A man of privilege!

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2020, 05:50 AM
Default Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Not sure I understand, what’s wrong with being born white, or born a man? Or for that matter a human?

I don’t think he really had a choice in the matter.
There is nothing wrong with being born white. What i s wrong is not recognizing that as a white person in America you are a privileged person.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:05 AM

Is a black man born in the United States a man of privilege compared to one born in a third world country?
Is a member of the Kennedy clan a man of privilege compared to a white retired union worker living in The Villages?
Is the son of a successful black man privileged compared to an unemployed redneck living in a trailer park?
You play the hand you are dealt, cease opportunities, work hard, and celebrate your successes. Otherwise, you dwell on your disadvantages, feel victimized, and resent those who are moving forward.
The color that matters is GREEN.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Nailed it!

Being born a white male in this country, is the single biggest head-start...a person could have.

One thing you don't hear, are all those white men talking about how they wished they had been born...with black skin.

That speaks for itself.
Funny how all those Asians come here with nothing and not speaking the language and somehow manage to be very successful.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:14 AM
Veteran member
Default Priveledge

Being a white Protestant man is being of the privileged. All you people seem to forget how mr. President Kennedy I start not to have a chance as he was a Catholic. Being black are Muslim or Jewish or not being a prize than white man is taking the chance how being hurt everyday give me a nickel for every time someone came up to me and said gee I had a Jewish boss I was fine working with them. Even when I travel the country as a salesperson I would drive up do Wisconsin weather Chicago license plate I have dumb young man stop me and call me a flatlander. Being a woman or being black or an Asian or Muslim or a Jew means you're a second-class citizen to every white Protestant mail out there that may give you a job or has a position that serves people . it's really nice that you believe in your religion and it gives you much hope and joy, but unconsciously I bet you do things that are prejudiced against most of the world remember Christianity is the smallest numbered of the major religious organizations.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:18 AM
Veteran member
Default Priveledge

By the way in an interesting historical fact in the sixties and 70s during the marches for the blacks to be treated the same as everyone else there was a large block a liberal Jews I would come to Washington DC to march with the blacks. I'm not saying the word Christians but what I am saying do Jews as a group very liberal and still are.

What I'd like everyone to consider instead of being hateful or afraid , what are you going to do to change everyone's perceptions and prejudices? 50 plus years since the March's
Old 06-01-2020, 06:28 AM

We do not choose our race.

I feel so helpless. I am a white woman, by no fault of my own. I am saddened and incensed about the senseless killing of Floyd George, a black man, by no fault of his own. I am as saddened and incensed by this killing as anyone, black or white, by no fault of their own.

What makes a person kill so senselessly? And what makes groups of people react so violently? This is by fault of their own. And that fault has no color, nor race. But fault has intent and it has consequences.

Sadly, today the consequences are for people who are equally saddened and incensed by the tragic, triggering event. Who suffer, by no fault of their own.

I feel so helpless. I want to do something. To participate in the solution in some great or small way. And I am afraid of the consequences of the situation we face today for people of all race, who are going to continue to suffer, because of the fault and intent of others.

If anyone has ideas for how I can contribute to solutions to the tragic situation we are facing, please share.

Last edited by thevillager1988; 06-01-2020 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2020, 06:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,552 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You have never had to leave your house to go to school or work, and worry that the police car driving up the road is going to stop and officers come out with their hands on the handles of their guns, questioning why you're walking on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.

You have never had to be followed by a store clerk who is worried that you're going to steal something.

You've never been in an elevator and when it opened on another floor, the young family about to get in, chose to wait for another elevator instead.

That is privilege. You enjoy things that black people don't get to enjoy, simply by virtue of your skin color.
Oh please! If you act and dress like the right way, you will have no issues. I dont care what color you are. This attitude is whats perpetuating all the riots. You are treated by the way you act. Act like an animal and thats how youll be perceived regardless of your color
Old 06-01-2020, 06:33 AM
Default Disagree in every aspect with that post

Quote:
You have never had to leave your house to go to school or work, and worry that the police car driving up the road is going to stop and officers come out with their hands on the handles of their guns, questioning why you're walking on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.

You have never had to be followed by a store clerk who is worried that you're going to steal something.

You've never been in an elevator and when it opened on another floor, the young family about to get in, chose to wait for another elevator instead.

That is privilege. You enjoy things that black people don't get to enjoy, simply by virtue of your skin color.
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with that post totally, I am a Hispanic male, came over from Cuba In 1962, landed in Miami, did not speak English, had to work since there was no welfare back then, worked as many as 3 jobs to be able to eat, bought a car on payments and moved to Virginia. I saw and felt discrimination, I saw the signs saying “Cubans not allowed” I was called every bad name in the book, I got over it and are now retired with no debt, no pension, but very stable and I buy what I want when I want. It’s what you make of yourself what counts. If you live with a chip on your shoulder it will be there FOREVER. GET OVER IT, work hard, worship hard live a clean life, EVERYONE CAN MAKE IT. AMERICA IS THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITIES, IF YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE TO EARN IT. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2020, 06:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry101 View Post
I keep hearing from others that because I am a white man ... I am a person of privilege. I always bristled at that suggestion. How can anyone who’s never walked a step in my shoes suggest that? ... and then I realized they were right after all! I had the privilege of having a loving mom and dad! They loved their four kids unconditionally! We ended every night with prayer! We said a prayer of thanks at every meal. We started every Sunday morning at Sunday school and then worshiped together in church. All four of us kids were there when we buried our parents. Today the four of us are nothing special ... but we know ... by faith... that Jesus is Lord! I’m sorry ... you are right... I am a person of privilege! Amen!
That’s what happened at my house, too, and I’m grateful for that privilege. It has colored my whole life, as it was meant to.

