LA Teacher's Union demand shut down Charter schools

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2020, 06:00 AM

This is just my opinion after 36 years as an educator. I've been a teacher and assistant principal in both settings and I've seen how the charters are pushing many more kids through to graduation. The charters have an edge in parental involvement. Parents go to great lengths to get their kids admitted to charters even though there's often a lottery system used for admission. Check the data across the country. Graduation rates are higher in charter schools and kids are more likely to complete at least 2 years of college, but standards are often not as high as in the public school despite the fact that both must follow state guidelines, no child left behind standards and common-core standards.

Our charter schools in Pennsylvania just don't stack up to the public schools in standardized testing in math literacy and science. There are sometimes uncertified teachers in those areas in the charters. They are well-intentioned, but may lack the depth of knowledge and experience to convey concepts and learning strategies to our youth.

And just try to expel unruly students from the public schools. There are usually disciplinary schools for those "who don't fit in." The charters tend to dismiss their difficult children with great ease, right back to the neighborhood public school. Believe me, I've seen it.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Yes I read the same on Brietbart and w other Wired news conservative sites. Actually from union website
California teachers union pushes back on reopening schools as coronavirus cases continue to rise

“Simply said, California cannot reopen schools unless they are safe,” the state's largest teachers union wrote in a letter to state officials this week. July 9 2020
Old 07-14-2020, 06:46 AM

I don't trust snopes for anything close to the real truth.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:13 AM

Thanks for providing the research to back up your comments. It’s so much more meaningful than random rumors!
Old 07-14-2020, 07:30 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
For sure .... no work, no pay.

For sure they will be paid even if no schools. That's why they have unions. In VA the teachers didn't have to teach, got paid and lots are selling real estate while they should be teaching. Double dipping.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Very true and so sad that teachers union only cares about its members not the kids they are supposed to be giving an education to/
The worst union is the government workers...or commonly referred to as the deep state.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
It's CA
Beat me to it.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

All the info:

https://www.utla.net/sites/default/f...oats_final.pdf

"1. Defund Police: Police violence is a leading cause of death and trauma for Black people, and is a
serious public health and moral issue.65 We must shift the astronomical amount of money devoted to
policing, to education and other essential needs such as housing and public health."

"4. Charter Moratorium: Privately operated, publicly funded charter schools drain resources from district
schools — and many have “double-dipped” during this crisis by taking federal small business bailout
loans even though state funding did not decline this school year. 70 In addition, colocation adds
students to campuses when we need to reduce the number of students to allow for physical distancing."

Steve
Old 07-14-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
This is being reported by several right wing alarmist web sites (as differing from those that do more research and try to play fair), but it seems that most are simply copying whoever wrote first. One web page says the demands are from the National Education Association, but I’ve just checked and found none of these supposed demands. Another says the supposed demands come from UTLA, the United Teachers of Los Angeles, the teachers union. But I can’t find demands of the sort on their web site. They don’t think it’s safe to reopen schools yet, but I find no demands. Their conclusion is based on a research paper they funded. Here is their link to a summary of that paper. The summary doesn’t mention those demands.
https://www.utla.net/sites/default/f...ary1_page_.pdf
Here is their web site: UTLA recommends keeping LAUSD school campuses closed; refocus on robust distance learning practices for Fall | UTLA

The L.A. Times and the N.Y. Times are not reporting these supposed demands in their article about the school district choosing to not reopen this morning.

I conclude, therefore, that the article in your link is not true but is attempting to divide us. I wonder if it is even an American source, but is instead a Russian disinformation source. Russia longs to see us at each other’s throats. United we stand! (I remember being on a train from Moscow to Helsinki in July of 1984. There was a copy of “Pravda” (“Truth” in Russian) in a newspaper rack with a big photo of well-dressed Americans in New York at a taxi stand waiting for a cab. I asked an army officer who spoke English to translate the caption for me. It said, essentially, “Once-prosperous Americans in New York standing in line at a soup kitchen waiting for free food.” So much for truth!)

