New Jersey Pit Bull attack.

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2021, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

I will have to say that if you have a dog that is known to snap they should be wearing a muzzle when they go out. And I disagree that it's the humans fault because dogs are animals . But there are a lot more violent humans than there are dogs and I worry about some of my neighbors
Old 09-18-2021, 06:46 AM

We saw two pit bulls attack a pony with a 10-year old child on its back. One latched onto the horse’s juggular and the other its underbelly. The only thing that got those dogs to release was a fireman’s hose spraying them straight on. The horse died, and the child was terribly traumatised. Can you imagine the PTSD she suffered?
Old 09-18-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
In general, pit bulls should be outlawed in the US, since dogfighting is history and was a stone-age throwback set up for an audience of sadistic neanderthals. Today junkyard owners actually feed gun powder to their guard dogs (like pit bulls) to make them crazy and aggressive. Today there are SO, SO many breeds of dogs to chose from - why mess with a potential lawsuit from a breed that has historically been violent and has bitten SO many Americans and their children. Many children need plastic surgery on their faces from pit bull attacks. I practically regurgitate when I see an older man or woman walking a pit bull - often without human control. It's ALL very unnecessary.
Your ignorance of pit bulls overfloweth. I own three. They are as gentle as any other dog. My grand kids play with them and have not been eaten; mostly licked and tickled. You really shouldn't espouse [false] information about a subject you clearly know nothing about. They are gentle animals unless trained otherwise. The fact that some are trained to be aggressive does not reflect on the entire breed.

In a similar vein, we are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few. Yet, we are expected to judge all pit bull (or gun) owners by the actions of a few.

This is not a political statement. This is simply highlighting hypocrisy. If there is hypocrisy in politics, I can't help that. It's everywhere. We are told to get the vaccine not for ourselves but to do it for our family, friends and neighbors. Yet, we are simultaneously told to support de-funding the police in total disregard for the safety of our family, friends and neighbors.

Hypocrisy is what I am discussing. It's disgusting and I'm sick of it.
And, I'm not wearing the damn mask.
Majority doesn't rule here. My body, my choice. Get over it.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
There is almost always more to the story than the breed. Any breed can become vicious in the right (wrong?) circumstances.

"Pit Bulls" get a lot of bad press, but in general they are very gentle pets. For years in AZ my wife and I walked dogs at the animal shelter, and I normally got the pit bulls because other volunteers were afraid to walk them. My experience was even the most angry pit bulls were all most always angry at other dogs, and not at people. They really like people. Once I had them away from the other dogs (in cages) they were happy to be out walking and very friendly.
You are on the money. I volunteered at a shelter near Chicago for 5 years and never had an issue between a Pit and a person. I did see issues between some Pits and and other dogs and when that happens you have to be careful but I never saw an issue with people.
I had a flat coat retriever (one of the nicest breeds) who was a fear biter & required life long management around people. The only dog I ever had show me all their teeth and threatened me (out of fear) was a Jack Russel terrier. Naturally it's the big dogs with the power who have the ability to do bad damage but all dogs bite.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

My dog was attacked by a Pit Bull, a vicious attack. My dog got away from it twice, but she wasn't going to stop until she killed him. She attacked from behind. My dog didn't give her the stink eye or anything. It was horrifying. Fortunately the dog's owner was able to get her under control. "It's not the dog, it's the owner" is a load of crap. All breeds have bad owners...... a few breeds kill, one breed way more than the others. Owning one is like playing Russian Roulette..... 5 chambers are empty, one will kill you. They are great dogs until they aren't. Every time one kills a human or a dog, the neighbors say the dog was sweet... or something similar. My dog was okay, the owner was lovely and paid the vet bills.In the 13-year period of January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2017, canines killed at least 433 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% of these deaths. Rottweilers, the second leading canine killer, inflicted 10% of attacks that resulted in human death. Combined, two dog breeds accounted for 76% of the total recorded deaths.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
My dog was attacked by a Pit Bull, a vicious attack. My dog got away from it twice, but she wasn't going to stop until she killed him. She attacked from behind. My dog didn't give her the stink eye or anything. It was horrifying. Fortunately the dog's owner was able to get her under control. "It's not the dog, it's the owner" is a load of crap. All breeds have bad owners...... a few breeds kill, one breed way more than the others. Owning one is like playing Russian Roulette..... 5 chambers are empty, one will kill you. They are great dogs until they aren't. Every time one kills a human or a dog, the neighbors say the dog was sweet... or something similar. My dog was okay, the owner was lovely and paid the vet bills.In the 13-year period of January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2017, canines killed at least 433 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% of these deaths. Rottweilers, the second leading canine killer, inflicted 10% of attacks that resulted in human death. Combined, two dog breeds accounted for 76% of the total recorded deaths.
Again, the other factor is that Pitfalls are used more than any other breed for dog fighting. When am fighter is not a winner they are often just abandoned. When most pit bulls were trained to fight and kill, is it surprising that many of them act out when they shouldn't?

