New Jersey Pit Bull attack.

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2021, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

The thing about pits isn't that they bite more than any other breed. It's when they DO bite, they tend to latch on. Most other breeds don't latch. This is a behavioral trait, and not any physiological trait (they don't "lock their jaws" in other words).

There exists no breed that is "known to not ever bite." Every breed has biters. But some of the bites tend to be more painful, or more risky, than others. That's it. That's the only difference between a pit-bull biting someone and any other breed biting someone. And even that can be trained out of them if the trainer starts immediately while the dog is a young puppy (in the first 6 months) and continues throughout their young life.

Most pits I've ever encountered were tolerant, if not actually friendly, and the two guard dogs whose actual jobs were to BE guard dogs, were absolutely docile and friendly once I was "formally" introduced to them by their owner. That was a former employer, and his dogs were rescues from a dogfighting operation. One was a bait dog, the other was a stud and the bait dog's best friend. You definitely didn't want to be a burglar in that building. But if you were a "friend" (formally, as part of training) of the owner, you could come and go any time of day or night, with or without the owner present, and they'd treat you like their pals.

Chihauhuas on the other hand - totally other story. I've met one, ever, that I could tolerate. The others were a bunch of yapping nippers. Nasty little things, they probably have such sour dispositions because they look like rats.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:22 PM

Pit Bulls were once forbidden in The Villages, Developer got lack, should be banned again. Want a animal like that, then maybe live in the country!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
Pit Bulls were once forbidden in The Villages, Developer got lack, should be banned again. Want a animal like that, then maybe live in the country!
As a non pit bull owner, and with "no dog in the fight" as they say in the south, I am curious as the benefit of owning pit bull when based on their statistical reputation surely there are other dog options, such as labs etc.
Being neutral on this subject, if I were to get a large dog, Pit's would not be on the list. Just trying to understand what myself and others are missing here regarding how the benefits offset the potential downside. Thank you
Old 09-18-2021, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGary View Post
As a non pit bull owner, and with "no dog in the fight" as they say in the south, I am curious as the benefit of owning pit bull when based on their statistical reputation surely there are other dog options, such as labs etc.
Being neutral on this subject, if I were to get a large dog, Pit's would not be on the list. Just trying to understand what myself and others are missing here regarding how the benefits offset the potential downside. Thank you
There's no benefit to owning a pit bull any more than there's a benefit to owning a german shepard, or a great dane, or a full size poodle or collie, in the Villages. I'd ask - what's the benefit to owning a a chihuahua? They're ugly, they're high-strung, they demand constant attention, are not naturally socialized and need to be trained, often suffer from separation anxiety, need a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise (not just walking, actual exercise) every single day, easily get dislocated kneecaps, commonly have gum disease and have to have dental checkups yearly...

I mean if you're going to go through all that trouble for a pet, just go all out and adopt a baby. At least with a baby there's a chance it'll grow up and contribute something useful to the world.

See - I can come up with a whole diatribe on ANY breed, asking the question "why would anyone want to have..."?

I prefer larger dogs. Not great danes though, or dalmations. Never was fond of that shape at all. But give me a german shepard, or a doberman, or husky - and I'm a happy camper. Had a friend with a Great Pyrenees and that gorgeous boy melted me with his love every time I saw him.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan55 View Post
You are so right. Chihuahuas and many smaller dogs seem to all have “little man syndrome.”
But, I can kick the chihuahua away. It may clamp down on my leg and break the skin. On the other hand pit will clamp down and shred my leg. I can beat on his head and it will NOT let go. So you comparison is no where close to what could happen.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There's no benefit to owning a pit bull any more than there's a benefit to owning a german shepard, or a great dane, or a full size poodle or collie, in the Villages. I'd ask - what's the benefit to owning a a chihuahua? They're ugly, they're high-strung, they demand constant attention, are not naturally socialized and need to be trained, often suffer from separation anxiety, need a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise (not just walking, actual exercise) every single day, easily get dislocated kneecaps, commonly have gum disease and have to have dental checkups yearly...

I mean if you're going to go through all that trouble for a pet, just go all out and adopt a baby. At least with a baby there's a chance it'll grow up and contribute something useful to the world.

See - I can come up with a whole diatribe on ANY breed, asking the question "why would anyone want to have..."?

