The Media is the Virus

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Are you a we doctor? Or are you in a position of power be it ceo of a hospital or medical review ?
What exactly are your qualifications for making you opinions sound like facts? All my sources say the opposite of what you are saying and they are in places of power to know the truth.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Moral of the story is, don't trust the media, they want to keep you scared, and most of them do not want the economy to recover "too soon"

Exactly.

I've come to rely on the comments found in forums like TOTV. With a variety of opinions, I can form a belief based on a consensus of replies. That belief almost always becomes close to factual over time.
Hmmmm... Rely on TOTV forums, I don't think so, BUT reading, listening, googling and then after fact checking, draw your own conclusion without bias!!
Old 07-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

In the villages and especially on this site there is no real news unless they agree with it !!!
Old 07-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I’ll stay with NIH CDC and John Hopkins. Tracking Covid is now rising in 28 states since reopening even with protective measures as PPE. There were not protests in every state considering the epicenter Ma Ny Ri and Nj have had less than 300. The one difference is MASKS and SOCIAL DISTANCING as compared to Fl Tx Az Ca.
A mask will not hurt you.
The number of Americans who have contracted COVID-19 is likely 10 times higher than the 2.5 million currently confirmed cases, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

Center For Disease Control (CDC) Director Dr. Robert Redfield’s estimate indicates that at least 25 million Americans have been infected by SARS-CoV-2 to date.

New York New Jersey did not get spike from protests because they had already reached a level of herd immunity. Nobel Laureate Michael Levitt of Stanford thinks herd immunity is reached as low as 20-30% of population. If CDC Director is correct that actual case count is 10 times what testing has confirmed, NYC's confirmed case count of 400k becomes 4 million, 50% of NYC population.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Who or what is "Hunley"?
Chet Huntley and David Brinkley were NBC journalists - the best!
Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
The number of Americans who have contracted COVID-19 is likely 10 times higher than the 2.5 million currently confirmed cases, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

Center For Disease Control (CDC) Director Dr. Robert Redfield’s estimate indicates that at least 25 million Americans have been infected by SARS-CoV-2 to date.

New York New Jersey did not get spike from protests because they had already reached a level of herd immunity. Nobel Laureate Michael Levitt of Stanford thinks herd immunity is reached as low as 20-30% of population. If CDC Director is correct that actual case count is 10 times what testing has confirmed, NYC's confirmed case count of 400k becomes 4 million, 50% of NYC population.
The horse broke out of the barn a long time ago and the media acts like it's some thing new. Of course the more testing you do you will find more people who had it and never knew it. Common damn sense.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieER View Post
Shaking my head at the comments on here. Brushing off a deadly disease like it’s nothing and all media made up. People need to wake up. It’s here to stay for a very long time and will continue to spread with these attitudes. Horrible for the doctors and nurses to constantly try to save people without knowing everything about it, putting their own lives at risk because we don’t take it seriously. Many have PTSD already. Do we think they are all going to stay in this profession with a steady stream of covid patients? They have families too and want to survive WITH them. So what if there’s more capacity?! It’s fine to keep spreading it because there are enough beds? For now? So what if someone goes in for something else and is tested positive for covid and now counts as a covid hospitalization? Now they have to be in a separate area with more stringent care/PPE. They are spreaders! We DO need to keep up with masks and social distancing. Other countries have done this and have brought their numbers way down. We are the WORST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD for infections because we have not been consistent in trying to control this. People, we are the age group at risk!!
Updated US 7-Day Avg CASES vs DEATHS graph which highlights the cases upturn beginning around June 9. The CDC reports mean time from symptom onset to death of ~14 days. Cases are now skewing younger & milder, but still no deaths curve inflection despite the marked increase.

cases-vs-deaths-usa-jpg

No one is brushing anything aside, just looking at the data and why it shows no reason to panic. The surge is mainly composed of younger and asymptomatic cases. They aren't causing deaths to spike. Older and at risk people are still advised to be careful. Until a vaccine is developed or herd immunity is achieved, nothing will stop this virus.

I don't think you understood about ER hospitalization data. If asymptomatic or very mild symptom 35 year old goes and gets tested, they use normal precautions all testers use re PPE gear. Even if they are sent home with a prescription, which happens a lot, if they test positive they are counted as a "hospitalization"
Old 07-01-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Attachment 84909

Lot's of scary stories about surges and hospitals being overwhelmed.