It is easy to simply blame the breed, but it is more about the dogs background than breed.

Just a side note, 100% of murders are committed by humans - that says something about that breed too.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Pit Bull Viciously Attacks Owners Leaving Serious Injuries

I have met dozens of pit bulls here in the Villages over the past 16 years and most of these are quite gentle but once in a while there is an attack like this one in New Jersey.

Lumping 4 breeds together though with the handle pit bull and then expected them to all be dangerous is a stretch. Types of Pitbulls: Differences, Appearances, Traits & Pictures.

And a lot depends on the dog owner and how much common sense he or she has about their dog. Like not taking it to a dog park unless they have a good idea what it will do there.
Pit bulls, aka “dogs of peace”.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts
Default Pit bulls

Quote:
In general, pit bulls should be outlawed in the US, since dogfighting is history and was a stone-age throwback set up for an audience of sadistic neanderthals. Today junkyard owners actually feed gun powder to their guard dogs (like pit bulls) to make them crazy and aggressive. Today there are SO, SO many breeds of dogs to chose from - why mess with a potential lawsuit from a breed that has historically been violent and has bitten SO many Americans and their children. Many children need plastic surgery on their faces from pit bull attacks. I practically regurgitate when I see an older man or woman walking a pit bull - often without human control. It's ALL very unnecessary.
Pit bulls, like the dog in “the little rascals,” are strong, intelligent and courageous. They were known to be faithful and loyal. I have seen both the good and the bad. What happened to pit bulls are violent, mean or negligent people and the dogs suffer for it.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
Your ignorance of pit bulls overfloweth. I own three. They are as gentle as any other dog. My grand kids play with them and have not been eaten; mostly licked and tickled. You really shouldn't espouse [false] information about a subject you clearly know nothing about. They are gentle animals unless trained otherwise. The fact that some are trained to be aggressive does not reflect on the entire breed.

In a similar vein, we are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few. Yet, we are expected to judge all pit bull (or gun) owners by the actions of a few.

This is not a political statement. This is simply highlighting hypocrisy. If there is hypocrisy in politics, I can't help that. It's everywhere. We are told to get the vaccine not for ourselves but to do it for our family, friends and neighbors. Yet, we are simultaneously told to support de-funding the police in total disregard for the safety of our family, friends and neighbors.

Hypocrisy is what I am discussing. It's disgusting and I'm sick of it.
Can't help it I have to say something!!

My comment is NOT about your Pit Bull Comments because I basically agree with you. My comment is regarding your tag or whatever they call it about vaccines and it is simply this: I will not argue with you about your stance because I do not argue with a fool because I never would want to be in the same category as you on this subject.

I can tell you that the vaccine WORKS! I was recently exposed to someone had been vaccinated, got sick while we were deployed on a Disaster Recovery Mission who got sick and later tested positive. He had an adult child tested positive but he had not seen her in over two weeks so he likely got it elsewhere. There were 10 of us exposed all who had been vaccinated about 6 -8 months ago with three of us (all well over 65) two of whom had had both vaccines and one who had one shot who all exhibited COVID symptoms within a couple of days of our exposure. Fortunately, the significant symptoms only lasted less than 24 hours and were primarily chills and aches and maybe fevers. None of the three of us tested positive 3 days later. Don't know about rest of team but I'm sure had anyone else tested positive we would have been notified.

