The Media is the Virus

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2020, 04:51 PM

I find this site very informative since the majority of The Villages
is in Sumter County.
4 deaths in Sumter County since May 1st.
None since May 20th.
Click the upper left to change counties.
Also about 20% of all cases are in Coleman and Sumter Co Correctional.
I think we're doing a heck of a job here.

The Villages, FL Coronavirus Information - Safety Updates, News and Tips - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by meboyle View Post
You speak the truth. Florida Dept. Of Health dashboard, has a map by county.
Touch the county and the numbers come up. I’ve been tracking this fro the beginning. The media does alarm people by not telling us the hospitalizations and death numbers. They are the important numbers. I wrote to channel six, and they were reporting those numbers now. If we write and tell them to do this, they will.
Some People don’t know they have it, some will feel like they have a cold. I’m retired, so I isolate, and wear a mask. Using sanitizer and washing my hands often has kept me safe. We don’t have to panic. Let’s be informed, and do whatever we can to be safe.
MaryAnne Boyle
Old 07-03-2020, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Attachment 84909

Lot's of scary stories about surges and hospitals being overwhelmed.

Here's a graph the media won't show you. Negative results on covid 19 tests is surging.

Attachment 84910

Here's is a graph showing US socialization (cell phone data) vs hospitalization rates with dates for when unlocking began, when Floyd protests began. Slight uptick in hospitalizations found 8 to 15 days after Floyd protests began.

Attachment 84912

When you see stories about hospitals getting overwhelmed, it's not really due to surge of new cases. The new cases are predominately younger in age, most of them do not get very sick. Did you know that if a younger person goes to an ER with a cough or fever and tests positive, this counts as a hospitalization, even if he does not spend a night there. Ditto if an asymptomatic person goes to ER to get tested because his boss told him to. Also hospitals are now open for elective surgeries, postponed heart surgeries etc. They all get tested for covid, if positive you guessed it, they get marked down as a covid 19 hospitalization.

CDC graph of hospitalizations USA with age groups. You can see all hospitalizations are much lower than at the peak, and that hospitalizations of 65+ group are very small.

Attachment 84911

Moral of the story is, don't trust the media, they want to keep you scared, and most of them do not want the economy to recover "too soon" This does not mean that if you are over 65/at risk that you should go out and party. Just don't let the media push your panic buttons.
Boy did you ever nail it .... the media is indeed the virus. Just another form of political warfare on their part.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
And just today, Arizona's Public Health agency stated that although the number of positives has gone up, Covid hospitalizations have gone down and 91% of ICU beds are empty. The MSM loves to hype and misinform because it attracts eyeballs which, in turn, drive ad revenue.. Be a wary consumer and think about the agendas being driven.
"Believe me, they know how to check the Arizona Dept of Health to get actual occupancy numbers just like I did."

I also like to go straight to the source and not depend on any news sources, but according to the ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES site yesterday, 91% of adult ICU beds are in use, not empty.

ADHS - Data Dashboard

Not saying that they are all Covid cases, but I think someone misunderstood what the 91% represented.

The good news is that it looks like they still have a little more than one-half of the state ventilators available.

In our search for where we wanted to retire, we have a number of friends that chose Arizona and we've visited the state many times, but in texting they say they are taking the recommended precautions and so far so good.

As for choosing The Villages over AZ, even the recent TV stuff that made the news hasn't changed our minds (the variety of golf and other activities win out) and we will find our TV home at some point in the near future, but our eyes are a little more open than previously.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	AZ ICU Beds.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	84999  
Old 07-03-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Attachment 84909

Lot's of scary stories about surges and hospitals being overwhelmed.

Here's a graph the media won't show you. Negative results on covid 19 tests is surging.

Attachment 84910

Here's is a graph showing US socialization (cell phone data) vs hospitalization rates with dates for when unlocking began, when Floyd protests began. Slight uptick in hospitalizations found 8 to 15 days after Floyd protests began.