Here's a graph the media won't show you. Negative results on covid 19 tests is surging.

Attachment 84910

Here's is a graph showing US socialization (cell phone data) vs hospitalization rates with dates for when unlocking began, when Floyd protests began. Slight uptick in hospitalizations found 8 to 15 days after Floyd protests began.

Attachment 84912

When you see stories about hospitals getting overwhelmed, it's not really due to surge of new cases. The new cases are predominately younger in age, most of them do not get very sick. Did you know that if a younger person goes to an ER with a cough or fever and tests positive, this counts as a hospitalization, even if he does not spend a night there. Ditto if an asymptomatic person goes to ER to get tested because his boss told him to. Also hospitals are now open for elective surgeries, postponed heart surgeries etc. They all get tested for covid, if positive you guessed it, they get marked down as a covid 19 hospitalization.

CDC graph of hospitalizations USA with age groups. You can see all hospitalizations are much lower than at the peak, and that hospitalizations of 65+ group are very small.

Attachment 84911

Moral of the story is, don't trust the media, they want to keep you scared, and most of them do not want the economy to recover "too soon" This does not mean that if you are over 65/at risk that you should go out and party. Just don't let the media push your panic buttons.
Well said !
Old 07-01-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I don't trust any station now to actually just give me the news without a bias

so....we've stopped watching and our blood pressure is down....who knew? LOL
I agree with you 100%
Old 07-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,026 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauJangles View Post
Chet Huntley and David Brinkley were NBC journalists - the best!
They reported the news they did not slant the news according to what they wanted it to be.

Would put Walter Cronkite in with them.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Why would the media wish the economy not to recover too soon? Regardless of the type of media, they depend on advertising for their own economic success. A down economy means less advertising income. Your thesis doesn’t make sense.
SHHHHH...You will ruin the narrative
Old 07-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Default THE MEDIA or is it SEEDYia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Very true. They should close the journalism schools fire the professors and start over.

I may not have the station correct but recently ABC decided not to let reporters wear lapel pins so they could objectively report. Nauseating.
I so wish all of you could see an album that a Marine Corp Colonel put together about Iraq during that crisis. His only job there was to write about Iraq, before, during, and after the crisis and his dealings with the media covering the same.

Here's on example:
The Colonel showed me a published media photo of "only 29 Iraqi people sign up to be part of the policing efforts in Iraq". It was a photo of 29 people lined up along a fence that led to the sign up location. The media emphasis was clearly on "ONLY 29 PEOPLE". The exact same situation was photographed by the Colonel but he took the photo from the second floor window. His photo did show the 29 people lined up along the fence BUT it also showed 800+ other volunteers around the corner from the fence.

Ticked off, he told the reporter you're lying about the number of volunteers. The reporter told him (the Colonel), "29 people vs 829 people will sell more papers, More drama!!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
Looks like you took the bait, hook, line, and sinker. Fake news is fake only because it's truthful. I have a wonderful parcel of land right in the heart of New York City that I can sell you really cheap. Interested? Beware of those who go through life with their eyes, hearts, and minds closed.
I’ll trade you for my bridge.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
In the villages and especially on this site there is no real news unless they agree with it !!!
Excellent observation
Old 07-01-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,026 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnadamsUSMC View Post
I so wish all of you could see an album that a Marine Corp Colonel put together about Iraq during that crisis. His only job there was to write about Iraq, before, during, and after the crisis and his dealings with the media covering the same.

Here's on example:
The Colonel showed me a published media photo of "only 29 Iraqi people sign up to be part of the policing efforts in Iraq". It was a photo of 29 people lined up along a fence that led to the sign up location. The media emphasis was clearly on "ONLY 29 PEOPLE". The exact same situation was photographed by the Colonel but he took the photo from the second floor window. His photo did show the 29 people lined up along the fence BUT it also showed 800+ other volunteers around the corner from the fence.

Ticked off, he told the reporter you're lying about the number of volunteers. The reporter told him (the Colonel), "29 people vs 829 people will sell more papers, More drama!!
During the second world war we had reporter or correspondents that were actually supporting our country and our soldiers. How sad what we have now.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospitalizations, hospitalization, hospitals, graph, began

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.