.
The "so-called booster" that people are getting today in TV Land IS REALLY just a repeat of the construction medically as the 2nd shot. Please read my post about Dr. Hotez of Baylor U. Just Google him. The vaccine shot to be given in Dec will likely be 100% the same as the 3rd shot (called by some a "BOOSTER" given TODAY. It is possible that by Dec that it could be 97% the same as today's 3rd shot with just a slight TWEEK for the Delta variant or maybe the Mu? Things can change quickly these days.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:09 PM
Sage

We all know that. A distinction without a difference.

Quote:
The "so-called booster" that people are getting today in TV Land IS REALLY just a repeat of the construction medically as the 2nd shot. Please read my post about Dr. Hotez of Baylor U. Just Google him. The vaccine shot to be given in Dec will likely be 100% the same as the 3rd shot (called by some a "BOOSTER" given TODAY. It is possible that by Dec that it could be 97% the same as today's 3rd shot with just a slight TWEEK for the Delta variant or maybe the Mu? Things can change quickly these days.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
According to information on fda.gov the EUA for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines was amended "to allow for the use of an additional dose in certain immunocompromised individuals."

If doctors are administering third shots to just anyone they are disregarding the EUA.

If patients are falsely declaring that they meet the conditions of the EUA then they are lying.

These things happen.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-07-2021, 04:12 PM
Sage

So, what else is new? Actually, I am pretty sure most people in The Villages can make a case that they are immunocompromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
According to information on fda.gov the EUA for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines was amended "to allow for the use of an additional dose in certain immunocompromised individuals."

If doctors are administering third shots to just anyone they are disregarding the EUA.

If patients are falsely declaring that they meet the conditions of the EUA then they are lying.

These things happen.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Wow, you continue to be ignorant of even the most basic details. It is not an "effective rate", it is the efficacy. From the Phase 3 trials, it is the ratio of the number of breakthrough cases in the test group and the number of cases in the control group and represents a reduction in the probability of becoming infected if exposed. I am guessing you have no knowledge of basic statistics.

Exponential is not defined as 10x. Where do you get this nonsense from? An exponential function can be written as a^^x where "a" is the base, could be "e" or some other base, and "x" is the power. Seriously, if you don't know what you are talking about then don't say anything.
Yes, guilty as charged efficacy - not efficiency. MY Bad! I NEVER really cared what the exact definition of the 95% meant. To me, it meant that it worked the best ever of all developed vaccines. And the mRNA can form a BASIS for vaccines against other diseases - maybe even cancer!
And, actually, I took at least 2 statistics classes a long, long time ago in a far-away place.
And the 10 X was NEVER something that I really believed about the definition of exponential, which is just a greater than linear rise in the curve of a graph (or something like that). One poster (I forget who) yelled at me and got all-red-in-the-face because they said that "exponential" meant ten times (10 X). So, I was just continuing their ERROR, just for my personal amusement. I am surprised to be corrected, but I am glad and impressed!

Last edited by jimjamuser; 09-07-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
So, what else is new? Actually, I am pretty sure most people in The Villages can make a case that they are immunocompromised.
"most" as in more than half? You really think the 130,000+ residents are truly that unwell?

"make a case" as in legitimately or more lying?

I would hope most people in The Villages are more honest than that (but I'm relatively new here).

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-07-2021, 04:44 PM
Sage

Probably, depends on your definition of compromised - "most" is half plus 1. High blood pressure, diabetes, cancer survivor, bad cholesterol numbers, overweight, cardiac issues, breathing problems, etc. You get the picture. So, you are against people wanting to get an additional dose of the vaccine (assuming there is no medical reason for not getting the vaccine) prior to the inevitable FDA approval for a third dose ? Some people want to reduce their risk as much as possible because they are in the autumn of their lives. The vaccines are extremely effective at keeping you out of the hospital and alive. Don't be so judgmental of people you don't even know.

Quote:
"most" as in more than half? You really think the 130,000+ residents are truly that unwell?

"make a case" as in legitimately or more lying?