Attachment 84912

When you see stories about hospitals getting overwhelmed, it's not really due to surge of new cases. The new cases are predominately younger in age, most of them do not get very sick. Did you know that if a younger person goes to an ER with a cough or fever and tests positive, this counts as a hospitalization, even if he does not spend a night there. Ditto if an asymptomatic person goes to ER to get tested because his boss told him to. Also hospitals are now open for elective surgeries, postponed heart surgeries etc. They all get tested for covid, if positive you guessed it, they get marked down as a covid 19 hospitalization.

CDC graph of hospitalizations USA with age groups. You can see all hospitalizations are much lower than at the peak, and that hospitalizations of 65+ group are very small.

Attachment 84911

Moral of the story is, don't trust the media, they want to keep you scared, and most of them do not want the economy to recover "too soon" This does not mean that if you are over 65/at risk that you should go out and party. Just don't let the media push your panic buttons.
Let me see, "the media doesn't want the economy to recover". I use to work in the media and I can tell you that they want the economy to be very robust. Why? Because they make more money! This conspiracy theory is based on the assumption that the Media is somehow a unified entity that acts in unison. The image of Media heads getting together in some smoke filled room and conspire to shape public opinion is ludicrous. The media in today's landscape of digital news and 24hr news cycle is too fragmented. This is not like the turn of the 19th century when newspapers had a lot of power in shaping opinions and political policy. Bottom line is this: the virus is real, there are more cases, it is extremely infectious and if YOU don't take precautions you will become ill and possibly die. The media has nothing to do with it.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:05 PM
Default Link for the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
A video I posted got pulled that pretty much explained a lot of what you said. It was deemed to have "political commentary".
Too bad. it was pretty interesting and food for thought

Steve
I've watched the video twice and see nothing political about it. It's a comedic skit on why the author questions why masks are so important now when they weren't in 2018 when 1.5 million people died of TB. This figure can be verified at who.int. 404.

It's an opinion. But just like Google, Twitter, etc, are cutting out controversial opinions, so apparently is Talk of the Villages. What happened to the first amendment?

I remember when homophobic rednecks were allowed to scream obscenities at Matthew Shepard's funeral and the press showed it and said "Freedom of Speech". There are so many examples of offensive protests and opinions shown on TV over the years while MSM media talked about the importance of Freedom of Speech. What's different now? No one can have an opinion questioning the use of masks? We should be free to disagree with the video, not watch it, or agree with it.

This post might be taken down but anyone can google it at DCwhispers.com, mask off.

If this post is removed, it's not because it is political.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmo King View Post
Let me see, "the media doesn't want the economy to recover". I use to work in the media and I can tell you that they want the economy to be very robust. Why? Because they make more money! This conspiracy theory is based on the assumption that the Media is somehow a unified entity that acts in unison. The image of Media heads getting together in some smoke filled room and conspire to shape public opinion is ludicrous. The media in today's landscape of digital news and 24hr news cycle is too fragmented. This is not like the turn of the 19th century when newspapers had a lot of power in shaping opinions and political policy. Bottom line is this: the virus is real, there are more cases, it is extremely infectious and if YOU don't take precautions you will become ill and possibly die. The media has nothing to do with it.
What do people do more of during a pandemic while sheltering at home? Take your time this is a toughie.

No Bias you say?

This is CNN

2008: Barrack Obama is in South Dakota today. He got a good glimpse of the majestic Mt Rushmore. It's quite a sight if you haven't seen it. It's a fitting campaign stop for a presidential contender to make history.

2016: Bernie Sanders visiting Mt Rushmore today, this monument to 4 great former Presidents.

2020: President Trump gave a divisive speech today at Mt Rushmore, a monument of two slave owners and on land wrestled away from Native Americans.”
Old 07-04-2020, 08:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
What do people do more of during a pandemic while sheltering at home? Take your time this is a toughie.

No Bias you say?

This is CNN

2008: Barrack Obama is in South Dakota today. He got a good glimpse of the majestic Mt Rushmore. It's quite a sight if you haven't seen it. It's a fitting campaign stop for a presidential contender to make history.

2016: Bernie Sanders visiting Mt Rushmore today, this monument to 4 great former Presidents.

2020: President Trump gave a divisive speech today at Mt Rushmore, a monument of two slave owners and on land wrestled away from Native Americans.”
Yep.....oh the hypocracy!!

