New Branding for Aunt Jemima

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2020, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Default New Branding for Aunt Jemima

What? I can not believe what I just read. This can't be happening..........

After 130 Years, Aunt Jemima Will Vanish From Packaging | Georgia Public Broadcasting
Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

I would imagine that Uncle Ben's days are numbered too..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

The stupidity is not ending.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Can't be happening

Why does this surprise you?

I think The Onion faux news site saw it for what it is. Here's a slice of that report:

"In response to nationwide protests regarding police brutality and racial discrimination, food conglomerate Quaker Oats announced Friday that after 130 years, it would replace its historically racist Aunt Jemima mascot with a black female lawyer who enjoys pancakes from time to time. “The time has come to replace Jemima, a problematic and stereotypical character that originated in minstrel shows, with Sheila, the public defender of cultivated tastes who eats pancakes on occasion, in addition to a variety of other foods,”
Old 06-17-2020, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

The world is going Qwackers!
Old 06-17-2020, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

From relocating statues and monuments of traitorous, racist losers... to the removal of denigrating racial stereotypes?

PLUS
...appropriate apologies?

What a great start!
Old 06-17-2020, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Hopefully people stop buying the new brand and they have no choice but to reinstate Aunt Jemima.

BTW I am not happy with Uncle Ben can we start a protest against his rice?
Old 06-17-2020, 01:41 PM
Veteran member
Default Uncle

The parent company says they are considering changes. Perhaps the new face of rice will be Uncle Fester.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I would imagine that Uncle Ben's days are numbered too..
If they change it to Uncle Sam's..... I'll still buy it. It does make one wonder what some brands will be changed to...... How about "Fruit Loops" ? I think the "San Francisco treat" is taken already.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default I think we might be on the same side???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
From relocating statues and monuments of traitorous, racist losers... to the removal of denigrating racial stereotypes?

PLUS
...appropriate apologies?

What a great start!
Dear CNM,
I think we may be on the same side of the bigger issue here, but our points of reference might be a little different.
First, I agree that statues are more useful in a museum setting where they provide a means of exploring our history, both the good and bad along with the context of the times.
Stereotypes is where we have a hiccup. To me, stereotypes are caricatures. No, they are not generally flattering, but those caricatures are often used buy comedians of various ethnic groups to tease that group that they themselves represent. It forces us, whatever color, religion, etc to look at ourselves in a less threatening way.
As to Aunt Jamima and Uncle Ben, They were around when I was a small child with no understanding of race. To me, they were good people providing good food for my family and me. Because of where I lived and how I was raised it is hard to recognize them as "bad". But, apparently, someone does.
For example, when you see a spider or snake are you revolted, or are you interested in the beautiful colors and patterns on its body? Does the fact that the spider can spin a beautiful web of fine silk that is stronger than steel interest or excite your curiosity, or do you find it "gross"? My point is that it is not always easy, or even possible, to understand why some people think or feel the way they do. To "walk a mile in another mans shoes" sounds good but is not often possible.
Let's continue the conversation in hopes of finding some common ground to build on.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Hopefully people stop buying the new brand and they have no choice but to reinstate Aunt Jemima.

BTW I am not happy with Uncle Ben can we start a protest against his rice?

That crap is a heart attack in a bottle.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

It appears that retail better get busy and come up with a catchy new name for 'Black Friday'...ya can stick a fork in that one....
Old 06-17-2020, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Dear CNM,
I think we may be on the same side of the bigger issue here, but our points of reference might be a little different.
First, I agree that statues are more useful in a museum setting where they provide a means of exploring our history, both the good and bad along with the context of the times.
Stereotypes is where we have a hiccup. To me, stereotypes are caricatures. No, they are not generally flattering, but those caricatures are often used buy comedians of various ethnic groups to tease that group that they themselves represent. It forces us, whatever color, religion, etc to look at ourselves in a less threatening way.
As to Aunt Jamima and Uncle Ben, They were around when I was a small child with no understanding of race. To me, they were good people providing good food for my family and me. Because of where I lived and how I was raised it is hard to recognize them as "bad". But, apparently, someone does.
For example, when you see a spider or snake are you revolted, or are you interested in the beautiful colors and patterns on its body? Does the fact that the spider can spin a beautiful web of fine silk that is stronger than steel interest or excite your curiosity, or do you find it "gross"? My point is that it is not always easy, or even possible, to understand why some people think or feel the way they do.

To "walk a mile in another mans shoes" sounds good but is not often possible.

Let's continue the conversation in hopes of finding some common ground to build on.
First of all, I want to say that I appreciate the vein and tone (or at least my interpretation of it) in your response.

I do however, disagree on one major point you've made.

That being..."To walk a mile in another mans shoes, sounds good but is not often possible."

While I, of course, agree in the literal sense...I disagree in a general sense.

Where I believe we diverge, is in that as reasonable people, we can/should at least make an effort...to think about what it would be like in someone else's shoes.

I also firmly believe, that if more people would just try and make that effort...our divided world would close measurably.

Seeing things through other people's eyes, allows us to view those items/issues that WE maybe don't believe should be such a big deal...why they ARE a big deal to others.

While the history or connotations aren't even in the same universe, much less category, I think we can agree that a box of 'saltine/white crackers' that showed a stereotype of a poor white person (with raggedy clothes/confederate flag/a trailer/truck on blocks/cig hanging from lips)...would be offensive to a lot of people.

And rightfully so.

Again, I thank you for your thoughtful/respectful post and the desire...to find some common ground to work from.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:55 PM

It'll never end. The cat's out of the bag and no one will be able to put it back in.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
It'll never end. The cat's out of the bag and no one will be able to put it back in.
Hopefully!

Closed Thread

Tags
happening, read, branding, jemima, aunt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.