I would hope most people in The Villages are more honest than that (but I'm relatively new here).

Last edited by biker1; 09-07-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Probably, depends on your definition of compromised - "most" is half plus 1. High blood pressure, diabetes, cancer survivor, bad cholesterol numbers, overweight, etc. You get the picture. So, you are against people wanting to get an additional dose of the vaccine (assuming there is no medical reason for not getting the vaccine) prior to the inevitable FDA approval for a third dose ? The vaccines are extremely effective at keeping you out of the hospital and alive.
The EUA and the FDA have a rough definition of immunocompromised that likely doesn't include high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol numbers, overweight, or etc. These are health issues but are likely not conditions that render one immunocompromised. I use the word "likely" as I am not a doctor.

I am not against people wanting to get an additional dose, I am against people lying to get an additional dose.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-07-2021, 05:01 PM
Sage

Fine, you are against it. Anything else?

Quote:
The EUA and the FDA have a rough definition of immunocompromised that likely doesn't include high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol numbers, overweight, or etc. These are health issues but are likely not conditions that render one immunocompromised. I use the word "likely" as I am not a doctor.

I am not against people wanting to get an additional dose, I am against people lying to get an additional dose.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
This deserves more than a hit on the LIKE button.

If folks would stay true to their word about becoming great, and respecting our own government instead of following and cheering for any crackpot theory that serves whatever doctrine they serve, we would be great.

This entire thing, from the get go was made into a P circus and for the last 18 months or so, elected officials, NOT FOLKS WHO HAVE SERVED THEIR LIFE IN THIS FIELD, led as if they have somehow concocted magical skills to determine the best route, with gain for the self’s as the main objective. We demonize folks who have given their life to the field, instead of cheering them on, and while they are not perfect or claim to be, we evidently still see P gain to be made.

Those who point out supposed errors are prepared to accept all the wrong doings from their elected officials…..that is ok…..but those who want to help sincerely are made a mockery off.

I do hope their is, in fact, Karma
Ok. How do you explain these headlines from one that has served his life in the field.

Fauci Says End to Pandemic In Sight - 11/20/20 - Prognosis
Fauci Predicts US Could See Signs of Herd Immunity by Late March or Early April - 12/15/20 - NPR
Fauci Gives Sunnier Outlook For End of Pandemic: US Will See 'Big, Big Difference' By Summer or Early Fall - 3/11/21 - Forbes
Fauci Says No End to COVID Pandemic before Spring 2022 - At the Earliest - 8/25/21 - Seattle Times
Top Scientist On New Report About Research In Chinese Labs: It’s ‘Clear’ Fauci Was ‘Untruthful’ - 9/7/21 - Daily Wire

And you tell us we're supposed to trust the government with advice coming from a guy like this. Oh yes. Let's cheer him on. Open your eyes and give us a break. This is all about power and control.

Last edited by lkagele; 09-07-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:53 PM
John41
Default Boosters - what is the situation now

Some posters seem to believe the booster is just another shot of the same vaccine. This is only certain now for those deemed to have compromised immunity. The booster when released for the rest of us might be the same, the same at a lower dose or one modified for the new variants. For those who want a link to the source just Google some of the text below.
——————————-
Is the booster just a third shot of the same vaccine?
We asked Johnson and Johnson, Moderna and Pfizer, the answer is both yes and no. That's because they have several boosters in the works.
Pfizer and Moderna are looking at offering a third dose, same as the first and second, while at the same time testing other ones engineered to specific variants.
Pfizer is currently evaluating a two-dose series separated by 21 days, and prototypes geared toward the Beta and Delta variants.
Moderna is evaluating their original formula given at different doses, specific variant options and a "multivalent platform, combining different variants into a single vaccine."
"The goal of the multivalent platform is to continue to try and stay ahead of where the virus is going by combining different antigens against emerging periods of concern," Moderna President Stephen Hoge said during an earnings call.

Last edited by John41; 09-07-2021 at 10:10 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
director, timeline, put, science, booster

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.