Mass shootings

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2022, 05:25 PM
Default Mass shootings

I used to be a hunter and really would not want anyone to stop me from having my hunting guns. I could even see the potential reason for personal handguns for self defense. BUT I do feel that there needs to be much more control on automatic guns and long range rifles. Why can't our politician see that there are different guns for different purposes and band, or at least strongly control, any weapon that could be used for mass murders! Gun violence has gotten OUT OF CONTROL!
Old 07-04-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
I used to be a hunter and really would not want anyone to stop me from having my hunting guns. I could even see the potential reason for personal handguns for self defense. BUT I do feel that there needs to be much more control on automatic guns and long range rifles. Why can't our politician see that there are different guns for different purposes and band, or at least strongly control, any weapon that could be used for mass murders! Gun violence has gotten OUT OF CONTROL!
The voice of reason.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I agree with you 100%. Most politicians are bought off and vote their personal interests.

Last edited by JohnN; 07-04-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
There is complete control on automatic weapons. Semi auto different story. What did you hunt with?
Old 07-04-2022, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
There is complete control on automatic weapons. Semi auto different story. What did you hunt with?

BB gun.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Well, the problem is the 2nd amendment. There is no way our divide government can make any changes to clarify it. The is debate over the meaning, and the current SCOTUS is not about to take a point of view that favors any controls.

This thread is simply going to circle the same old arguments, and once again nothing will change.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:26 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,197 Times in 326 Posts

Every “Mass Shooting” someone simply MUST start a thread….
Old 07-04-2022, 10:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,094 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Well, the problem is the 2nd amendment. There is no way our divide government can make any changes to clarify it. The is debate over the meaning, and the current SCOTUS is not about to take a point of view that favors any controls.

This thread is simply going to circle the same old arguments, and once again nothing will change.
You're right. But, then again, threads are composed of opinions, and expectations that they will change laws are optimistic. The OP initial comment offers an opinion which is not an extreme but is His. Wouldn't it be interesting to see other opinions? I tend to agree with his.

I was on an educational trip to Cuba several years ago, and our tour guide extolled the fact that Cuba's record regarding gun violence was outstanding because they were not allowed to have guns. My thoughts went to, why no guns. Part of that thought went back to the overthrow of the government (Evil as it was) by an element that took over all and made their own laws for distribution of assets. Were their gun laws made to save people or to protect their existence. Observing the status of Cuba at the time, I had to say I was glad I did not live there. My opinion!

Has nothing to do with 2nd Amendment, or does it? Greater minds than mine have argued for years.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
You're right. But, then again, threads are composed of opinions, and expectations that they will change laws are optimistic. The OP initial comment offers an opinion which is not an extreme but is His. Wouldn't it be interesting to see other opinions? I tend to agree with his.

I was on an educational trip to Cuba several years ago, and our tour guide extolled the fact that Cuba's record regarding gun violence was outstanding because they were not allowed to have guns. My thoughts went to, why no guns. Part of that thought went back to the overthrow of the government (Evil as it was) by an element that took over all and made their own laws for distribution of assets. Were their gun laws made to save people or to protect their existence. Observing the status of Cuba at the time, I had to say I was glad I did not live there. My opinion!

Has nothing to do with 2nd Amendment, or does it? Greater minds than mine have argued for years.
I guess it depends on peoples positions.

I believe it is pretty much impossible to even consider removing all guns from the US. DUH. 300 million guns can not be collected and disposed of in any reasonable amount of time, no matter how much I would like that. So, a more pragmatic approach to me, is to come to some kind of bi-partisan gun control legislation.

1. Universal background checks with access to mental health history for all purchases private or commercial. Anyone selling a gun with out receiving a background check is charged as accessory if the gun is used in a crime.

2. Cool down period - 48 to 72 hours? Maybe a week?

3. Domestic violence checks.

4. Some form of definition of what kind of guns can be owned. We obviously need to restrict access to cruise missiles, and BB guns are probably not going to make people happy. Some where in the middle we shovel be able to meet.

5. Conviction of a crime where a gun is used results in automatic lifetime ban from owning or possessing.

6. NATIONAL/universal gun control laws. If we have open carry, fine, EVERYONE has open carry.

There are a few ideas. I have more, but those would be a good start. I have mentioned them before also. Most people don't give e reasons, they just make snarky statements - drive by one liners.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

America'''s gun culture - in seven charts - BBC News
Old 07-05-2022, 02:08 AM

The Girandoni air rifle was an airgun designed by Tyrolian inventor Bartholomäus Girandoni circa 1779. It was used on the Lewis and Clark Expedition in the early 1800s.
It was capable of discharging it's entire 20 shot capacity in less than 30 seconds.

The first successful design for a semi-automatic rifle is attributed to Austria-born gunsmith Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher, who unveiled the design in 1885.

Why are these antique weapons suddenly a modern problem?
Old 07-05-2022, 05:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
BB gun.
Please don't get cute, this is a very serious problem.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,649 Times in 1,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post

Exactly.

Same ol' same ol'. Nothing will change. And media will beat the drum over and over and over ad endless nauseam.

Except that the one thing that NEEDS to change is mentioned in the sentence above. Research has proven, time and time again, that the ONE thing that exacerbates gun violence especially among younger people like no other is the endless, breathless media coverage. Research has proven time and again, particularly with mass shootings but also with individual shootings, that "copycat" shootings are the primary cause of at least 50% of such shootings, probably more. Examples:

"Violent events are often covered by news outlets in great detail and spread immediately through mass media and social media. Experts believe that this media coverage can inspire others to copy these actions or commit similar crimes.[1] This is often called the media contagion effect, and it happens with suicide, terrorist attacks, and mass shootings." (Etc.) "(Does Media Coverage Inspire Copy Cat Mass Shootings?" Pew Research: Alex Pew, Lauren Goldbeck, Caroline Halsted, and Diana Zuckerman, PhD)

"An 18-year-old white man suspected of fatally shooting 10 people in a Black neighborhood in Buffalo, New York, appears to be the latest in a line of "copycat" gunmen carrying out deadlier mass shootings inspired by previous attackers, experts warned on Sunday." (Etc.) ("Copycat' mass shootings becoming deadlier, experts warn after New York attack" Tim Reid and Kanishka Singh, Reuters, May 15, 2022).

The above examples are but two of--perhaps--thousands.

Ironic, isn't it? The ONE provable thing America could do to substantially reduce gun violence, starting today, is the ONE thing media will NOT do. Media, by their incessant over-reporting and and breathless proselytizing over Demon Gun and those who employ them for purposes of murder, will continue to incite more such incidents. Disaffected people will continue to see, read and hear about these killings, and will decide that their 15 minutes of notoriety is a fine way to exit.

And the killings will go on.

Just how much blood is on the hands of American media?
Old 07-05-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
We’ll, you claim to be an ex-hunter, then follow that up with an ignorant statement about “automatic” weapons. There are already many restrictions on automatic weapons. If you wish to own one, you have to go through an EXTENSIVE background check, the local sheriff has to personally vouch for you, then you will pay thousands just for the license to own an automatic weapon. Are you claiming that you hunted with automatic weapons?
Old 07-05-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Automatic weapons have been illegal for almost 100 Years now.
Closed Thread

Tags
guns, control, mass, rifles, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.