Thanks for sharing this so we could study it more carefully. This sort of lie spreads like wildfire and makes us hate each other. Put America first and hesitate to believe the lie. Thanks for doing that.
Unfortunately many many people see things on FACEBOOK and repost it as if they were in church listening to the Gospel of whatever friend posted it.I myself never pass on any info until I have vetted it myself. So good for you for doing the digging.
Just like Tucker Carlson, saying last night that we should not judge people for qualities they cannot control. What does that mean? He was addressing his PROVEN racist writer who had to resign in shame.
So I’m not surprised that Fox would spread that spew, and try to put California in a damaging light, they spread misinformation about NY all the time.
Fox also said “you have a better chance of being struck by lightning then catching COVID-19“
Tell that to 135,615 people who have died. I haven’t researched this BUT I don’t think that many people die in one year from lightening strikes.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Default This is not true, go to the CTA website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I don't know if this is true or not, but I've seen a few articles stating that the L.A. teachers union says schools can't reopen unless charter schools get shut down and police are defunded.
I'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to how defunding the police will result in schools that are safer from COVID-19.
L.A. Teachers Union: Schools Can’t Reopen Unless Charter Schools Shut Down, Police Defunded | News Break
This is false and being pushed on right wing non factual websites. Go directly to the CTA website and you will see the facts in the form of a position paper that the association wants accomplished before school can be opened. It is ALL about the safety of the site and the children and lastly the teachers. The right wingnuts are including things that the Union does support about appropriate treatment for minorities and less police violence. They hijacked a photo from the website and the wingnuts told lies. Do a fact check and you will find that teachers unions are a good thing, they have more collective education than anyone doing the lying. They are professional and like other educated, professional people want the best for their students. Do not treat them like thugs because they have a verbal professional organization.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:11 AM
Default UTLA DOES Support These "Opening Requirements"

My research shows that the UTLA does indeed specifically require defunding of police. Their paper titled

The Same Storm, but Different Boats:
The Safe and Equitable Conditions for
Starting LAUSD in 2020-21
UTLA  July 2020

Available at https://www.utla.net/sites/default/f...oats_final.pdf

covers that issue on page 11, items 1 and 4. So they do indeed state these are issues related to reopening the schools and that they must be addressed before the schools can open. Having been personally involved with an LA Times "investigation" many years ago and seeing up close how they manipulated the truth, the fact that they chose not to cover this story does not surprise me at all and does not, IMHO, make it any less true. The paper they posted does not put the union in the best light, or at least the Times may well feel that it does not, so they elected to skip it.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsport View Post
This is false and being pushed on right wing non factual websites. Go directly to the CTA website and you will see the facts in the form of a position paper that the association wants accomplished before school can be opened. It is ALL about the safety of the site and the children and lastly the teachers. The right wingnuts are including things that the Union does support about appropriate treatment for minorities and less police violence. They hijacked a photo from the website and the wingnuts told lies. Do a fact check and you will find that teachers unions are a good thing, they have more collective education than anyone doing the lying. They are professional and like other educated, professional people want the best for their students. Do not treat them like thugs because they have a verbal professional organization.
Sorry do not buy what you are selling about teachers union. Try firing a teacher in NYC.
Good luck.

They used to have an entire room or perhaps rooms filled with teachers who they did not trust to put in front of students. So they report to this room to sit and read and do whatever and get paid their salary.

Union might have been good once upon a time when working conditions were generally unsafe but these days think they do more harm than good.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetter View Post
My research shows that the UTLA does indeed specifically require defunding of police. Their paper titled

The Same Storm, but Different Boats:
The Safe and Equitable Conditions for
Starting LAUSD in 2020-21
UTLA  July 2020

Available at https://www.utla.net/sites/default/f...oats_final.pdf

covers that issue on page 11, items 1 and 4. So they do indeed state these are issues related to reopening the schools and that they must be addressed before the schools can open. Having been personally involved with an LA Times "investigation" many years ago and seeing up close how they manipulated the truth, the fact that they chose not to cover this story does not surprise me at all and does not, IMHO, make it any less true. The paper they posted does not put the union in the best light, or at least the Times may well feel that it does not, so they elected to skip it.

See post #23

Steve
Old 07-14-2020, 08:17 AM

"yes, public schools aren't happy that funding that could have gone to them goes to Charter schools...and there are a lot of big cities looking to defund the men in blue." These funds are to be used to educate children, it does not say where these children must attend school. Every child in a charter school means one les in public schools, one less for the public schools to have to in effect "Pay" for.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

This is so entertaining.

Original Post: LA teachers union are making some crazy demands to reopen schools

Denialists: It's a wingnut conspiracy, probably planted by the Russians

Several commenters: Here are the demands on UTLA website

Denialists: Crickets, so far
Closed Thread

Tags
schools, union, police, shut, charter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.