New Jersey Pit Bull attack.

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2021, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Statistically, the odds of a pitbull killing someone are the same as a child dying from Covid.
OK. And in BOTH situations they are issues that could HAVE BEEN eliminated by some thoughtful US-wide coordinated response and problem-solving. Another similarity is that both problems, likely will NOT be solved in the near future, if ever! Also, many other counties HAVE solved BOTH problems.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydancer View Post
All bull terriers are NOT alike. For 14 years I had a British Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This breed has never been any good at fighting in a pit. He was the sweetest, soppy-est , most loving animal I have ever had.
The name Pit Bull comes from dog fighting which does not happen in Britain, the Brits do not think it is at all cool. Please do not call all Bull Terriers "Pit Bulls" They are not all bred or mistreated to make them mean enough for fighting in the "pit"
and many have not.

So you believe in all of England all bull terrier breeds are pussycats.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

We have an American Staffy mix and she is very sweet. She would make the worst watch dog ever because she loves people and has never met a stranger. She is probably the least aggressive dog that I have ever known and that includes our sweet Golden Retriever who passed away earlier this year. Our Golden used to bark when someone came to the door, our Staffy mix just wiggles and smiles.

We got her as young puppy and at first we thought that she was a lab. I'm not sure that I would have agreed to bring her home if I had known at the time that she was mostly Staffy because I had heard so many "dangerous pit bull" stories and we had elementary school age kids who always had friends over. At any rate, she grew up around lots of kids and people of all age ranges. She is a sturdy little thing, quiet, never yappy, not high strung, snuggly, sweet. I honestly can not comprehend what someone would have to do to this breed to create a dangerous animal because Staffys are naturally very sweet and loving towards people.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

American Staffordshire Terrier - Wikipedia

I did know a pooch that looked like this breed named Gypsy who was one of the gentlest dogs in Lynnhaven and at Doggie Doo Run Run. Showed up in its Lynnhaven owner's yard one day so Ben named it Gypsy. Ben passed eventually and I think Gypsy went to Ben's son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
We have an American Staffy mix and she is very sweet. She would make the worst watch dog ever because she loves people and has never met a stranger. She is probably the least aggressive dog that I have ever known and that includes our sweet Golden Retriever who passed away earlier this year. Our Golden used to bark when someone came to the door, our Staffy mix just wiggles and smiles.

We got her as young puppy and at first we thought that she was a lab. I'm not sure that I would have agreed to bring her home if I had known at the time that she was mostly Staffy because I had heard so many "dangerous pit bull" stories and we had elementary school age kids who always had friends over. At any rate, she grew up around lots of kids and people of all age ranges. She is a sturdy little thing, quiet, never yappy, not high strung, snuggly, sweet. I honestly can not comprehend what someone would have to do to this breed to create a dangerous animal because Staffys are naturally very sweet and loving towards people.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:45 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Animals are bred to have particular characteristics. In general if a breed is bred to be aggressive the individuals within that breed will tend to be aggressive.

This was an interesting experiment in breeding for domesticity in silver foxes. Domesticated silver fox - Wikipedia

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
pit, dog, jersey, attack, bull

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.