A man of privilege!

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2020, 08:04 PM
Default A man of privilege!

I keep hearing from others that because I am a white man ... I am a person of privilege. I always bristled at that suggestion. How can anyone who’s never walked a step in my shoes suggest that? ... and then I realized they were right after all! I had the privilege of having a loving mom and dad! They loved their four kids unconditionally! We ended every night with prayer! We said a prayer of thanks at every meal. We started every Sunday morning at Sunday school and then worshiped together in church. All four of us kids were there when we buried our parents. Today the four of us are nothing special ... but we know ... by faith... that Jesus is Lord! I’m sorry ... you are right... I am a person of privilege! Amen!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:07 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Thank you! Love your perspective.
It's not who you are....it's what you are
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 05-31-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry101 View Post
I keep hearing from others that because I am a white man ... I am a person of privilege. I always bristled at that suggestion. How can anyone who’s never walked a step in my shoes suggest that? ... and then I realized they were right after all! I had the privilege of having a loving mom and dad! They loved their four kids unconditionally! We ended every night with prayer! We said a prayer of thanks at every meal. We started every Sunday morning at Sunday school and then worshiped together in church. All four of us kids were there when we buried our parents. Today the four of us are nothing special ... but we know ... by faith... that Jesus is Lord! I’m sorry ... you are right... I am a person of privilege! Amen!
You have never had to leave your house to go to school or work, and worry that the police car driving up the road is going to stop and officers come out with their hands on the handles of their guns, questioning why you're walking on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.

You have never had to be followed by a store clerk who is worried that you're going to steal something.

You've never been in an elevator and when it opened on another floor, the young family about to get in, chose to wait for another elevator instead.

That is privilege. You enjoy things that black people don't get to enjoy, simply by virtue of your skin color.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

That is privilege. You enjoy things that black people don't get to enjoy, simply by virtue of your skin color.

Man did you miss the boat with OP's post.

Nice broard paint brush also,
Steve
Old 05-31-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage

I got his point completely. He found a way to dismiss and minimize the fact that he, and most white people (including myself) live with a privilege that we don't even realize we have, until someone points it out.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I got his point completely. He found a way to dismiss and minimize the fact that he, and most white people (including myself) live with a privilege that we don't even realize we have, until someone points it out.
And why do we have such privilege?
Old 05-31-2020, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECHFalcon68 View Post
And why do we have such privilege?
Something to do with black crime so much higher than other groups?
Old 05-31-2020, 08:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I got his point completely.

No you didn't!
A loving Mom and Dad.. is that privilege?
Ending every night in a prayer....is that privilege?
Prayer of thanks at every meal.... is that privilege?
Sunday School and worshiping as a family...is that privilege?
"They" as a Family know that Jesus is Lord...PRIVILEGE?
That is life, don't spew more about the "oppressed" ...life believe it or not is your life...what "you" make of it, not what "someone" thinks it should be. EVERYONE is what THEY make of THEIR life.
Yes YOU missed the boat with the OP's post
Steve
Old 05-31-2020, 09:02 PM
Sage

If the OP hadn't begun his thread with a reference to being privileged "as a white man" I wouldn't have responded, because it'd be a lovely sentiment of a person who is privileged to have wonderful things in his life.

However, he pointed out that the reference was to being privileged "as a white man." NONE of the things he is talking about, are things that are exclusive to being white. Unless he really thinks that black people don't have loving families with moms and dads? And he thinks black people don't pray? And so on and so forth.

Get the "as a white man" out of the thread, and you have a point, Steve. But as long as that distinction remains, it is just ignorance rearing its ugly head.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
it is just ignorance rearing its ugly head.
Obviously you didn't see he followed with " a person of privilege", People see what they want to see.
Steve
Old 05-31-2020, 09:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Obviously you didn't see he followed with " a person of privilege", People see what they want to see.
Steve
I saw what he posted. Here it is again:

Quote:
I keep hearing from others that because I am a white man ... I am a person of privilege.
Bold/underlined for emphasis. This is plain English. But translating the grammar for ya:

He hears from people that he is privileged BECAUSE he is white. That his privilege - is a direct result of the color of his skin.

And then he goes on to explain how he's privileged.

So HE is missing the point. Or obfuscating it. Or minimizing it. Or possibly not understanding it - however, since he then says he bristles from it, I'm sensing that he totally understands it.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I saw what he posted. Here it is again:

Bold/underlined for emphasis. This is plain English. But translating the grammar for ya:

He hears from people that he is privileged BECAUSE he is white. That his privilege - is a direct result of the color of his skin.

And then he goes on to explain how he's privileged.

So HE is missing the point. Or obfuscating it. Or minimizing it. Or possibly not understanding it - however, since he then says he bristles from it, I'm sensing that he totally understands it.
Like I said, "people" see and read what they want. You don't get the message and can't "see the forrest through the trees"
Tunnel vision is a terrible thing.
Steve
Old 05-31-2020, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Not sure I understand, what’s wrong with being born white, or born a man? Or for that matter a human?

I don’t think he really had a choice in the matter.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
You have never had to leave your house to go to school or work, and worry that the police car driving up the road is going to stop and officers come out with their hands on the handles of their guns, questioning why you're walking on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.

You have never had to be followed by a store clerk who is worried that you're going to steal something.

You've never been in an elevator and when it opened on another floor, the young family about to get in, chose to wait for another elevator instead.

Nailed it!

Being born a white male in this country, is the single biggest head-start...a person could have.

One thing you don't hear, are all those white men talking about how they wished they had been born...with black skin.

That speaks for itself.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Closed Thread

Tags
privilege, kids, prayer, man, sunday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.