A man of privilege!

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2020, 10:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Nailed it!

Being born a white male in this country, is the single biggest head-start...a person could have.

One thing you don't hear, are all those white men talking about how they wished they had been born...with black skin.

That speaks for itself.
Bull ****! Of course....I'm proud of who I am and who I became, not because of color or "privlege" . With my **** of a life when I was younger, I could've gone either way, nobody knows what it was like when or where I grew up. Without going into details...I was a **** of a kid, thank God I had people that cared and helped me take hold of my life.....privileged...without a doubt!
What was your childhood like?
Steve
Old 05-31-2020, 11:44 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You have never had to leave your house to go to school or work, and worry that the police car driving up the road is going to stop and officers come out with their hands on the handles of their guns, questioning why you're walking on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.

You have never had to be followed by a store clerk who is worried that you're going to steal something.

You've never been in an elevator and when it opened on another floor, the young family about to get in, chose to wait for another elevator instead.

That is privilege. You enjoy things that black people don't get to enjoy, simply by virtue of your skin color.
I did not get into Harvard or any other college through affirmative action and get coached on tests and given the answers ahead of time so I could pass.

I did not get into medical school only because I was black (Matory, Jr.) but unqualified and take the place of a white man who went to medical school in the Caribbean and went on to save many lives and do a lot of charity work (Bakke) only to go on and kill my patients and lose my license to practice medicine. Plastic Surgeon Discusses Patient'''s Death - Los Angeles Times

I did not get hired at higher wages than my white counterparts and only have to show up at work to pick up my paycheck but never have to do any work at all because I was black.

It must be nice to enjoy black privilege.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-01-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

This white male privilege is a strange thing, why do they not seem to enjoy it much? Why do they have the highest rates of suicide?

Wiki:
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention reported that in 2016 suicide was the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S., imposing a cost of $69 billion to the US annually.[9][18] Other statistics reported are:[9]

The annual age-adjusted suicide rate is 13.42 per 100,000 individuals.
Men die by suicide 3.53x more often than women.
On average, there are 123 suicides per day.
White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides in 2016.
A firearm is used in almost 50% of all suicides.
The rate of suicide is highest in middle age—white men in particular.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I did not get into Harvard or any other college through affirmative action and get coached on tests and given the answers ahead of time so I could pass.

I did not get into medical school only because I was black (Matory, Jr.) but unqualified and take the place of a white man who went to medical school in the Caribbean and went on to save many lives and do a lot of charity work (Bakke) only to go on and kill my patients and lose my license to practice medicine. Plastic Surgeon Discusses Patient'''s Death - Los Angeles Times

I did not get hired at higher wages than my white counterparts and only have to show up at work to pick up my paycheck but never have to do any work at all because I was black.

I would argue with your view, but your signature tagline says it all.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

You might want to find a more applicable signature tag.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

Having a pity party? And your mother didn't have to give you the young man talk about how not to walk with your hands in your pockets, don't look "that way" at a white girl and don't argue with a police officer even if they're wrong and several other behaviors that could prevent you from getting home safely. Every black mother has to give this talk, so stop complaining.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:05 AM

We will never be able to get over these racial barriers because of people ( both black and white) not being able to get over the past. Forget the skin color and look at that person as an individual. There are certain people that make it rough on their race by doing terrible things that reflect on them as a race whether they are black or white. We can't base our opinions on these few but we do. We need to look at the big picture and look at one race (the human race). Until we can get skin color and just the few people who set the bad examples out of our head then maybe we can get over this problem. I seriously doubt that it will ever happen because of living in the past
Old 06-01-2020, 05:07 AM

Quit living in the past. Move on
Old 06-01-2020, 05:07 AM

Ok, you are religious. What is your point?
Old 06-01-2020, 05:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

One thing you don't hear, are all those white men talking about how they wished they had been born...with black skin.

Very degrading.............black men do not wish they were born white.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You have never had to leave your house to go to school or work, and worry that the police car driving up the road is going to stop and officers come out with their hands on the handles of their guns, questioning why you're walking on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.

You have never had to be followed by a store clerk who is worried that you're going to steal something.

You've never been in an elevator and when it opened on another floor, the young family about to get in, chose to wait for another elevator instead.

That is privilege. You enjoy things that black people don't get to enjoy, simply by virtue of your skin color.
That is exactly the point. Most white people don't get that (including me for a long time).
Old 06-01-2020, 05:24 AM

OK folks. I've had enough. Yes, I did quite well for myself as I worked my butt off to get where I am. Along the way, I witnessed people of color in the college book store getting free albums, junk food, etc. from their government entitlement check while I paid for my books with the money that I EARNED from the two jobs I had. I worked my way through a thirty five year career by acquiring knowledge and then giving that back to others. I wish I could tell you how many times I was passed over for promotions and positions that would have paid me lots more only because I was a white male. Don't give me this white male priviledge crap. Until you have been discriminated against for what you are, just shut the hell up.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:28 AM

We are Brits and have a second home in TV. So largely we cannot comment on US affairs. But I share a story.
One night we were driving in from MCO.
As we entered Wildwood we were surrounded by 3 cop cars. We didn’t realise our main beams weren’t on. I guess our accents helped. It was a scary incident. They were on the lookout for drugs people. We didn’t fit the profile. Were we privileged? Coming from the UK I don’t know. I would like to think that 99.9% of cops would have treated everybody equally. Just as in the US we in the UK have a few rotten apples who have their own agenda. Whatever your views it would be hard to find any justification in this recent incident or any that are like it.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:30 AM

Let me know when you have your pity party so I can make sure not to show up.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:41 AM
Sage

Chris Rock, the black comic, also gives the talk. Like most comedy, it is funny because it is true.

Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police! - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrix53 View Post
Having a pity party? And your mother didn't have to give you the young man talk about how not to walk with your hands in your pockets, don't look "that way" at a white girl and don't argue with a police officer even if they're wrong and several other behaviors that could prevent you from getting home safely. Every black mother has to give this talk, so stop complaining.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:46 AM
Default Getting it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Man did you miss the boat with OP's post.

Nice broard paint brush also,
Steve
OrangeBlossomBaby got it 1000 percent right. Listen to the stories of people of color whose life was identical to that of the original post but then had the experiences described by OrangeBlossomBaby. That is privilege.
Closed Thread

Tags
privilege, kids, prayer, man, sunday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.