The Media is the Virus

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2020, 06:53 PM

Let's pretend what we see inside the overflowing ICUs isn't real. Wear a mask.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:30 AM

The thesis makes perfect sense.
Bland reading does not sell. Sensationalized reading does. The actual definition of sensationalize is:
1. (Especially of a newspaper) present information about (something) in a way that
provokes public interest and excitement, at the expense of accuracy.

That is the actual definition that appeared when I wanted to make sure I had the spelling correct. The def specifically refers to newspapers and why they do it.

Thus.....as we all know....the more the pot is stirred, the more the attention, the more the
attention....the more papers are sold.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:59 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
Let's pretend what we see inside the overflowing ICUs isn't real. Wear a mask.
OK, look. The ICU's are not overflowing with Covid cases. They are the usual cases that generally end up in the ICU. Heart attacks, strokes, cancer, accidents, etc. Remember, most hospitals could not do so-called elective surgery until recently plus people were scared to go in even if they had issues, so of course the ICU's have filled up.

As to wearing a mask, yes. When in an inside space where you cannot social distance, protect yourself and give courtesy to fellow humans.

When outside or in your car or cart? No need as long as you can social distance.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Default The media reports facts!

The media is not the enemy. Reporting facts is not trying to scare people. This virus is deadly and dangerous. It’s not the media saying that the virus is “totally harmless to 99% of people “ who contract it. That is a very harmful lie that may cost lives if anyone is foolish enough to believe it. The fact is that this virus is a clear and present danger. We also know nothing about the long term consequences of contracting the virus. It may, like viruses that cause hepatitis, be something that has lifelong detrimental consequences to one’s health, even young people who don’t suffer adverse effects now.
This attacking of the messenger, the “media”, is not helpful to anyone.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowprint View Post
The media is not the enemy. Reporting facts is not trying to scare people. This virus is deadly and dangerous. It’s not the media saying that the virus is “totally harmless to 99% of people “ who contract it. That is a very harmful lie that may cost lives if anyone is foolish enough to believe it. The fact is that this virus is a clear and present danger. We also know nothing about the long term consequences of contracting the virus. It may, like viruses that cause hepatitis, be something that has lifelong detrimental consequences to one’s health, even young people who don’t suffer adverse effects now.
Sometimes, as you may be aware, posters on here simply repeat what they are told.

Has become archaic to read and check facts.

Dangerous, but....
Old 07-06-2020, 09:14 PM
Veteran member

Keisha Lance Bottoms, the Mayor of Atlanta, has tested positive for Covid-19.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
Keisha Lance Bottoms, the Mayor of Atlanta, has tested positive for Covid-19.
So what.

Steve
Old 07-06-2020, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
So what.

Steve
The family of that little 8 year old girl who was shot and killed was at Bottom's press conference yesterday. They don't need this worry, too.

It is a shame what is happening there.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
The family of that little 8 year old girl who was shot and killed was at Bottom's press conference yesterday. They don't need this worry, too.

It is a shame what is happening there.
I've got nothing good to say about that mayor.
My prayers are surely with the family of that little girl!

Steve
Old 07-06-2020, 10:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
I've got nothing good to say about that mayor.
My prayers are surly with the family of that little girl!

Steve
I have to agree. I've not been impressed with that mayor and I hate what is happening to that city. We were actually working on plans to visit Atlanta right before this whole Covid-19 thing. I can not how believe how bad it has gotten there. It's crazy that could happen.

My prayers are definitely with the family of that little girl.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:48 PM
Veteran member

I'm sure this is just a coincidence, of course, but Gov Kemp has authorized the calling in of 1,000 National Guard to protect public buildings including the governor's mansion (I assume the Mayor's house as well?). That will free up state law enforcement agencies to patrol other areas. Mayor Bottoms daughter said that she wanted to go to Mars - smart kid.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Read an interesting science article on Apple News today from the WAPO ( was actually non-political). The virus has mutated and is now the predominant strain across the US. What happened is a portion of it's genetic code linked to how it attaches itself to your cells mutated to make it easier and therefore much more infectious.

Several research groups have confirmed this. BUT, this mutation, while causing a significant increase in infection rates, is not causing any increase in severity.

In otherwords, what we are seeing now with the rising positive rates is consistent with this mutation which is predominantly in America. This does not mean we will see a rise in deaths. It MAY mean we will get closer to herd immunity.

This virus mutation has taken over the world. Scientists are trying to understand why.
......and it may not.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...483-5/fulltext
Old 07-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I read nothing in the article that contradicted my post. In fact, the authors point out the lack of testing people under age 29 which is the fastest growing demographic for asymtomatic tests. And again, if Spain has not yet reached an overall 30% herd immunity that does not refute the study that the virus has mutated.

We will know much more in a couple weeks.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowprint View Post
Sometimes the media in fact does report facts. Sometimes it only reports "facts" the way they want them to be. On second thought should change sometimes to most of the time these days.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
I have to agree. I've not been impressed with that mayor and I hate what is happening to that city. We were actually working on plans to visit Atlanta right before this whole Covid-19 thing. I can not how believe how bad it has gotten there. It's crazy that could happen.

My prayers are definitely with the family of that little girl.
I wonder if the mayor has now had a change of heart about what is going on
Closed Thread

Tags
hospitalizations, hospitalization, hospitals, graph, began

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.