CNN slights Mount Rushmore as '''monument of two slaveowners''' after extolling its '''majesty''' in 2016 | Fox News

Steve
Old 07-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage

I think the self-hatred and endless beating of the breast about former slave owners (Washington, Jefferson etc ) is now becoming an eye roll.

I could cite many great historical figures, and one prominent religious leader still admired by many today, who actually owned and traded slaves. But it's likely the post would be zapped so I'll leave it at that.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Here's a perfect example 8-year-old killed, 3 injured in shooting at Alabama mall

No mention at all of the color of the people involved in this tragic killing of an eight year old boy. But they sure didn't miss their chance to remind everyone that this is the same mall that a police officer shot and killed a black man in 2018.

Quote:
HOOVER, Ala. (AP) — An 8-year-old boy was killed Friday in a shooting at an Alabama shopping mall that left three other people injured, police said.

Hoover Police Chief Nick Derzis said the child was killed in the afternoon shooting at the Riverchase Galleria. The police chief said a girl and two adults were also hospitalized after the shooting.
Quote:
The mall in suburban Birmingham was the site of a 2018 police shooting where an officer fatally shot a Black man with a gun after mistaking him for the gunman in an earlier shooting at the mall.

The shooting of 21-year-old Emantic “EJ” Bradford Jr. prompted a series of protests at the mall. The Alabama attorney general’s office cleared the officer, saying he acted “reasonably under the circumstances” in the encounter that spanned approximately five seconds.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-04-2020, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

we no longer watch the news....doesn't matter which channel it's all biased news.....so we stopped. We're sleeping better now too
Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I no longer trust the media to report the truth...doesn't matter which channel you go to...everything has a bias, a spin

oh for the days of Walter Cronkite and Hunley Brinkley...they reported the news and allowed us to form our own opinions
Old 07-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmo King View Post
No one thinks it's a "conspiracy" with the smoke filled rooms. The criticism is based on the obvious ... most mainstream media are liberal in outlook, and their bias is not hard to detect. They pick a side, and want their side to win. Just watch the type of questions asked in the periodic press briefings.

They share common cultural views about what is truth, what's noble vs not.

Of course the virus is real. But the panicky coverage is the issue, and the media said essentially zero when protestors were packed shoulder to shoulder. That's probably why things are spiking actrually.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:

No Bias you say?

This is CNN

The use of the term "divisive" is both obvious and revealing. If the America we grew up with is defended, that's "divisive."

On the other hand, if you talk positively about toppling statues, spending all day protesting one issue after another, yelling in cops' faces, or ignoring black on black crime, that's apparently unifying.

It's all about the new BLM-based "1619 based culture" defeating and replacing the "culture of 1776" so to speak.

Language is the primary weapon used in the culture war.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
The use of the term "divisive" is both obvious and revealing. If the America we grew up with is defended, that's "divisive."

On the other hand, if you talk positively about toppling statues, spending all day protesting one issue after another, yelling in cops' faces, or ignoring black on black crime, that's apparently unifying.

It's all about the new BLM-based "1619 based culture" defeating and replacing the "culture of 1776" so to speak.

Language is the primary weapon used in the culture war....
I have to laugh at those who support this "1619 Project" and say it's when the US started. Apparently they were never taught that in 1619, the British were the ones in the eastern part of North America, the Spanish controlled much of the southeast, the French what is now Canada, etc. The US was not even a pipe dream then. Seems to me the beef ought to be with the aformentioned countries. But what do you expect when history is no longer taught in school.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I have to laugh at those who support this "1619 Project" and say it's when the US started. Apparently they were never taught that in 1619, the British were the ones in the eastern part of North America, the Spanish controlled much of the southeast, the French what is now Canada, etc. The US was not even a pipe dream then. Seems to me the beef ought to be with the aformentioned countries. But what do you expect when history is no longer taught in school.
I totally agree. The whole "1619 Project" is not only blindingly ignorant, it's blatant propaganda masquerading as some type of genius insight. If it wasn't so sad, it would be comical.

Tags
hospitalizations, hospitalization, hospitals, graph, began

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.