I prefer larger dogs. Not great danes though, or dalmations. Never was fond of that shape at all. But give me a german shepard, or a doberman, or husky - and I'm a happy camper. Had a friend with a Great Pyrenees and that gorgeous boy melted me with his love every time I saw him.
I’d say the benefit would be liability owning pit. Heavily insured that is. Yapping nippers’ not going to tear you leg off.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
In general, pit bulls should be outlawed in the US, since dogfighting is history and was a stone-age throwback set up for an audience of sadistic neanderthals. Today junkyard owners actually feed gun powder to their guard dogs (like pit bulls) to make them crazy and aggressive. Today there are SO, SO many breeds of dogs to chose from - why mess with a potential lawsuit from a breed that has historically been violent and has bitten SO many Americans and their children. Many children need plastic surgery on their faces from pit bull attacks. I practically regurgitate when I see an older man or woman walking a pit bull - often without human control. It's ALL very unnecessary.
All bull terriers are NOT alike. For 14 years I had a British Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This breed has never been any good at fighting in a pit. He was the sweetest, soppy-est , most loving animal I have ever had.
The name Pit Bull comes from dog fighting which does not happen in Britain, the Brits do not think it is at all cool. Please do not call all Bull Terriers "Pit Bulls" They are not all bred or mistreated to make them mean enough for fighting in the "pit"
Old 09-20-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
In general, pit bulls should be outlawed in the US, since dogfighting is history and was a stone-age throwback set up for an audience of sadistic neanderthals. Today junkyard owners actually feed gun powder to their guard dogs (like pit bulls) to make them crazy and aggressive. Today there are SO, SO many breeds of dogs to chose from - why mess with a potential lawsuit from a breed that has historically been violent and has bitten SO many Americans and their children. Many children need plastic surgery on their faces from pit bull attacks. I practically regurgitate when I see an older man or woman walking a pit bull - often without human control. It's ALL very unnecessary.
You are so right. Violently trained dogs should be euthanized. I guess that should include police dogs and military dogs as well. After all they do attach humans and the majority of them are not Pitt Bulls. Everyone knows it's not their training, it's their nature.
While we're at it destroy all cars. They kill around 50,000 people a year and we know it's not the driver. Of course we can use the same logic for guns, alcohol and drugs. Never, ever blame the person who trains the dog, drives the car, uses the gun, etc. After all people are so perfect and responsibility where it belongs is such a silly thing to consider.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Had a friend with a Great Pyrenees and that gorgeous boy melted me with his love every time I saw him.
Our two girls are Australian Shepherd / Great Pyrenees mixes. One favors her Aussie dad more, the other her Great Pyrenees mother but still look and act very similarly. Beautiful loving dogs for sure!!
Old 09-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

The Villages is no place for a Pit Bull IMHO. I see many large dogs that also “seem out of place” in a retirement community like The Villages. Many retirement communities limit dogs to 30 or 35 pounds and that seems reasonable to me. Of course, exceptions are trained certified service dogs. Until we retired and moved to The villages we had dogs and they were part of the family but we also had adequate “space” for them on our properties. We loved our family dogs but if there was any “conflict” always people and neighbors before dogs.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:20 PM

Statistically, the odds of a pitbull killing someone are the same as a child dying from Covid.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGary View Post
As a breed. I believe would prefer to have a Lab at my side rather than a Pit Bull if I were attacked by a human. Labs are bigger and more mentally stable than most Pit Bulls or show breeds. So, I think the Lab would be more "courageous" in defending their master. They are smarter than most breeds. The Pit Bull might get confused. Now, if I were attacked by another dog or a small child, the Pit Bull might be the better option.
Plus, IMO the Pit Bull is WAY ugly. The Lab has an intelligent and almost regal look about him.
I agree that, early on, the developers were correct - mixing junkyard dogs and fragile old human beings is a bad, illogical mix!

Last edited by jimjamuser; 09-21-2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-21-2021, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
But, I can kick the chihuahua away. It may clamp down on my leg and break the skin. On the other hand pit will clamp down and shred my leg. I can beat on his head and it will NOT let go. So you comparison is no where close to what could happen.
I agree with the contents or (DOGtents) of this post.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:24 PM
Sage

Quote:

Huskys are great! I had a neighbor's Greater Pyrenees female that would come and visit me often on my one acre up North. It was about a year old and not yet too mature. Once it got curious and put its head into a metal bucket that was sitting around. Her head got stuck in the bucket. I was NOT carrying my cell phone at the time - too bad THAT would have been a classic video! I had to stop laughing, run after her, and dislodge the bucket. She looked at me.....like WHAT? ......WHAT happened there....what up with dat?
Another story about her was that it was impossible almost to walk ANY straight line around her. She would try to HERD all people by rubbing against their knee as they walked. At 1st I thought it was just a friendly dog-thing. Wrong, I was being herded. I finally had to carry a shovel whenever I walked around her. I would pop the shovel against her head with mild force so that I could walk a straight line to somewhere. Some may say that I was being cruel, but that dog breed is SO TOUGH that she barely noticed. It was like I had to accept the dog's nature to herd and the dog knew to accept MY nature to want to walk where I chose to go. We achieved something simpatico.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
You are so right. Violently trained dogs should be euthanized. I guess that should include police dogs and military dogs as well. After all they do attach humans and the majority of them are not Pitt Bulls. Everyone knows it's not their training, it's their nature.
While we're at it destroy all cars. They kill around 50,000 people a year and we know it's not the driver. Of course we can use the same logic for guns, alcohol and drugs. Never, ever blame the person who trains the dog, drives the car, uses the gun, etc. After all people are so perfect and responsibility where it belongs is such a silly thing to consider.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
The owner may have really been responsible for the Pit Bulls killing or disfiguring a human being, but it is the animal that gets euthanized. The same thing happened in TV Land years ago when there were real buffalo in fields here. Grandparents let their grandchildren go under a fence and go pet the NICE buffalo - you can guess the "rest of the story".
I would prefer that no animals having human interaction be KILLED. Just like the buffalo were sent away from stupid easily injured humans - so would I prefer that no breeds with a reputation and statistics of injuring humans (like topped by the Pit Bull) - be bred in the whole US. There are too many other breed choices!
But, I do like and believe your motto about knowledge and ignorance!
Closed Thread

Tags
pit, dog, jersey, attack, bull

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.