My answer and reason for commenting on your position is that our vaccines worked and took care of the virus. Had we not had it there is every reasonable expectation that our illness would have progressed to full-blown Covid. Am sure my thoughts and experience will not sway you but, if you continue to refuse to be vaccinated or wear a mask at least have the decency to crawl into a hole somewhere and stay away from the rest of us and DO
NOT GO TO THE ER IF AND WHEN YOU GET SICK. Leave the bed open for someone who needs it through no fault of their own. Maybe you can get a group of your disciples to join you and start a new club in the villages so you could at least just infect one another.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:55 AM

My husband was badly bitten by a black lab. Still dislike pit bulls.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:00 AM

I didnt see this part addressed. Most home insurance policies prohibit certain breeds of dogs. Pits, and a list of others, are included. And any mix of the prohibited breeds. In some cases "prohibit" just means you are on your own if anything happens or anyone sues you for anything relating to the dog. But it can also be cause for insurance cancellation if you are found in violation. We have Progressive here, and LLoyds in Ma. Both exclude a list, shown in their Homeowners policy. Don't assume that if you dont see it, in your policy then the exclusions dont exist! We have 2 Residential properties (they are rentals) in the new section. Also have Progressive Ins. Their policies do not specifically exclude certain dogs. But according to their underwriters, they are still prohibited.If you are found to have tenants with one of these - or any mix - the insurance company can cancel your policy for that reason and you may have trouble finding another insurer. And if you say that "well, the tenant has to get their own insurance and that will take care of it", I'm told No. You own the property and fault/liability can pass thru to you. I recently turned down an applicant we really wanted, but had a pit-mix. Supposedly very sweet. They told me they had never heard of this and had never been tuned down for it before. Not surprised. I suspect a lot of people havent. Especially "landlords". We've had tenants for the last 30 yrs and only learned of this recently. But i could have caused myself endless problems if i had rented to them and the insurance company found out.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I guess I could agree with the idea that it is NOT the individual dog's fault that he/she was born a pit bull. If you divide 185 by 480 you get 38 %. So, 39% of all human deaths due to being mauled are caused by ONE, (ONE) BREED - that seems significant enough to me to justify my post. Since the pit bulls that you walked were already born and in the US - then I am glad that someone, like yourself, walks them, that's an empathetic thing. I would like them to NEVER be bred in the US in the 1st place, so no pain to them individually. Just 185 more US citizens get to LIVE. My Springer Spaniels could hardly maul a rabbit! I have also had German Shepards. I also had a friend whose Great Dane would hurt humans by hitting them with his wagging tail, but I doubt that he would hurt a human on purpose.
[U][U]
Treating Aggression in Springer Spaniels

Although “rage syndrome” can be found in any dog breed, it is more common in English Springer Spaniels; it is simply the presentation of aggression and it does not help us figure out what the underlying cause is.

Many dog breeds can be aggressive. Yes, even your Springer Spaniel. I have had a Pit for several years, not my choice of dog but I inherited him from my Iraq veteran son. He was his companion and he’s going nowhere. He adores all humans and they adore him. I admit I’m nervous around other animals but he is leashed at all times so there has never been an incident with other dogs. As for your Springer Spaniel, chihuahuas, Jack Russel, etc. the potential is always there. I have never seen aggression from my pit to another human but I can’t count the times some of the previous breeds have shown aggression around me. Breed specific condemnation or banning is wrong and should never be used. My veterinarian said studies show Cocker Spaniels are one of the most aggressive to humans. Same for Springer Spaniels. See the following quote. Should Springer Spaniels be banned?
Old 09-18-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Most dogs that lower their heads and front half to another dog are showing play mode.
Alpha stance is upright and full on.
Having said that, still wise to give unknown dogs a wide birth until you are confident with them.
Most of my bad experiences with stroppy dogs, have always been with the small ones punching above their weight.
Than your God Chihuahua's were born small!
You are so right. Chihuahuas and many smaller dogs seem to all have “little man syndrome.”
Old 09-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan55 View Post
You are so right. Chihuahuas and many smaller dogs seem to all have “little man syndrome.”
I have a chihuahua/terrier and he does have a Napoleonic streak. He has no idea about his size.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-19-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:03 PM
Default Do the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Between 2010 and 2021 there were 480 fatal dog bites in the US. of those 185 were from pitbulls.

it is not the dogs fault, it is the owners. When a dog mauls a person the OWNER should be punished. The dogs are simply the product of their environment.
Pit Bulls comprise 4% of the dog population, but commit 30% of all maulings. Do the math.......the same can be said for certain types of humans too......do the math.
Closed Thread

Tags
pit, dog, jersey, attack, bull

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.