I’ve had privileges in my life, too. Not because of my ethnicity, but because I worked hard, obeyed the laws, lived frugally, chose a great wife and carefully raised wonderful, very intelligent children. This was available to nearly everyone in America willing to make similar educational choices and defer gratification. Now I own a house in The Villages. Hey, if you live here, you are privileged, right? It’s a privilege to live in this beautiful, neatly kept, very safe place where there is so much to do.

I’d like to mention that during the civil rights period from 1960-1967, my grandfather was a preacher and also the circulation manager for two national popular religious monthly magazines, “These Times,” “for the white folk,” and “Message,” “for the colored,” as they would say. The first had an all white editorial staff. The second had an all black editorial staff. They were published by the same publisher and printed on the same presses in Nashville. My grandfather (born in North Dakota of Danish and Norwegian parents) worked equally for both. Half his preaching was done in “white” churches, mostly in the South, and half of his preaching was done in “black” churches. Usually, he would first preach in a “white” church, then race across town to preach in the “black” church, as they would just be warming up about the time the “white” church members were going home. I got to travel to these churches with him. He was loved in both types of church, and he loved the food served after the second service. I did, too. Under the seat of his Rambler he kept a shotgun with a twelve inch barrel and a pistol grip. For safety in the “black” part of town? No, for safety in case a few angry “whites” tried to stop him as he was leaving town. They did try to stop him a few times, and he had to wave that one-handed little shotgun (never loaded or fired). It definitely changed some minds! The people in the “black” churches loved their families at least as much as the people in the “white” churches. There were differences in privileges and educational opportunities and choices, but in all those churches, people were learning the message and trying to live it. That privilege was available to all, and you are right to point it out.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 AM
Default privileg

Quote:

As a poor white person growing up, coming from the wrong side of the tracks, I had all the same “privileges” as the black person. Enter a store, the security followed you pretending to check the goods. Walk on the wrong side of town, police followed you as if you were about to rob the local establishment. Boys/men thought you and your mother were “easy”. Getting stopped and questioned by local cops “just because”. Called names because you wore hand-me-downs. Yep, sure enjoyed my “white privilege”.
But as Steve said, I had the privilege of loving parents who instilled in me the right and wrong of life including being kind to those different than me.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
By the way in an interesting historical fact in the sixties and 70s during the marches for the blacks to be treated the same as everyone else there was a large block a liberal Jews I would come to Washington DC to march with the blacks. I'm not saying the word Christians but what I am saying do Jews as a group very liberal and still are.

What I'd like everyone to consider instead of being hateful or afraid , what are you going to do to change everyone's perceptions and prejudices? 50 plus years since the March's
Thank you...exactly the point I've been making.

Anyone can see the usual suspects who try and divert from the real problem of institutional inequality/racism/bigotry, to concentrate on those minuscule amounts of criminals...who are breaking the law.

They are quick to paint with a broad rush, yet you never see them post in support of those who have continually been subjected to discrimination, because:

1. Since it's not them, they don't care.

2. They're too stupid/ignorant to understand it's even happening.

3. Or they actually like it...the way it is.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:44 AM
Default Well said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
I am sorry, but I have to disagree with that post totally, I am a Hispanic male, came over from Cuba In 1962, landed in Miami, did not speak English, had to work since there was no welfare back then, worked as many as 3 jobs to be able to eat, bought a car on payments and moved to Virginia. I saw and felt discrimination, I saw the signs saying “Cubans not allowed” I was called every bad name in the book, I got over it and are now retired with no debt, no pension, but very stable and I buy what I want when I want. It’s what you make of yourself what counts. If you live with a chip on your shoulder it will be there FOREVER. GET OVER IT, work hard, worship hard live a clean life, EVERYONE CAN MAKE IT. AMERICA IS THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITIES, IF YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE TO EARN IT. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!
And well done!
Old 06-01-2020, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Snip>... The people in the “black” churches loved their families at least as much as the people in the “white” churches....<Snip

But that runs counter to those who are claiming that their head-start/privilege isn't because they were born with white skin...but because they had loving and caring parents.

Implying black families don't.

Never even dawning on them, that this is exactly the discrimination/stereotyping...that is at the root of our country's shame.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote"..................You have never had to leave your house to go to school or work, and worry that the police car driving up the road is going to stop and officers come out with their hands on the handles of their guns, questioning why you're walking on the sidewalk in your neighborhood.

That is privilege. You enjoy things that black people don't get to enjoy, simply by virtue of your skin color........end quote

EXACTLY.....people not realizing this is why we are having problems. Having the misguided belief that we all start out our life in the same place. With the same advantages/disadvantages.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 AM

I am a 72 year old white man. Orange Blossom Baby is totally right and much more. The fact that people don't know that is most of the problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
privilege, kids, prayer, man, sunday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.